Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing a Pinnacle / LaserPro "Dongle Key" ?

Replacing a Pinnacle / LaserPro "Dongle Key" ?

So I'm a proud new owner of a 25W Pinnacle, but the original owner has misplaced the dongle key.

Online it's looking like $995 for a replacement set (including the software discs) - but I'm only needing the USB plug-in part.

Any suggestions to get just the key part ????

Mike

You can use the GCC Mercury drivers and run it direct off corel and bypass the software dongle issue.
    drivers should be at jorlink.com
    I have engravelab - Corel is better
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Thanks... very new at this, what exactly is the "dongle key" doing for me?

What do I lose by bypassing - the use of included Mercury software?
    And how does that limit me?

I am using Illustrator and Corel if it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike vonBuelow View Post
    Thanks... very new at this, what exactly is the "dongle key" doing for me?

What do I lose by bypassing - the use of included Mercury software?
    And how does that limit me?

I am using Illustrator and Corel if it matters.
    The dongle is a hardware device that is intended to protect the software that Rodney refers to. Your not really losing anything except use of Engravlab. Corel is a better choice anyway. As Rodney said, you can download the drivers and bypass the device.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

what exactly is the "dongle key" doing for me?"
    A "dongle" (be it usb, serial or parallel), is a device very much like a physical key for your car or house.

They are used to prevent software copying/piracy.

Even if you copied the software and gave to a friend, it would be useless (locked) without the dongle.

Now, with that said...

There are ways to "backup" the dongle using software.
    (The details of which are left as an exercise for the reader)

I'm not mentioning this for purposes of promoting any type of piracy, but for the exact scenario that you are facing:

You purchased some equipment, and the vendor refuses the replace the lost dongle at a nominal fee (~$35). Instead, they want you to purchase a whole new license.

You could even prove that you are the owner of the equipment, and they could confirm that SN:00001 did ship with that software and dongle, but they still refuse to sell a replacement dongle.

The "backup dongle" software would at least allow you to store the physical dongle in a safe place (literally in a fire proof safe) and save you the grief and hassle (not to mention the PITA factor) that some of the vendors out there are doing.

I am not against a vendor protecting their interests, any they could even lock a dongle to a specific machine serial number if they wanted to, but it's their less than ethical practices of instead of replacing the dongle for a nominal fee, they force you to purchase a whole new license instead.

That's like buying Adobe CS5 for $2000, the cd/dvd gets lost/scratched and they force you buy a whole new copy for another $2000. Heck, even Adobe will let you switch platforms (Win <-> Mac) and send you out new media for $25.

Same thing goes for vendors that limit/restrict what computer you can install a piece of software on.

Computers break, hard drives get upgraded. Time/computer limiting software these days is just ridiculous imnsho.
    Last edited by Robert Walters; 10-10-2010 at 7:13 PM.
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

I've dispatched a message to one of the good people at Signwarehouse, who's a member here at SMC... we'll see what he has to say first before I pass any judgement.

I dislike Dongles, they are good for the manufacturer but a major pain for the customer IMO. Loss of a dongle can mean having to purchase a very expensive piece of software again which is just unacceptable. I doubt that I will ever again purchase any machine or software that requires a dongle again.

Mike, not that I approve of piracy but there are places where you can get a software replacement for dongles. Like other pieces of protective gear dongles only prevent honest people from accessing software.

I would like to hear more about these lasers.

Also jorlink.com since their website indicated they have a rep in Richmond, VA, not far from me.
    Trotec Speedy 300 45W
    Universal VLS4.60 50W
    Universal M-300 50w
    ShopBot PRSAlpha48
    Techno LC4848
    Oneway 2436

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    You can use the GCC Mercury drivers...

Rodney,

Pinnacle's are just OEM'ed GCC ?

Just wondering where one could find the back up software for the harware key. I have two different ones and I am always worring about loosing one.
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Camaster Stinger III, Vectric Aspire
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Lasermaster 8.5, LXI Master Plus, Corel X4, Photograv, design shop pro
    Knight DC16, DK3 Mug Press, Hix HD400D, GX7000
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

No dongle for me

I accidently broke the dongle I had for my Mercury and have never missed it. I really didn't like Engravlab and have had much more success with Corel. The dongle is just an access key for the Engravlab Software. Pinnicle is just a renamed GCC.
    Gary Shoemake
    Green Creek NJ
    Mercury laser CLTT and color on crystal

Pinnacle dongle

So I'm a proud new owner of a 25W Pinnacle, but the original owner has misplaced the dongle key.

Online it's looking like $995 for a replacement set (including the software discs) - but I'm only needing the USB plug-in part.

Any suggestions to get just the key part ????

Mike
    As Mike said he is the new owner of a Pinnacle. I am the former owner.
    In fact Mike found me on SAWMILLCREEK to purchase it. I publicly apoligise for the problem that I have given him. Once we get through this it will turn up

The usb "dongles" install something to your system called Smart Sentinel or similar. It always runs and can cause havoc. I dont remember the problem I had but I hated it. Removed it. Havent looked back since. The security key does not do anything with the laser or the ability to print to it, it just keeps their editing program from loading. And their program sucks! I ended up with LaserMaster8 I think it was... Yuk.

Corel is a very good bet for working on the laser.
    GCC Laser Pro Mercury L25

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Kuzmeskus View Post
    As Mike said he is the new owner of a Pinnacle. I am the former owner.
    In fact Mike found me on SAWMILLCREEK to purchase it. I publicly apoligise for the problem that I have given him. Once we get through this it will turn up
    Greg,

I don't feel an apology is necessary, it wasn't you that forced the use of a dongle.

Simply put, happens. We all lose things.
    I know, I lost my mind years ago and never looked back!

Mike should probably try out Corel, seems it's a better choice anyway.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 10-11-2010 at 5:33 AM. Reason: language

I will be using Corel and AI, so I'm not worried.