Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miter Saw size

Miter Saw size

Looking for input on whether to get a 12" miter saw, or a 10" sliding miter saw.

I want to be able to cut a 4x4 without having to turn the wood (at 90 deg). I don't do crown molding, or any fancy stuff. Mostly 2x lumber, up to 2x6, 2x8.

I'm leaning towards the 12" saw, but I'm poor.

Thoughts?

IF a non-slider has the capacity one needs I prefer a non-slider, less moving parts to introduce error.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaze Ficarra View Post
    Looking for input on whether to get a 12" miter saw, or a 10" sliding miter saw.

I want to be able to cut a 4x4 without having to turn the wood (at 90 deg). I don't do crown molding, or any fancy stuff. Mostly 2x lumber, up to 2x6, 2x8.

I'm leaning towards the 12" saw, but I'm poor.

Thoughts?
    I love easy questions.

Save yourself a couple hundred bucks and get the 12" chop saw. It will cut your 2x8 just fine.

You will also have a tool which is easier to transport, take up less room in the shop and handle the thicker woods.

-Steve

You guys are awesome :)

I was leery about the sliding mechanisms myself, especially on the lower level brands, which is what I can afford.

So, which of these two would you get?
    http://www.cpoprotools.com/products/zrr4120.html
    or
    http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reco...ned-miter-saws

I have a few small Bosch tools, and love them, but I've never dealt with Ridgid.

Or, a new Craftsman? http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...8&blockType=G8
    Last edited by Jaze Derr; 10-09-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    I wear my mind on my sleeve; I have a history of losing my shirt! -BNL
    A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!

Watch craigslist (tools) for a couple weeks, and some good looking DeWalt 705's will show up. Here (central NC) they go for $125 - $175 range, depending on their condition. You will most likely buy a new blade though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Watch craigslist (tools) for a couple weeks, and some good looking DeWalt 705's will show up. Here (central NC) they go for $125 - $175 range, depending on their condition. You will most likely buy a new blade though.
    I've been looking at the craigslist offerings for over a month now, and almost nothing decent
    I wear my mind on my sleeve; I have a history of losing my shirt! -BNL
    A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!

If you have a tablesaw that is 10 inch, I would think about the 10 inch miter saw. You could use the same blade on both

If all you are cutting is dimensional lumber, you probably don't need to worry about the slider's accuracy. You will save money buying 10" blades instead of 12" blades, if you are going to use it a lot.

I have the Ridgid

I have had the Ridgid 12" miter saw for several years. It has served me well and does cut accurately. It is mounted on the Ridgid MSUV. 12" blades are more expensive but do cut through 4x4s and handle almost all of my cuts. Larger cuts are done on my table saw. I buy the blades on sale, usually from Amazon. I don't know about the Bosch or Craftsman models you noted.

One 10" slider that has gotten pretty good reviews is the Triton, it is on sale at Highland.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/t...ith-laser.aspx

If you are going to buy Rigid you may want to think about not getting a CPO, mainly for the lifetime service agreement if you buy new.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    If you have a tablesaw that is 10 inch, I would think about the 10 inch miter saw. You could use the same blade on both
    A blade setup for a mitre saw and one for a table saw have little in common. One should not be used on the other. Odds are that the arbors are different.

I swap out my Freud and DeWalt 10" 40T blades between my CMS's and TS's all the time.
    Both my TS's have 5/8" arbors and both my 10" miter saws have 5/8" arbors.
    One reason I went w/the 10" was so I could use blades in both tools.

Sliders are a little different in that a negative hook is best in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dar Lounsbury View Post
    A blade setup for a mitre saw and one for a table saw have little in common. One should not be used on the other. Odds are that the arbors are different.
    Not really true, most negative hook blades work fine on a TS and miter saws are fine with a 0 degree hook blade, more of an issue with a RAS. Maybe there are some oddballs but in general most 10" miter saws and 10" table saws have 5/8" arbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaze Ficarra View Post
    I've been looking at the craigslist offerings for over a month now, and almost nothing decent
    Tools on CL are like grapes- they come in bunches. First there are none (when you really want one) and then there are a bunch (right after you paid too much for a lesser quality machine.) Right now on RDU CL is two DeWalt 705's. Both are $125

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Tools on CL are like grapes- they come in bunches. First there are none (when you really want one) and then there are a bunch (right after you paid too much for a lesser quality machine.)
    Or right after you exhausted your tool budget...