Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where have all the good tools gone??

Where have all the good tools gone??

This is one of those weeks when I've had a lot of time to get on the creek and do a lot of reading. I have to say, most of what i've noticed this week in the General forum are discussions about tools being good or bad. The consensus is that the tools manufactured today are inferior to those made years ago. That raises a question. Where have all the good tools gone? Are there any good tools available, or is it always a crap shoot when you buy a new tool whether you get a lemon or not? I still have some major tools to buy (eventually) for my garage shop. Are there any brands out there that can be counted on hands down? Is "reliable" a word of the past? As it stands, it appears a choice based on price and a roll of the dice are the best options at this point.

Without getting into a name brand war I think there are some manufacturers that provide consistently excellent results. With that said I think that people that have had an issue with something are far more likely to be vocal about their problems/concerns. Most of the tools I've purchased have been without major issues. It's never really crossed my mind to post about the fact that they have performed just as I expected them to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Take a look at some fine woodworking magazines from the '80s. The prices on hobby machines today is very, very low. Maybe cheaper than 20 years ago.

Is it possible for the quality to be great for giveaway prices?

1. There are some really good tools available, actually quit a lot of the Asian imports are good to excellent, there are a couple of categories I am finding that good ones are difficlut to find... cheap. The QC is somewhat of a roll of the dice and the name on the machine means little in and of itself, you have to buy the machine not the name and sometimes it is best if you can examine the exact machine you are buying

2. One has to keep in mind the prices we pay are FAR less than the inflation adjusted prices of the old iron and a lot of that is remembered through rose colored glasses

3. It all comes down to money, if you can afford it and are willing to afford it you can get extremely nice and exteremely well built new machines but for a full shop worth of machines the economic decision might be between a 3 series BMW and the tools

4. Sometimes what is seen as a large difference between brand pricing for similar machines is really only a marginal price difference in the big picture or full catagory of that particular tool, and we give too much leeway to the marginally lower priced tool and expect perfection in the higher priced tool when the reality is we are looking at Walmart vs Target and not Walmart vs Neiman Marcus.

Van,

I agree with everything you said.

Though I have an income well above the median income, as a hobbiest I could not justify paying Northfield or General (not General International)prices for woodworking tools.

No company would have my business if I had to pay those prices.

It's an unrealistic expectation to believe you can pay Walmart prices and get Neiman Marcus quality. If you could, why would anyone buy Neiman Marcus?

So.....for a much lower cost, you take a chance of having to hassle with a company and it's customer service.

If you don't think it is much cheaper go to Northfield's website and price their tools ....and that online price sheet is 3 years old. You have to call to get the current price.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-16-2010 at 8:02 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Van said it better than I could. I am in agreement with what he says. We have done this pretty much to ourselves. We all want higher wages and lower cost goods. You can't cut profit and pay the people who make the stuff more money, just doesn't work. The jobs go where folks work cheap and for a period of time, those that still have jobs get great prices on some stuff. Then the bubble pops.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Weiss View Post
    ...The consensus is that the tools manufactured today are inferior to those made years ago. That raises a question. Where have all the good tools gone? Are there any good tools available, or is it always a crap shoot when you buy a new tool whether you get a lemon or not?
    I cannot afford NEW machines. If I only had the option to buy NEW, I would leave woodworking for whittling with the one good Case XX pocket knife I own.

The good machinery is on CL! I can now buy a Rockwell 13" planer for $300 that cost $1500 twenty-five years ago. I bought a PnP Rockwell belt/disc sander for $185, instead of $1200. How about a $2000 Powermatic Model 26 shaper (needed spindle bearings) for $125? Those were HUGE sums in the '80s, and still are to me.

The "CL-Economy" is one I can actually exist in! Today I can buy machinery which needs varying degrees of TLC for pennies on the dollar when new. I enjoy fixing what needs fixing. It is a great trade-off IMO. I get huge discounts on quality machines at the expense of my committment to make them run as they should. It's only time; not much money.

IF I could buy new, Grizzly offers the most for the money IMO. Sharaz stands behind his machines as well or better than other brands. Rikon offers great Bang for the Buck too! But, Powermatic is wayy over-priced today. Mustard is not Gold. Delta continues to sink slowly into the East. Those cannot subsist on their name, and proud heritage, forever! And, how about all those new Rockwell power tools everywhere! (Chinese pronunciation: "Lock-Lell") ROR! Not the same Rockwell I knew! NoWay!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I love my Delta and Powermatic tools!

....they just happen to be 60 years old though...

I agree with what Van and Chip said, if you are willing to put the amount of time it takes to remove the cosmoline from a new tool, into a old tool, you can get your self some great quality tools at great prices!

