Thread: Planers Portable vs Stationary

Question Planers Portable vs Stationary

I need a planer that can handle say 100 - 150 board feet a week. Any recommendations?

Allen,

What price range? What type of wood, width, length, etc. How good of finish do you need? What other equipment do you have, i.e., do you want to go with a muli-function machine.

Also, you may want to do a search on "planer" as there have been many things posted on the subject.

Regards, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

First of all, sorry for not being more specific, but I just spent an hour writing my whole lif story into this post and lost it all in one click. I just posted that from frustration.

I will be working mainly with cedar, white oak, pine, and mahogony. Those are the most readily available woods in my area. Though I think pine will get the most playtime. I will also be using lots of rough lumber since the planers that the wood suppliers have like to eat the wood. Yes they, ALL have crappy planers. To top it all off flat wood is extremely hard to find. It's almost always twisted, cupped or bowed. I know I need a jointer and I'm planning on at least a 10 incher, but for now all I can get is the planer.

I would hope to not have to spend more than $1000 and am considering the $600 Grizzly model but I wll spend the extra cash if necisary. I was considering the DeWalt 735, but read on amazon that the blades last an average of 100bf. I don't know how true that is but it doesn't sound good to me.

EDIT: By the way, I did a search before posting this thread. It was because of what I read that I decided to post.
    Last edited by Allen Grimes; 12-22-2004 at 7:52 PM.

You may not want to hear this, but if you're seriously looking at a 10" or wider jointer, I'd suggest a combo jointer/planer. That means waiting longer for anything, but you'll have heavier duty machinery and it won't take up as much space as a jointer and planer. The mass of the machine will lend itself to smoother cuts, too.

Just a thought.

Bob,

the only reason I haven't considered that option is because I haven't found a machine like that at an affordable price compared to buying the machines seperately. Do you know of a machine like that for around $2000? I have never seen one.

Allen

I have had 2 different portable planers and now have a 15" powermatic planer. I would highly recommend a large sationary planer if you are going to be using it that much. Mine seems to feed much better than the small planers I had and will take off more in a pass. Most of the 15" Tiawian planers have 2 feed speeds and on the slow speed I get as good a finish as on the smaller planers. For a joiner you might keep on the lookout for an older one. I just bought a 1920's 12" joiner for less than an 8" even though I had to replace the motor. I posted pictures of it if you search on my postings.
    Sparky Paessler

Allen, you might give a look at either of the Yorkcraft stationary planers. The 20" is a good value IMO. It has a 5 hp motor, 4 cutting blades, and built in mobility feature. I place it at the top of my wish list right behind the WoodMaster planer/sander combo.

Yorkcraft 20" planer
    Best Regards, Ken

Allen:
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Grimes
    I need a planer that can handle say 100 - 150 board feet a week. Any recommendations?
    Is this amount of dimensioned wood for yourself, your hobby, or for a client?

Will you be using this much every week for yourself or for a paid project?

The reason I am asking these questions is because if you are doing it for a fee, you need to get it done right. That means spend the extra money for the better machine(s).

No customer ( and I am assuming you have a customer) wants to hear excuses as to why the product does not meet their needs.

If this wood is for yourself, buy what you can afford now, and upgrade later.

Joe

Allen,

Sounds like you have a bunch of problems/opportunities.

First of all, a good wood source would help. Have you tried www.woodfinder.com? They list local wood suppliers. Also you might want to include your location in you profile and maybe some SMC members will be able to recommend some suppliers.

There are many posts on which to purchase first, planer or jointer. I personally recommend the planer first and that seems to be the approach your taking. This month’s Fine Woodworking has a article on "Flatten Boards Without a Jointer", "jointer sled for the planer", February 2005, page 58. I’ve used joiner sleds before, especially for wide walnut slabs, and this one looks pretty good; probably make one.

As for as planers, I really like my old 12" delta. Its old and noisy but quick and does a good job. And the blades are cheap and last a really long time. A couple of months ago, I picked up one of those Delta’s 22-580 from Lowe’s when they cut the price from $460 to $230. It’s a real nice unit with lots of features and the blades go for close to $30. I was really disappointed with the blades as they didn’t last long but the latest set keeps going and going, probably close to 5 hours on them.

I have one of those WoodMaster’s 18" 4 in 1 (planer, sander, molder and gang rip) which is variable speed (conveyor belt is variable generating from 70 to 1000 cpi). I’ve only used the planer part so far (have a 16/32 Performax to do the sanding) and only on tricky or wide wood. In any event, with a unit like that, you would get the planing and sanding functions and with the jointer sled, the jointing function (for the top and bottom of the boards). Of course, throw in the molding capability and you really have a nice machine (if you use a lot of molding and/or make it for resale). Price, not sure but you can search the internet for prices.

Regards, Joe

P.S. I’ve wiped out more posts than I like to remember. If it is more than a paragraph, I usually do it in WORD (WordPerfect) and then move it to SMC. It cuts down on the chances of screwing up and also allows me to use Spell Check.
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

Joseph,

I just checked the website and its on sale for $1300 for the 12.5" model and $1600 for the 18" model. Considering all it does I would say thats a great deal if its a good machine. Can you give me any more information on it? Like build quality, and any other impressions you got from it. I mean it's kinda hard for me to take that thing seriously based on the ads for it I've seen, but if a Creeker says it's good, then it is definately worth taking a look at.

Ken,
    I was considering the Yorkcraft 15", but Grizzly seems to have a better deal $800 shipped as opposed to $800+shipping.

Joe M.,
    I will be doing this professionally, and I definately want to make the right decision, why else would I post here?

Sparky,
    Used is something that I have not considered, mainly because I dont know where to look. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Allen Grimes; 12-23-2004 at 12:54 AM.

Well everybody, I decided on the Grizzly G0551 15" Planer. It seems like the only reasonable option for me right now. Hopefully that sled that Joseph mentioned will make up for the lack of a jointer at least for a little while. Thanks for all the help.

Allen

I happen to stumble onto mine over on WoodCentral and it was only 1 1/2 hours away. I couldn't pass that up. Just keep an eye on Ebay and the forums. There use to be a used industrial woodworking equipment dealer in the next town over (Elizabethton, TN) but I don't know if they are still there. You might want to check local and see if you have any.

Sparky
    Sparky Paessler

Hey thanks Sparky, I really think that used is the route Im gonna go for the jointer since they are soo unbelievably expensive. As for the planer, I just need something now, that wont break my bank. The machine I decided on looks like a good value, if not I can sell it for double+ what its worth and by a better one. Either way it'll bring me money.

Allen,

I just bought a 20" Shop Fox planer. Heavy, mean, and all business. 5hp motor, 4 knife cutterhead, and 97 cpi at 18 fpm.

The finish it leaves is as good as any lunchbox. This thing will laugh at 150 bdft after it surfaces it in less than 20 minutes.

I highly suggest a stationary induction powered planer if you are looking at 100+ bdft a week. I bought one after spending over 7 hours surfacing 150+ bdft of rough cherry with a Delta 12-1/2" benchtop planer.

If you can't go 20" I suggest the Jet or Grizzly motor in the cabinet planer. Remember, there will be a price increase on all Grizzly tools Jan 1. Most of the "preview" prices show $150 on tools above $1000 and about $75 on tools below.

Actually Terre, I decided on the Grizzly G0551, I was looking at the one you bought after reading your review at that other forum, but in the end It's a little too much since I have to buy a whole lot of other smaller things to go into my shop. Based on the specs, from the Grizzly site, I don't think there is another one out there that can match the G0551 at that price. I did look at Jet too which WAS my first choice until, I saw this new Grizzly machine. I also compared this one the the Yorkcraft 15" which is just aout the same in the specs only $125 more expensive. And shipping from that area is pretty steep. So all in all the only real choice I have right now is the Grizzly.