Thread: Not Sure It Would Hold Together-it did

Not Sure It Would Hold Together-it did

Found a piece of Mulberry in a brush pile last spring. Cut this piece of the tree out and sealed the ends. It had a branch growing out of it with a very close angle to the main branch. Main part of the tree was about 8 inches across and the branch about 2" across. As you can see the bark grew inside the main part of the tree. Not really sure it is much to look at but wanted to give it a go. Only finish so far is home brew danish oil. Don't believe I have any plans to fill the voids. About 6" across and 2.25 deep. Comments welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's great!! Found some of that a while ago in my BIL yard. Made some great pens! A little satin finish may not hurt
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Dang...

I'da thought it would turn to shrapnel long before it was finished...

Nice job.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

That looks like a "I just wanted to see if I could" kind of bowl. Nice color. I think trying to fill would take away a lot of its charm!

Steve that is a great looking bowl. I definitely would not fill the void. Leave the character.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wow! That's great! It looks like lightning had cut the gap.
    Last edited by Josh Bowman; 10-11-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    That looks like a "I just wanted to see if I could" kind of bowl. Nice color. I think trying to fill would take away a lot of its charm!
    Yep, and he can do it! Cool piece. I assume a glue block was used to hold this?

Steve, that is an amazing looking bowl. Each time I log on here I see something outstanding. It amazes me how you held that together while turning it.
    Billy

That's really cool! Congratulations on keeping it together!!

WOOW Steve, I don't know how you managed.
    When I face such a situation I wrap the outside in plastic film. It does hold every thing together and does not leave any trace of glue as it has none

Looks very cool!

Steve, I love the mulberry and you found a great piece to work with! I think since it is so tough and fiberous wood it lends itself to the wild style of turning what most would just burn up!

Great job,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

That's a really cool looking bowl. Congrats on keeping it together.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

That is one very nice looking bowl! Great job. That had to have been a major challenge to face. Good job keeping it in one piece.

Thanks for all the kind comments. Just lucky to find that piece and believe that something good might come of it. I turned a tenon on the bottom then into the chuck and hollowed the inside out slowly. The bark was flying out the the now voids most of the time. Plan to finish with satin lacquer and leave it at that.