Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jet vs. Steel City vs. Delta drill press

For what it's worth, it is way out of my price range for now, but the Steel City 20525 is on my "If I won the lotto today" list...

If you can pinch that sucker into the budget, it sure looks like an awesome machine....
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Grizzly has been teasing the idea of a dedicated WWing drill press for a while. No idea on their time-line or price point however. Depending on your time-line you could wait to see what that is about.

Blog Entries
    Considering Shiraz has said some projects are still several years out from completion, I wouldn't hold my breath on anything that's just a rumor coming to the marketplace any time soon...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Considering Shiraz has said some projects are still several years out from completion, I wouldn't hold my breath on anything that's just a rumor coming to the marketplace any time soon...

For me if it is out when I buy I will look at it but I doubt based on Shiraz's posts it will be. If I could just take the split head, table and low speed from the new Delta 18-900 and put it on the PM2800 I would be a very happy guy.

Yeah, but he spoke about it last year! Its got be almost done.

Sorry, newbe question. What does the "split head" feature give you?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Whig View Post
    Sorry, newbe question. What does the "split head" feature give you?

Bill
    It gives you the ability to compensate for wear over time to keep the DP accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    It gives you the ability to compensate for wear over time to keep the DP accurate.
    Bill W: Van, as usual, is correct. He seems to have been overcome by a blast of brevity. Since it took me a long time to figure out WTF a split head was, please allow me:

If you stand in front of the DP, directly above the quill/spindle [the steel shaft that rides up and down when you rotate the handle], on a split head design you will see a "slot". To the side, there will be a bolt/something/etc. you use to tighten the casting as it wears over time.

Sooo.........With a split head, you snug the "something" on the side a small smidgen against the slot to stop the shimmy in the slightly sloppy spindle till you are satisfied. I suppose you sorta see. Si?

This post was brought to you by the Letter S.....[wait for it]....Sesame Street.

Sheesh. Slap me. Its the Sierra Nevada saying this s***.

Sorry.

Sayonara.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Have you checked any of the DP's offered by General Canada? (not General International).

PM stuff has apparently slipped in quality the last few years, I'm looking at the PM2800 myself.
    As always, YMMV...
    Is it because it is now most of their tools are produced in China, not Taiwan?

Thank you and Van, both, for your answers.

Bill

Another SC owner

I've got the SC and have been very happy with it. I had some concerns about the company at the time, but I really was seduced by the 6" quill travel. Also I got a great price.

Mainly I'm doing woodworking, with just a little associated metalworking, and I agree with some of the other poster's comments. All of the important stuff on the press is done very well. The plastic belt guard feels cheesy but works fine, the gooseneck lamp can be annoying, and I bought the laser kit for giggles but I'm not sure I'd spend that $39 if I had to do it over.

All in all no regrets.
    -Dan D.

Ray's rule for precision:

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Delpizzo View Post
    Have you checked any of the DP's offered by General Canada? (not General International).

Great DPs no question but don't they start at 3-4 times his budget?