Thread: Barbie House question

Barbie House question

I am planning a Barbie house project. For reasons of limited space, the Barbie house will fold up after play, similar to the way bi fold doors open and close.

I would like to wire the house for a 12V lighting system, but I am stuck trying to think of ways to conduct the electric current from one folding panel to another.

Wires can be pinched between the panels, or metal fatigue can cause them to snap. Also wires would need to be longer when the panels are in the storage position, but shorter in the "play" position when the panels are flat side by side.

I thought about using the hinges as conductors, but I don't think uninsulated conductors are a good idea, even if it is only 12V DC.

It has been done before - for example, look at hotel doors - they all lock electronically now.

Can anyone help me with some ideas or point me at a some products out there somewhere?

Thanks!
    regards
    Malcolm

I would make sure to use stranded wire. You probably don't need more than 20 gauge wire. The more strands the better.

Then, leave enough wire so there is a little slack when the panels are folded.

There are flexible copper circuits, but they are usually custom. You might get lucky and find something from an old printer.

Bill

I would use something like a car door contact, so that when it is fully open, they conduct from one side to the other. Put it on a switch, so that it is safe when closed.
    https://www.streetrodhq.com/shop/sea...searchbtn.y=20

Laptops send lots of signals across the hinge without much failure. The way they do it is to position the wire so that it twists when the case opens rather than bends. This spreads out the flexing over about 2" of wire instead of bending in the same place every time.

Also, you probably only need 24 ga or even smaller stranded wire.

Your idea of using the hinges might work well also. Send + on one hinge and - on the other. 12V is completely safe, even around kids.

Steve

I'd ask Ken for advice on this.

Blog Entries
    You might look for a ribon tape. It's a flat wire conductor used to jump across circuit boards. You mightr also look at 3v LED's for lights.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.