Thread: Bandsaw Riser

Bandsaw Riser

Soon will be ordering a Grizzly G0555 14 inch bandsaw for the shop. I am considering adding the 6 inch riser. For those that have this setup is the 1 HP motor large enough to rip 10 inch hardwood? Main use would be for scroll work but want the ability to bookmatch.

Thank you

Scott,

I started out with the same set up, and still have that saw. It will resaw 10" with a good blade, but you have to go slow and take your time. Don't expect to be resawing 1/16 pieces off a blank at that size either. But if you are resawing 1/4 piece off the G0555 will do it. I suggest a woodslicer 1/2" blade or a laguna sheer force 5/8" resaw blade, both are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    Don't expect to be resawing 1/16 pieces off a blank at that size either.
    Why not? I can regularly resaw 1/16-1/32" with my G0457 at up to 10". Granted... different saw and more hp, but the 555 should be able to do better than a 1/4" resaw. No?
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    Why not? I can regularly resaw 1/16-1/32" with my G0457 at up to 10". Granted... different saw and more hp, but the 555 should be able to do better than a 1/4" resaw. No?
    I had trouble tensioning the blade tight enough to get a nice clean cut when resawing that much. At 1/16" I found problems getting an accurate clean cut all 10". If I went 1/4" there was enough material on both sides of the blade to stabilze it enough to get a more accurate cut. The G0457 is a steel frame saw designed to resaw 14" if I am correct. The chassis is more ridgid. When you add in the riser to one of these tiawainese, delta clones, they have some flex. It is still a great band saw, but mine has trouble tensioning the blade when you are resawing that much. I can cut 1/16 strips at 7" or smaller all day long. But over that the I just cant get the blade tight enough. But dont get me wrong I was able to resaw 10" and run it over the jointer for a nice clean face. But I have had blowouts and inaccurate cuts smaller than 1/4 at 10". I now have a 19" saw for resawing that works much better for real tall stuff.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 10-09-2010 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C. Williams View Post
    Soon will be ordering a Grizzly G0555 14 inch bandsaw for the shop. I am considering adding the 6 inch riser. For those that have this setup is the 1 HP motor large enough to rip 10 inch hardwood? Main use would be for scroll work but want the ability to bookmatch.

Thank you
    I am guessing when you say rip you mean resaw... If so I agree with Paul. It is very difficult to get very accurate thin veneers from any cast clone when you start talking resaws over 6" due to tensioning issues. The low HP can be offset somewhat by using a hardened spring steel blade with a thin kerf (Kerfmaster from Spectrum supply and Woodslicer from Highland) they dull rather quickly but they are mega sharp and have a very thin kerf which helps with cutting power and thin backing material which helps with tensioning on a cast clone.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    The G0457 is a steel frame saw designed to resaw 14" if I am correct.
    The 457 has a 10" resaw ability. And the rest of your post makes sense to me. I have a 14" cast saw as well as the 457, but have never tried a resaw on it because I have the steel frame saw set up for just that function.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Got a 14" saw but not a Grizz. When I put on a riser, I found the old 1 horse motor made cutting Oak panels, like those below, was painfully slow. Replaced the 1 horse with a 3 horse and made a great resaw machine. As for blades, I just use a 3 TPI hook tooth blade.
    Last edited by Mike Harrison; 10-10-2010 at 8:21 AM.
    Mike Harrison

with a good blade it should not be a problem. If you do add the riser, do it before you buy a lot of blades as they old blades won't fit.

I have one of the woodslicer blades and have been pleased with it.

Also, I just looked at the Grizzly site, and they have their 17" Polar Bear bandsaw on sale for $698 + shipping. It seems like a lot more saw for $150 or so more.
    Last edited by Darl Bundren; 10-09-2010 at 9:25 PM.

As stated, use a woodslicer. In fact, contact Louis Iturra and get a Bladerunner; It's exactly the same blade but it will cost you about $10 less. I believe you can use a 5/8" or even a 3/4" for resawing without problem. I just got the go555x 1.5 hp with the riser and am still experimenting. I don't fully agree with the steel saws being more rigid, from what I've read. By the way, you can also look into rewiring your motor for 220v which ends up giving you less bogging down, a bit more torque. If your motor has that capability, there'll be instructions in your manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Delpizzo View Post
    As stated, use a woodslicer. In fact, contact Louis Iturra and get a Bladerunner; It's exactly the same blade but it will cost you about $10 less. .
    Or get a Kerfmaster from Spectrum supply and pay even less...

Be aware that hardened spring steel blades like these dull quickly but allow saws to resaw above their "weight class" or save wood, but with a more capable saw or when ever last atom of wood savings is not that important there are better resaw blades.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

[QUOTE=Van Huskey;1531782]Or get a Kerfmaster from Spectrum supply and pay even less...

hmmm, I'll have to check that out. Louis also has Lenox blades. I like to go to him as he is incredibly knowledgeable about band saws, blades,etc. and I like to give a small biz like his business.

I was also thinking of looking into a bimetal blade as his prices are pretty reasonable. Thanks for the tip.