Thread: Belt sander, which one to buy?

Belt sander, which one to buy?

I'm looking at the Ridgid R2720 Sander, 3-Inch X 21-Inch Belt Sander, $159.

Any thoughts on this one for general woodshop functions?

Thanks,
    Phil

Function and style wrapped into one...

An older worm drive belt sander won't even compare to what is in production today! You might have to search for a bit, but the deals are out there. I just bought a Skil (like the above picture) for $45 including shipping last night on eBay.

I've heard the Ridgid is really good. I bought a very lightly used Bosch about a year ago for $40. And I wouldn't trade it for anything. I had a Craftsman and an older Porter Cable (not like the one in the picture). And my Bosch is much better quality and feels better. But it's also a 4x24 so it's bigger than the Ridgid.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

All I can say is that Ridgid 2720 really sand but if you like dust then its the one for you.

I hate the thing, it blows dust everywhere and runs somewhat hot. I have made an adapter for it to put on the shop vac and that helped some but not much. After you have used it for awhile there is a fog on in the room, you have to ware a mask.

It does have slow start and it does track really well but I wish I had never got it.

If I could I think I would look at the Bosch

Another vote for Porter Cable. Your grandkids will be passing it on....
    Mike Harrison

Odd, Bill.

I got the refurb'd version of the ZRR2720, and have NOT had the Dust Bowl of the 1930's, during use.

Mine seems to capture a pretty fair amount, in its little collection bag.

And/but ... I always set the box fan, with the HEPA filter strapped on ... right by the work piece, whenever I'm doing any real sanding.

I think it's a lot of sander for the money.

Blog Entries
    I have a Porter Cable and its been good.

I recently saw a thread about a Makita that the guy really loved.

PHM

One cool thing about one of the Makita models is that one side is perfectly flat on it so that you can simply clamp it to a table top to have a portable bench belt sander. I think it's the 9903 model, not sure...

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    Odd, Bill.

I got the refurb'd version of the ZRR2720, and have NOT had the Dust Bowl of the 1930's, during use.

Mine seems to capture a pretty fair amount, in its little collection bag.

And/but ... I always set the box fan, with the HEPA filter strapped on ... right by the work piece, whenever I'm doing any real sanding.

I think it's a lot of sander for the money.
    That is odd, I guess I need to look into that, when I say it dust I mean it really buts out the dust. I have a shop vac on it and it still gets dust everywhere.

When I use the bag I get almost as much dust between the bag and the motor as I get in the bag.

Maybe I have a problem with it, I do agree it is a sanding fool, but the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Function and style wrapped into one...

An older worm drive belt sander won't even compare to what is in production today! You might have to search for a bit, but the deals are out there. I just bought a Skil (like the above picture) for $45 including shipping last night on eBay.
    That Take-About is gorgeous, is it yours?
    I have one I bought at an auction for $4 that needs cleaned up. I also have my fathers A4 that has less than 30 minutes on it. It will last 3 lifetimes if cared for.

At Home Depot today the Ridgid is listed with a lifetime warranty, where the Porter Cable has 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Gibbens View Post
    That Take-About is gorgeous, is it yours?
    I have one I bought at an auction for $4 that needs cleaned up. I also have my fathers A4 that has less than 30 minutes on it. It will last 3 lifetimes if cared for.
    I wish!

It was listed on eBay recently, might even still be on there, for $450....

I passed on a A2 recently for under $30, it used only 2" belts which I think might be hard to come by.

I keep on dreaming of the day I run through a flea market and grab a sub $10 locomotive sander, I have read of plenty of people that have done it...

I am a fan of the Dewalt 433K and like it better than the recent vintage PC sanders.

Porter Cable

Philip,

I asked the same question several months back and I ended up buying a barely used Porter Cable 362 sander on the Bay for under $100. It is a real workhorse.

Bill

Try the search button. This thread is only a month old...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=148152
    My favorite cologne is BLO