Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something to behold...

Something to behold...

Check this lady's carving out. She adds new meaning to the word "Awesome".

http://www.catharinekennedy.com/

Marv

Catchyalater,
    Marv

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."

~Maya Angelou~

Cast iron isn't the most choice to engrave upon,either!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    That is impressive.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

We have a great engraver in Williamsburg,a young woman named Lynn. She was trained by our now retired Master Engraver Herb. He was the best engraver I ever saw. Before him we had the former personal engraver to President Nixon. He used to always fly around with Nixon everywhere he went. They kept a stock of sterling silver hollow ware on the presidential plane,just in case Nixon decided on the spur of the moment to make a presentation to someone.

Lynn did a remarkably quick job of engraving the Queen's saffron pot from the original,which I made the little William and Mary chest for.

Especially for anyone. We find it odd and unusual to see a woman be as accomplished as Catherine is. From a different perspective though, it's kind of sad. It's sad to feel that it's odd. I find it inspiring.

Marv

Catchyalater,
    Marv

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."

~Maya Angelou~

If you saw the Beretta documentary on TV,they show women engravers working on their best grade BULLINI (sp?)engraved guns. Bullini is a very detailed style of engraving similar in difficulty to bank note engraving. They are holding a 10X small magnifier in 1 hand,and pushing a graver with the other!!! Cutting steel!!

The U.S. Mint also employs women engravers.

Women have steady hands. Don't underestimate them.
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-17-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post

Women have steady hands. Don't underestimate them.
    Often times, more patience and ability to resist improvising when it's not appropriate, too.

The Queen's saffron pot and its box

This saffron pot was engraved by our young woman engraver. I'm not sure if it shows up well enough in the photo,but she did a remarkable job. She had about 4 days to reproduce the intricate engraving on the original saffron pot. The pot is the size of a normal nectarine. Saffron was a very expensive tea made from saffron. Served in very small quantities among the very wealthy in the 18th.C. Note that his pot bears the ER monogram.

I made the chest in English walnut,which is a delightful wood to work with. Not as brittle as American black walnut.

The little black dowel seen in the back corner is a little innovation of mine. The dovetails were fitted so tightly,there was no room for glue,nor did I want the mess of getting it off the wood. This was an extremely rushed project. I put the box together,turned 2 black ebony pins,drilled down through the box vertically,and tapped in the ebony pins with a bit of glue. Those dovetails will never come apart,ever.

This is a William and Mary style chest. I routed the borders around the inside of the chest with a 1/8" deep little groove about 3/32" wide. The satin dark blue lining material was stuffed into the grooves,and a round,silver fabric bunting was carefully glued into it. This gave me a way to gracefully terminate the lining material. I'm not sure if I innovated that.

All the brass work except the high quality hinges are freehand turned from brass. I always had to make the little hooks. This one I fancied up with a little thumb piece to give an elegant touch.

The feet are bun feet. The handle on the lid is a copy of the handle on the pot.

The fire blued steel screws on the brass hinges were standard in the 18th.C.. They never used brass screws since their brass was cast,not rolled like we have today,and would have twisted off when trying to screw them in.

The round wooden fitting in the lid cradles the pot by its handle in satin. When the box is closed,there is no loose shake at all from the pot.

On the second photo,in the upper right hand corner of the box,you can just make out a little brass pin. There is 1 on each side for the front flap to rest against when the box is closed.

I could only wish that there was time to get these parts silver plated,but upper management,as usual,waited until beyond the last minute to make up their minds to order this. I think we got this done the day before the presentation,and barely got it photographed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-17-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Before him we had the former personal engraver to President Nixon. He used to always fly around with Nixon everywhere he went. They kept a stock of sterling silver hollow ware on the presidential plane,just in case Nixon decided on the spur of the moment to make a presentation to someone.

Now that's a story I'd never heard before.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv Werner View Post
    Especially for anyone. We find it odd and unusual to see a woman be as accomplished as Catherine is. From a different perspective though, it's kind of sad. It's sad to feel that it's odd. I find it inspiring.

Marv
    Depends which discipline. Many of the finest turners are women. My wife took right to it and can turn beautiful bowls in her sleep. Everything I make comes out looking like a cone. If you want a wooden dunce cap, I'm your man.

What's even more interesting about this is the price she charges - $250-$350 for the scroll, acanthus and cartouche work on both sides of a #2 or a #3. That's a very small amount of money for the quality and complexity of the work that she does - a talented gun engraver will charge in the thousands for a complete engraving job on both sides of the receiver, trigger guard and a 2-3" portion of the butt end of the barrel on a shotgun. That's on the high end, but the photos she shows suggests that she's every bit as capable.

George - You may find this interesting, but the pinned dovetail idea isn't a new one (though perhaps in cabinetmaking) - many of the 18th century timber buildings I've seen have dovetailed and pinned corners throughout the wall (though the pin's aren't visible unless you take off the sill in the attic.) Roy Underhill describes this method in one of his Woodwright's books.

That's good to know,David. Not sure WHY it's good to know,but it is STILL good to know!! Well,blast it! Another FAILED INVENTION. Actually,I recall that I already knew that anyway.

I'm not going to build any log houses,or any heavy timber stuff!

My old workmate,Jon,has a house made in Tennessee back in the 70's as I recall. The kit was assembled on his land here. It is all hand hewn square logs,about 12" square. I have wondered how many small animals make their nests in it!! It is still in decent looking shape,though. He puts on preservative rather than paint,of course. It is made of soft pine,though,I think.

I've wondered how they managed to keep finding strong young backs with weak minds to hew those logs!! I guess it's about 30'x40',1 1/2 stories. Young guys with romantic ideas about old ways can be hired to work cheap on such things,I suppose. Actually,I KNOW,because they do it all the time in Williamsburg.

I never really liked the Nixon engraver,he was very skillful,but he did something that left me cold: When engravers make "thicks and thins" in their script engraving,they usually lay the graver over on its side,cutting the "thick" areas like that. This engraver thought that was a cheap way of doing it. He'd engrave several lines close together to swell out the "thicks" in his script. It was very skillfully done,but not 3 dimensional at all. He was the only one I ever met that did that way,though some MACHINE fonts will make thicks and thins that way,only because the machine's stylus cannot cut deep and shallow,though.
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-17-2010 at 4:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Keller NC View Post
    What's even more interesting about this is the price she charges - $250-$350 for the scroll, acanthus and cartouche work on both sides of a #2 or a #3. That's a very small amount of money for the quality and complexity of the work that she does - a talented gun engraver will charge in the thousands for a complete engraving job on both sides of the receiver, trigger guard and a 2-3" portion of the butt end of the barrel on a shotgun. That's on the high end, but the photos she shows suggests that she's every bit as capable.
    Wow, that is pretty cheap considering.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    ...Everything I make comes out looking like a cone. If you want a wooden dunce cap, I'm your man.
    Hey sign me up. Need a couple holes for a chin-strap. I will wear it in the shop, appropriate to my woodworking skills.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Depends which discipline. Many of the finest turners are women. My wife took right to it and can turn beautiful bowls in her sleep. Everything I make comes out looking like a cone. If you want a wooden dunce cap, I'm your man.
    Yeah, that's why my wife is the carver in our family. She doesn't turn though. Doesn't do anything with powertools. She loves my planes.

Makes me wonder what would happen if I ever make a treadle lathe.
    Where did I put that tape measure...