Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kreg Pocket Screw ???

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    They are each designed for a different application. The one with two flat paddles is for doing things like face frames. The one with the post on one side is for holding cabinet sides.

The drilling blocks for the K3 and I believe the K4 are removable, allowing them to be clamped to boards that won't work well in the mounted clamp.
    Correct. But I've found that the clamp with the post works better for alignment and tensioning on face frames than the one with two paddles. Maybe that's just me. It seems like the post version draws the two pieces together more tightly, and since the post fits in the pocket hole, I don't have to worry about marring a surface with overclamping. And, if the part's finished before assembly, the paddle clamp may mess that up, too.

I'm not sure I realized that the blocks are removable (though it makes perfect sense and I've had mine apart for adjustments many times ) since I've always had the separate rocket jig.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I'm going to hurry and try to get a K3 kit before they disappear and are replaced permanently by the K4. Sound like the K3 is a better bet.

Steve

Jump on the K3 while you can. Having the clamp lever on the front is very very nice. I can't believe they are not keeping that design, what's up with that???

If I had to guess on the clamp position change, it's so you don't have to mount the jig onto plywood like the K3 and its predecessor, the K2000 - but can just clamp it down to the bench via the front, like Rockler's photo - http://www.rockler.com/gallery.cfm?o...s_id=21327&r=1 . Goes with the home market/DIY'er a little better.

To be fair, most of the pocket holes I did were with the K2000 which had the clamp in the back like the K4. I broke down and bought the K3 because of the dust collection (which works great, BTW) but never quite got the hang of the front clamp. Figures that they'd change it back, but I'm not buying another one...

...unless they do something really cool with the K5...?

I was told by a tech support person from a company that reps Kreg that the K3's front handle design was in a patent dispute and that is why they moved it to the rear on the newer models. A step backward IMHO, but I am sure cheaper than fighting....
    Last edited by Rob Wright; 10-13-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spellin'
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Pocket holes

I just wanted to mention the HF offering. I have the Kreg and I think the HF is great. All metal.

http://www.harborfreight.com/portabl...kit-96264.html

Kreg is replacing the K3 in the 'master' system with the K4, claiming it's "based on feedback from a number of Kreg users". The bit now has a hex shank (instead of smooth), but all other parts are supposed to be the same.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.