Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What tools to take?

I think I'd take a Record 044 (with cutters), a Stanley 39 3/8", and a Millers Falls 85 - those are plough, dado and rabbet planes, plus a few carving chisels, in addition to the two bench chisels, block plane and dovetail saw. You can get a lot of case and cabinet work done with that. If it t'were me, I'd take my wide Norton Lily White Washita stone, figuring it would be the closest to one-stop shopping for sharpening and I could work to a razor's edge that would shave hair right off that stone. If I could possibly squeeze one more in, maybe a coarse india stone. I'd sacrifice clothes space for tool space, figuring you could always buy clothes, especially since it's a weird situation where you don't know where you're going until the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by John Neel View Post
    ....... a block plane, two chisels, a dovetail saw. I don't think taking a vise will be possible

I see myself making some boxes .....
    Hi John

For boxes ....

In addition to a dovetail saw ...

I'd add two extra blades to the blockplane - one with a high bevel for smoothing, and another with a moderate camber for roughing. The Veritas LA block plane would be ideal as you can add a tote and knob and convert it into a small #3 size plane.

3 bevel edge chisels: 1/8, 1/4, and 3/4" for dovetails

A small plough, such as the Record #43 (comes with 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4" blades) for grooving and small rebates.

A few marking tools: 6" double square, small cutting gauge (e.g. tiny double ended Veritas). Angles can be judged by eye.

Try and fnd room for two small F-clamps.

Regards from Perth

Derek

This is a first time post from a long time lurker. Before you decide what to take, you may want to take a look at a book called "How to Make Carpentry Tools" An illustrated manual by Aaron Moore with Musaemura Sithole. It was written to assist in the making of tools in developing countries from locally available materials.

Gary

Wink

I second Gary's suggestion.

And I'd like to add some of my own:

Depending on where you go, you may find it downright impossible to find a decent saw, plane, sharpening stone. Chisels can be improvised, as can marking blades and most else.

I'd highly recommend bringing some folding Japanese saws (from Silky) with spare blades. They'll serve you well, and allow you to do decent work even without vise or bench. They're also portable, and far better than most saws in some of these third world countries.

Secondly, I'd recommend a good sharpening stone. While it's fairly easy to get a coarse Carborundum stone pretty much anywhere, it's very hard to find the proper stones to get the final sharpening aside from Japan/USA. Of course, you could just lug some sandpaper or diamond paste.

Lastly, I'd bring one or two planes. Nothing fancy, but what you like to use. I've found that it's very hard to get a hand plane that really works. For me, I'd bring over a Muji plane, since I won't cry if it's stolen.

Of course, some people would argue that all you need is a good knife and some ingenuity.

As suggested,you may not be able to get other than the worst Chinese junk in a poor country. I'd certainly take tools like chisels that you need to be of decent quality. You could take a plane iron or 2 and make wooden bodies for them,like simple Krenov ones. There should be room for a steel rule. You could make wooden squares on site.

A saw would be useful. Possibly a Japanese type to save space,and to serve as a back,crosscut,etc. Not the greatest thing to have 1 saw,but one without a back would restrict you less.

Which country are we talking about?

You certainly don't want to take anything you're not willing to lose.

He doesn't know till he leaves which country.

Ahh, thanks. Clearly I am exposed as the skimmer and scanner that glosses over the answers to my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    He doesn't know till he leaves which country.

I recommend you follow what Sam Takeuchi has suggested. Sounds like excellent advice.

Marv

Catchyalater,
    Marv

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."

~Maya Angelou~

What an interesting question!

I have no experience in third world countries but Sam's advice has the ring of truth. Don't take anything you aren't willing to lose. I also like to travel light so I'd plan for that as far as I could.

A plane and a couple of chisels sound like a good idea. A wood plane would save weight. I'm not sure a dovetail saw is the best saw: perhaps some bow saw blades (cross cut and rip) and then make the wood parts of the bow saw when you get there? Maybe a scrub plane instead of a block plane?

I would not take a vise: way too heavy. Instead I think I'd learn how to make a shavehorse. You could probably make one with a saw and chisel.

Tape measure and marking gauge? Maybe a file to keep your saw blades sharp?

Love to hear other suggestions.

This sort of reminds me of "The Time Machine" movie where Rod Taylor went back in time to save the world, taking some things to help him. IRRC, he pulled a book from his library but it was never disclosed which title. You might want to consider a reference book of some sort in your list of "tools". The good news is you'll be coming back!

I suppose one factor will be what type of raw material you'll have access to. Once you get your destination worked out, I'd look at what night be available locally. For example, if all you'll have is rough timbers that's one problem. If you'll have rough dimensioned lumber that's another.

Enjoy your adventure.

The corollary is don't buy anything while you're there you wouldn't mind leaving behind.

Response

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I have quite a few new ideas and support for some of what I have thought. Self made tools and jigs would be a great way to save space. Locally purchased tools are also possible depending where I go.

I think the most surprising idea was the wood screws and nuts. I hadn't thought of that but I can do it.

Depending on the reliability of mail, I may be able to have some small tools sent to me.

I will know before I go whether the country is metric or not. I would really like to work with some local woodworkers if possible and should thus plan for whatever measuring system is used there.

I like the "learn to carve" suggestion. I have never done any serious carving and it intrigues me. A roll of carving tools would not be too large.

Several years ago I watched a young carpenter/woodworker repair a door jamb in the hotel where I was staying in Tanzania. Each room in the hotel was half of a circular building with its own exterior door. The door jamb was either rotted or termite damaged for about the first foot up from the concrete doorway. He had a saw, plane [about a number 5], hammer, nails, and a board that was oversize in all three dimensions. He cut the bad wood out, laid the board on the concrete sidewalk, and planed it while using a sort of curb stone to the sidewalk as a stop to brace the board. It was a very good repair. When I saw the painted result the next day I was very impressed with his skills in the situation. I hope to find some craftsmen like him to exchange ideas and skills with. It must be a different thing to do such work as a vocation with such restricted tools rather than as a hobby with just about anything I need as a tool.

It's getting interesting as I get closer to a departure. I will post more information to this thread when I get it and see if you have any more good ideas and suggestions for me.

Thank you again to all who posted.

John Neel

If you take up carving, you might want to look at that little honing system that Flexcut sells - it is pocket-sized and contains all the common profiles and honing compound - I love that thing for keeping carving tools honed as you work.

I know a very accomplished wood carver who learned carving while living overseas while his parents did missionary work. The nature of his evolution as a carver taught him the ability to do a great deal with just a few tools.