Off to go look at a Delta/Rockwell Bandsaw for $275 off of CL!

All things considered CL, new hobbyist priced tools etc, I think it's a great time to be a woodworker.

My only fear with new and old machines is NEEDING A PART THAT IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE!

The good tools are at garage and estate sales. I go out every week, and have found some killer deals.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The good tools went away with the advent of the big box stores that compete on price point only.
    Take for example my long time favorite, Porter Cable. They were a manufacturer of professional grade tools, that were not marketed to homeowners, and came at a premium. I did not mind paying more for the quality as I make a living with my tools.

Then they were swallowed up by the B&D conglomerate who saw it as an opportunity to use the well established Porter Cable name to [temporarily] market and sell junk taking advantage of the good name. I am sure it worked welll for a while, but the Porter Cable name is no longer associated with superior quality, its just another brand basterdized by the big box mentality.

I just bought a Lion Trimmer from a gentleman on this forum. This is another example of how cheap imports, that may not be at all of the same quality run a good tool manufacturer out of business. They take enough off of the top of the market that the non third world manufacturer can no longer sell enough to stay in business as they have to meet modern safety standards, and pay their employees a living wage.

Myself I choose to buy from companys that pay their employees in a manner consistant with what I would consider a living wage, and supply a workplace that is safe and enviromentally responsible. There is nothing that I need bad enough that I feel I should support these companys that scrape the bottom of the barrel at a humanitarian level.

Larry

I'm not convinced that old tools are so much better than new ones. If they were, they would be selling at a premium, even if they needed some work.

I have no brand loyalty having Delta, Grizzly, Powermatic, Craftsman, Sawstop, Bosch, Steel City, Festool and probably a few others in the shop. The only problem I've had with any of them is shipping damage. Once replaced/repaired they all do what they are expected to do.

As mentioned above, Porter Cable is no longer a top notch brand. That's true. In that corporate line up, Delta and Dewalt are the top brands. That was done to gradually avoid exact duplication and be able to reach a wider customer base. Smart move.

I've noticed since I started reading woodworking forums around 5 years ago (I retired and have the time) that there are some folks who have a problem with almost every tool they buy. They will only be happy if someone comes to their house and holds their hands. I think that most people are pretty happy with the tools they buy, but don't post about it.

"Hey - I bought a saw, it cuts wood", isn't exciting reading.

Good tools and machinery haven't dissapeared, they're still available new from many suppliers.

You can buy General and Northfield as mentioned, I believe Pistorius is still made in New York State, there's Felder, MiniMax, Hammer, SCM etc.

What has disappeared is our understanding of what those machines cost to produce.

Engineering, manufacturing, quality control, field service, spare parts support all cost money, as does manufacturing an object where there are other costs such as environmental protection, labour standards, social services etc.

As others have mentioned, machines from the 1960's cost significant amounts of annual income to purchase, and people didn't often purchase that sort of machinery.

I remember seeing circular and jig saws powered by a drill so that you didn't have to buy more than one motor. Now we laugh at that as we buy a pair of left and right hand circular saws in a nice case for a few hours wage.

The nice machinery still exists, in fact it's nicer than ever, more capable, more versatile, more accurate and less expensive than ever in relation to our wages. It just happens to be made in Europe at present, where they've constantly been innovating, instead of producing another colour copy of a 1930 table saw.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. This is the golden age of hand tools, incredible quality tools that are far less expensive than good hand tools were in relation to our income, and many of them are Canadian and American made.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 10-16-2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Added Post Script

I agree with everyone, we have done it to our self.

I hate Walmart, but go to any any Walmart on a Saturday morning and find a parking place.

Everyone wants is now and they want it cheap, they can not wait for a shipper to ship the item to them, they want it get it today. That is why the big box stores do so good.

MOST consumers shop price first. Companies who want to survive need to sell what consumers want. High quality tools are available as others have said, just not at the price points most can afford. I won't buy the brands I used to. I started this hobby as a kid over 30 years ago and I started setting up my own shop 25 years ago. Most of my hand held power tools are old school Porter Cable. I paid $280 for a Porter Cable 536 commercial grade 1 2/3rd HP router in the late 80s. That would be over $500 today with inflation. Makes the $480 Festool router price rational. I paid like $200 for a Porter Cable circular saw 20 years or so ago. Very solid saw. That would be $400 or so now.

I now have a bunch of new Festool. Easily as good or better than the Porter Cable from 20 years ago. I also have a Milwaukee Reciprocating saw, great tool. I recently upgraded to a Felder sliding saw and it's in a whole different universe than the PM66 it replaced.