Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robust ?

I turned on one for a few hours .... amazing machine!

I know fellow Creeker and friend, Ed Sandle, has one and he keeps inviting me over to try out his lathe! I sure would like to do that but am really scared at how expensive that trip just might turn out to be!

Plus, Colleen keeps telling me that if I want one - then go get it! Maybe once I start selling my turnings...
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve,
    Going to visit Ed, would probably cost you more than winning a $20 gift certificate.

robo hippy

Just like I thought

Thanks everybody for your comments. Looks like I had better start selling off some other toys that I don't use any more. This will probably have to wait until spring but that is ok.
    It sure will be a change turning on a Sweet 16 instead of my 1950s Conover. What a jump! Going from a wooden bed to stainless steel.
    Thanks again for all the help and, yes, There will be pictures when I get it.
    Duff

Rember: Experience is what you get just after needed it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Whitney View Post
    I too had my first Robust experience in Bill Grumbine's shop. I was set on buying a Mustard Monster but Bill convinced me otherwise.

I don't turn many 25" pieces (OK, none so far) on my American Beauty, but that capacity makes the lathe feel roomy. The swing-away tailstock is wonderful.

Ken
    Ken, I could not agree more, there are so many inherent design flaws in mustard that one is well advised to seek and evaluate alternatives. David Woodruff
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Duff Bement View Post
    Thanks everybody for your comments. Looks like I had better start selling off some other toys that I don't use any more. This will probably have to wait until spring but that is ok.
    It sure will be a change turning on a Sweet 16 instead of my 1950s Conover. What a jump! Going from a wooden bed to stainless steel.
    Thanks again for all the help and, yes, There will be pictures when I get it.
    Hey Duff,

If you have a 1950's Conover, you might want to list it on ebay. I think they started selling them in the 80's.

Also Ernie had the first lathe bed that would not rust.

That Sweet 16 looks great, I am sure you will love it.

Best wishes,

Dave

HI Duff,
    I see you live in Minn. Brent is up in Wisconsin. I do not know what the distance is but it might be worth calling him to find out. Heck you can plan a drive to his place and check em out first hand. Lathes are not cheap and it might be worth and might be fun going to see him first hand.

Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders