Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Notes Infill Plane

Shop Notes Infill Plane

I started on the Shop Notes Infill Plane.

I didn't like the idea of wood lever cap, so I made one out of brass with a stainless lever cap knob. Here's how it turned out:

I am waiting for the brass to come in from McMasters for the cheeks and the sole. Once that get's here I will get that rolling on the rest of it. I had a block of brass lying around that I was able to get the cap out of.

Now a question......What blade and chip breaker would you guys put in that plane if you were making it?

John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

John,

That is so very .

How did you go about milling the brass? Drill a few holes and file/sand the rest?
    Did you tap the hole for the screw? and make the screw to fit?

I'm all questions and no answers :grin:

I've been watching y'all make metallic planes for so long...Jan/Feb is my free shop time...but I'm saving pennies for a miterplane kit for next summer.

Hmmm...I think I would use a Lie-Nielsen blade and chipbreaker. The chipbreaker is one long, thick unit...should bed nicely under your levercap.
    I think I recall seeing a place that sells Norris style adjusters maybe someone else can fill in (Dave, Tom?).

Looking forward to your progress pictures.
    ~Dan

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Looks like a beautiful start! I wish I knew a little more about metal-working, so that I could hope to produce such a nice lever cap!

Steve and Dan,

I ran the Repair Division when I was in the Navy and I had a Machine shop onboard the last ship I was on. That's where I learned to work with brass and turn parts on the lathe. I am a bit rusty but I have a friend that's a Machinist and he let me use the equipment in his shop and he walked me through it. You can cut it out on a band saw and then sand it with a belt sander, and then buff it. And yes the lever cap is tapped and the lever cap knob is threaded through it.

John

edit: I meant to add that I drilled the hole that the brass pin will rest in before I cut the cap to shape on the band saw.
    Last edited by John Dingman; 12-21-2004 at 8:15 PM.
    Woodworking:

Beautiful work! That will be a great tool...almost too nice to use.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

John, I really like the brass cap, too...nice job! I'm thinking about making this plane, too, one of these days, just for grins and maybe it might even work well. Who knows??
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John,

"machine shop" were not the words I was hoping to hear

I suppose a cove router bit could cut the pin relief...if shallow passes were taken. Brass mills fairly easily, yes?

Thanks again.
    ~Dan

Hey somebodys got to work in metal

By the way beautiful brass part, even you are rusty, couldn't much better if you were bright and shiney.

Outstanding, John! Big improvement over the Shopnotes version!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Moening
    I think I recall seeing a place that sells Norris style adjusters maybe someone else can fill in (Dave, Tom?).
    There are a couple of places that I know of:

http://www.spehar-toolworks.com/adjusters.html
    toolsforworkingwood

After attempting to make my own norris style adjuster, I would say that the Iles adjuster at toolsforworkingwood.com is a bargain in my opinion. I didn't realize it was only $70 or I would have just bought it instead of trying to make one. Of course, a lot of people question the need for an adjuster at all. For something like this, I don't think I would bother. It would only make it harder to make, and probably wouldn't make it that much better.

edit: Just noticed that toolsforwoorkingwood is out of the adjusters though.
    Last edited by Gary Bingham; 12-22-2004 at 1:05 AM.

John,

Incredible!!!!!!! You are the man. I can't wait to see the rest.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice Job

John,

Nice job so far on the plane. Which issue of shop notes did that plan appear in? Also is that a kit or a plan?

Keep up the great work.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Keating
    Which issue of shop notes did that plan appear in? Also is that a kit or a plan?
    Mike, it's a plan from the current issue, Volume 14, Issue 79, of Shop Notes Magazine. You can download the plans (PDF) from their web site: www.ShopNotes.com

Thanks,
    John
    Woodworking:

Where are the plans?

Am I blind? I can not find where at the web site referenced that plans for a shop built plane are even mentioned.

Peter Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gavin
    Am I blind? I can not find where at the web site referenced that plans for a shop built plane are even mentioned.
    Pete, look here: http://www.shopnotes.com/main/onlineextras.html

The plans for the full size plane: http://www.shopnotes.com/main/pdf/79...nePatterns.pdf

The plans for the Block Plane: http://www.shopnotes.com/main/pdf/79-BlockPlane.pdf

Hope that helps,
    John
    Woodworking: