Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to have to wait for your Sale-Priced DVR

Unhappy Going to have to wait for your Sale-Priced DVR

Just went on to Woodcraft to order me one of the Nova DVR XP lathes. They're still on sale for $550 off through the 30th of October, but you're going to have to wait until next year to get one.

Their page states "Order now for current pricing. Item will ship after 01/01/2011"

Was hoping to make some new shavings on the new lathe, but going to have to wait a while. Still a super price though.

Clint

You might check with some of the local stores to see if they have any in stock.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Another possibility would be to check with Sean Ackerman at ToolNut and see if they are honoring the sale price. Good folks, and a big supporter of SMC!!

That is a good price! I wish you luck in finding a lathe sooner than sometime next year!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

5. trade issues?

This delay of having units in stock seems to go across the market spectrum. I have heard of delays in shipping with Laguna, Grizzly and now Nova.....all made in China, and I am wondering if the issue is getting shipments from China.

I heard there were issues between the Chinese gov't and the U.S. gov't. about trade deficits, and the chinese were upset, and there was talk of retaliation. Could slow shipments be at play in this dispute?

It just seems that I hear more about this kind of thing across the board from all makes. I am wondering if Jet and PM will be next, because they have a relationship to the Grizzly line and Laguna as well.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The Jet and PM lathes (at least the 1642 and 3520) are made in Taiwan, including the components, so they shouldn't be subject to the same issues if it is in fact a matter of the trade disputes with China.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt View Post
    The Jet and PM lathes (at least the 1642 and 3520) are made in Taiwan, including the components, so they shouldn't be subject to the same issues if it is in fact a matter of the trade disputes with China.

Jake,

You may be correct about the shipping from Taiwan. Taiwan is a republic of China, but there may be a difference in factory locations, etc.

Related to components.........I have recently turned on a PM3520b [the second of two that I have turned on] and they do have some of the same parts as my Grizzly G0698. The locking handles on the banjo that locks in the toolrest are the same as on the 3520b, and my tool rest and banjo are identical to the ones on the Jet 1642.

I think these components are used throughout the line up, and that the manufacturer of the PM and Jet also produce some units of the Grizzly and other lines as well.

This is what makes me wonder about the slow shipments issue. I know that several vendors seem to be having delays in getting the units as they had projected.

Clint,
    This morning I went to the Woodcraft website and purchases the Nova 1624 on sale. I was also told about the Jan 1 delivery date, but still ordered it. I figured I would then try my local Woodcraft store. They had it in stock. The total price from the store including tax, was less than the one on line with shipping. Just thought you might be interested. Perhaps the same will apply to the DVR, and you won't have to wait till next year!!
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Ginsberg; 10-14-2010 at 3:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Jake,

You may be correct about the shipping from Taiwan. Taiwan is a republic of China, but there may be a difference in factory locations, etc.

Related to components.........I have recently turned on a PM3520b [the second of two that I have turned on] and they do have some of the same parts as my Grizzly G0698. The locking handles on the banjo that locks in the toolrest are the same as on the 3520b, and my tool rest and banjo are identical to the ones on the Jet 1642.

I think these components are used throughout the line up, and that the manufacturer of the PM and Jet also produce some units of the Grizzly and other lines as well.

This is what makes me wonder about the slow shipments issue. I know that several vendors seem to be having delays in getting the units as they had projected.
    Roger, please stop confusing the People's Republic of China and Taiwan Republic of China; they are distinctly different countries. If a machine says "Made in China", it is made in the PROC. As I've stated repeatedly, the Jet and PM are made in Taiwan which is a separate and sovereign nation from PROC. The castings, the motor, the Delta inverter are all marked such. That isn't to say there aren't some Chinese pieces here and there (I don't know specifically). But unification has not taken place and who knows if it will, so the differing country of origin means the machines themselves are not coming out of the same factory.

The castings for some of the parts are rather generic and are likley shared, and perhaps some of those components do actually come from the same factory. That doesn't make the actual machine made in the same factory. My Shop Fox (i.e Grizzly) jointer is made in China and has some castings and parts identical to the USA made Delta DJ20.

Hey Clint!

I too recommend checking out a Woodcraft store. I work at one, and we ordered a number of Nova 1622-44s and DVRs before the sale started. I would imagine other stores did the same thing. Every time this sale comes around both these lathes sell like crazy. Good Luck!

Hutch

Jet Lathe Sale in November

Spoke to the people at Jet yesterday and their lathes are supposedly going on sale in mid November. If you can't wait you can always cancel your DVR order and go for the Jet 1642. That is what I will be buying when the sale starts.

12. Thank you, Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt View Post
    Roger, please stop confusing the People's Republic of China and Taiwan Republic of China; they are distinctly different countries. If a machine says "Made in China", it is made in the PROC. As I've stated repeatedly, the Jet and PM are made in Taiwan which is a separate and sovereign nation from PROC. The castings, the motor, the Delta inverter are all marked such. That isn't to say there aren't some Chinese pieces here and there (I don't know specifically). But unification has not taken place and who knows if it will, so the differing country of origin means the machines themselves are not coming out of the same factory.

The castings for some of the parts are rather generic and are likley shared, and perhaps some of those components do actually come from the same factory. That doesn't make the actual machine made in the same factory. My Shop Fox (i.e Grizzly) jointer is made in China and has some castings and parts identical to the USA made Delta DJ20.
    Thank you Jake,

Everything you said I am fully aware of. I know Taiwan has not been unified as of yet with China, and that all makes are not necessarily made at the same factory. All that is a given. I was not confused at all about that or the differences in the place of manufacture. If I was not clear, I do apologize......sometimes my typing gets in the way of me saying what I really mean, and I end up being clear as mud, but not intentionally.

You have stated the connections that are likely components shared by what seems to be many makes. My point is that there are indeed connections from different makes [i.e. Grizzly, Jet, PM] and what exactly they are we don't know, but they are there, and components are surely shared amongst different models.

I don't think we have a disagreement here, and it certainly was not my intention to have one. We may be going at the same point from different directions

Your point about the castings being generic, etc. points to both our observations. I do know that some of the parts on my G0698 are identical to some on the PM3520b and the Jet 1642.

I think it is nice that we can talk shop on a forum like this, and I appreciate you making your points, and to the degree that you straightened me out, I want to say thank you!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 10-15-2010 at 11:36 AM.

No luck

I contacted ToolNut about availability/price on a Nova lathe. Sean got back to me and notified me that Teknatool only supplies chucks to them, no lathes.

Clint

The last I talked to Sean Ackerman at ToolNut they do not carry and Nova lathes. I would call your local stores.

Red face Price Matched

Talked to Craft Supplies USA and they did a price match on the Woodcraft sale price. Cancelled the backordered one from Woodcraft and have one coming. Shipping is going to run be about another hundred but don't have to wait until 2011 before expecting the lathe.

Roger at Craft Supplies was very helpful and even price matched the inserts for my Oneway Talon chucks after I mentioned that Oneway had a lower price than theirs.

It was a pleasure doing business with them and now I have my new lathe on the way.

Clint