Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Compact Routers

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    ...wish they would come out with that plunge base for the Bosch Colt that they have been talking about.
    Is "they" Bosch or forum folks?

Noah,

As I remember, there was a report on a trade or hardware show where it was reported Bosch was introducing a new Colt kit with a plunge base.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post

What I find most confusing about the whole thing is that they seem to have decided that Porter Cable is their low-end brand. I find that strange since Porter Cable was the leader in routers for so long. Why destroy that and make them #2??
    I could be wrong about this but I figured it was because Black & Decker/DeWalt bought Porter-Cable, not vice versa.

"Stanley Black & Decker" is the company that owns all those brands.

A short history;

http://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/company/history

The brands;

http://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com...ces/our-brands
    Last edited by Will Overton; 10-18-2010 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Check this out:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings...uter_Base.html

You can get attachments too. It's an absolute pleasure doing fiddly inlay work with this thing.
    This base doesn't plunge, does it? If it does, I don't see that anyplace in the product description.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    This base doesn't plunge, does it? If it does, I don't see that anyplace in the product description.
    No, it doesn't plunge, but with the tiny bits I use, and the shallow depth of cut for inlay work, it really doesn't matter. You just tilt it into the cut. If you really don't have room for that because of fine work, I have a pin vise that I chuck a tiny bit into and make a starter hole.

The circle cutting attachment is very cool to. It makes a very accurate channel and very accurate through cuts.

It's definitely a step up from doing this kind of work with a laminate trim router in my opinion.

Glad to hear that, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Noah,

As I remember, there was a report on a trade or hardware show where it was reported Bosch was introducing a new Colt kit with a plunge base.

Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    hey everyone,
    Eagle America has the compact Dewalt on sale for $139

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/...brand_-_dewalt

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregoire View Post
    hey everyone,
    Eagle America has the compact Dewalt on sale for $139

That is without the plunge base which they have for $199, so I think it is just the normal street price that was expected.

I have been considering the Dewalt DWP611PK since I first saw it. I already own the Bosch 1617evs combo. The price being almost as much as a full sized router, and one person saying that the plunge base was not well made in his opinion, almost made me not buy the router. I just received the DWP611pk for Christmas. Having never held the router, I examined it very closely. I have to say, I am very impressed with the build quality, feel, smooth motor and ease of use. I think Dewalt has a real winner with this router. I was first considering the Bosch Colt or Ridgid palm routers. I think this router is a much better router for my woodworking needs than either the Bosch Colt or Ridgid palm routers would have been. If you have been considering this Dewalt, get it, you will love it. Thanks to SMC for such a great WW forum.

Kevin

I telephoned Bosch a few weeks ago and asked the representative whether Bosch was considering bringing out a plunge base for the Colt, or even whether they were considering a new model of the Colt which would have a plunge base. The answer that I got was "no" to both questions. Of course, I don't know whether this is just Bosch's current position on the subject and whether that position might change after they see how much interest there is in the DeWalt model.

I bought two of the Dewalts for my step son and I in early December. They were available through Amazon but shipped from CPO. The PC units are not variable speed and do not have the LEDs. I paid basically the same for the Dewalt as what Woodcraft is advertising the PC units. They work well but I haven't yet used it much so will wait until I have more experience before forming an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    It just needs someone to make a remarkable sub-base for it.
    Just added to our inventory this past season!

Blog Entries
    has anyone bought either of these routers and tried them out? if so, how do you like or dislike them? please fill us in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregoire View Post
    has anyone bought either of these routers and tried them out? if so, how do you like or dislike them? please fill us in.
    Take a look at this.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...walts+new+baby