Thread: Rockler Dovetail Jig

Rockler Dovetail Jig

Anybody have experience with this machine?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ilter=dovetail

I'd like a Liegh jig, but you know....$$$$$$$$. This seems like a pretty good price for a complete setup. Is the Leigh really the best? If there is no comparison I might wait until I save up for the Leigh. Otherwise, like I said, this looks like a good price.

Blog Entries
    I have one and it is a pretty good jig. I bought it before I found Sawmill Creek so I might have done something different if I had tapped the knowedge here first. Akeda and Leigh make great jigs but the also have great prices. If I were going to upgrade, I would do some serious comparisons of Akeda, Leigh, and Porter Cable. PC is priced between Rockler and the others.

Important features to me are variable spacing on the dovetails, standard bits/bushings, and ease of use. The Rockler is easy to use but stikes out on the other two.

For a beginning jig it's good. Not too expensive, easy to set up and use, and as you gain experience with it you will kow what to look for in your next jig. It's not so expensive that you would feel bad about upgrading down the road (and you could probably resell it to recoup some $).

Be prepared for all the comments about how you should hand cut your dovetails.

I have the Rockler Jig and have had good luck with it. I think they all have somewhat of a learning curb. For the price, as others have said, it does what it says. The dust collector is a big plus. I’m not crazy about the 8mm bits and adaptor but I think some quality ¼” bits would do as good of job but I haven’t tried that route yet. I don’t do enough dovetails that I could justify the other jigs and I don’t have the patience or desire for the hand cut route.

Additional Question

This jig fits stock up to 11" wide. How many of you have had a need for stock beyond 11" wide. Say, for the 18" Leigh jig. I am trying to run through all possible scenarios where I might need more than a 11" piece with dovetails. Kind of depends on what projects come up I guess. I often find myself thinking better to have and not use than not have and need.

Nice thing about the Leigh is it can do variably spaced pins/tails. Leigh and Akeda seem to be the faves at the top end.

The PC gets better overall ratings in the midprice range than the Rockler.

If you really just want a quick and dirty jig until you can get a Leigh, then I've had good luck with the MLCS. At $60, it comes with 1/2" pin/tail bits and the template. You have to make a jig block, and there's no dc, but it made perfect joints for me on 2 chests I just made. No width restriction, either.

Blog Entries
    I have the Rockler jig and it does what it says it will do. The dovetails are accurate and fit together well once you get everything adjusted. There is a learning curve and their instruction on mine weren't very clear.

One trick I learned is that on narrow pieces you need a scrap piece of stock under the opposite side to get even clamping pressure.

A second trick is to blow out the chips before sliding a piece in against the stops for your set up. Chips can lay against the side stop and prevent proper positioning of the piece for the cut.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The Porter-Cable is considered by many to be the better jig. It has clear instructions and an aluminum template.

In reference to the higher dollar jigs they have the benefit of being much more versatile. One must note that PC has jigs in the middle price range but the Omni 16 & 24" are in the same price range as the Akeda and Leigh. Of these it tends to be a love or hate relationship. The problem is it can cost a lot to find the one you really fall in love with. I could tell you I prefer the PC BUT that is as useful as telling you I like strawberry ice cream and you should too.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    There's a PC for sale here on the Creek. I guess I can't post a link to the classifieds or I don't know how but search for Porter Cable Dovetail jig 4210 - Maine and you should find it (if you have access to the classifieds. I think you have to make the $6 donation)
    Last edited by Jim Rimmer; 10-12-2010 at 11:01 PM.

I have the Rockler. The dust collection is a plus as it gets pretty messy without it. It works fine for a middle of the road jig for someone that doesn't do a lot of dovetails and doesn't want to invest too much in a jig. My only complaint is the router bits and collet. It is kinda a pain to get the 8 mm collet in a 1/2 inch router without it seating too far in. They also have different templates that can be added to the jig for different dovetails.