Thread: Tenoning Jig - Buy or make?

Tenoning Jig - Buy or make?

What are your experiences with a tenoning jig? I'm tossed whether to buy or make. I've read all kinds of reviews on all the different models and here's what I've discovered so far:

1. Most of the models are similar castings with different paint on them and sometimes different handle locations.
    2. Every model has the same reviews. Some love, some hate, some are unimpressed with the fit of the jig in the miter slot, some say it rocks back and forth.
    3. There are tons of homemade jig plans out there that claim to do the same thing

I think for cheapest price, it's the Grizzly. But, I'm not sure if I should buy this jig (or a different brand) or try to make one....

I vote to make one. I built one with the idea that if it was bad I could always buy one.

I'd rather put the $$ towards a good rabbeting or shoulder plane.

If you have a Fine Woodworking online subscription, they compare/review ALL the majors here.

I think you can get a free 2wk trial subscription, too.

I have the Woodcraft clone. Like it fine.

There's ALWAYS that old "buy vs. build" decision to be made. For this one, the $60-ish bucks was pretty much a no-brainer.

I found a Delta on CL and one day I'll clean the cosmoline off of it and use it. But just judging by weight, I can't imagine anything I could reasonably build that would be that solid. Plus Norm uses the same model .

An alternative method: Running your work flat on the table saw with a dado set and either the miter gauge or a sliding table makes quick work of tenoning.

I had a recent need for one. Planned on making my own, but then woodcraft had that "tent sale" online back in July, and I grabbed the tenoning jig for $36.

I took the time to set it up properly. A little tuning and it fits perfectly in my miter slot, and made perfect tenons. Took maybe two hours to set up.

I paid <$50 for my Woodcraft one. I for that little cash, I can't see wasting a whole day making one.

I made one to ride the fence, then bought a Delta jig. Easier to set angles.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I paid <$50 for my Woodcraft one. I for that little cash, I can't see wasting a whole day making one.
    +1 Had mine for some time now, the few times I've used it it has been easy to set up angle cuts and straight cuts. I usually cut a little fat then sneek up on the final fit. For the money I paid it is extremely worth it, and like another person said in a previous thread, it adjusts for angles which is a nice feature when you need it.
    Best of Luck,
    Kevin

Blog Entries
    Like Cary I paid around $50 on sale for the Rockler one (that comes with Powermatic instructions but is painted blue). For that much I would buy and enjoy the weight and stability of the cast iron. I did have to "fit" my miter bar as it was not adjustable. Any miter bar that is not adjustable will fit poorly on many machines. I'm one of those who use it a lot and am glad to have it. I also have a dovetail jig that I use not at all so . . . I'm one for two ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you have the time to make one, you can make more than one and have them such that they fit your individual needs. If you are like me and struggle for time for furniture projects, then buying isn't a horrible idea...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had one I made that rode the fence that I made years and 3 saws ago. It worked OK but occasionally it would rock (or something) and cut a narrow tenon. Earlier this year I got a Grizzly tenon jig and the home made jig has since been retired. Once it's set up it's a lot more accurate and easier to use, or at least just as easy. I also have a vintage Delta 1172, (it was my dad's) and it's really cool looking, but honestly I use the Grizzly jig more because it's easier to adjust.

No, the 1172 is not for sale.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    An alternative method: Running your work flat on the table saw with a dado set and either the miter gauge or a sliding table makes quick work of tenoning.
    +1. Haven't used a tenoning jig since highschool shop.

-Steve