Thread: Easier on The Hands Turning Tool

Easier on The Hands Turning Tool

I have an old Craftsman lathe..I would like to have a nice big $ one but dont see it in the future. Anyhow I turn 25" to 30" spindles which are 2 pieces of 1 1/2" by 3/4" pieces that have a channel routed in both pieces and then they are glued together..This channel (depending on which size core box router bit I use ) ends up being 3/4" , 7/8", or 1" is actually the bore on flutes...I then use a mandrel that runs the length of the flute from headstock to tailstock. I use a homemade lathe steady and my bench is weighted down for stability. This setup works real good for me on an old lathe and I (since getting to this point) have zero run out...... Before I "turn" these pieces I knock the corners off with a 45 deg bit in the router...I probably could stop this step..

My question is , I am 54 and have some hand issues .....some arthritis, have had carpal tunnel surgery and trigger thumb surgery on left hand and the right hand will have to be done soon...Ive done a lot of hand work, industrial and mechanical and repetitious stuff over the yrs.

I start out using a 3/4' roughing and then a 3/4" oval skew which works real good once you get the hang of it..It took a bit to get it on the skew though...Is there a tool that would be any easier to use on spindles especially in the roughing process? I know a better lathe would be great but I have to be satisfied with what I have for now...Im looking to buy just one more turning tool for now...I turn maybe an hr a day on average !! Thanks Everybody !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Mike Turner; 10-17-2010 at 8:16 AM.

Mike.... i have similar hand problems along with other 70 yr things going on. cant see cant pee, cant chew cant, well you get the picture. i really like the arm brace tools for long stretches of turning. I tend to go with the smaller less agressive tools. it just takes longer but they are less "torqey" thats a woodturners technical term for hard to hang on too. another thing that helps is those cloth gloves dipped in rubber. some are called "sure grip" i believe. another thing i've done is drilled a cross hole in the lathe tool handle and put a long 3/16 bolt through it to compensate for the torque.
    remember where there is a will there is a way have fun

Hi Mike,

If you're near a woodcraft, you may want to consider trying an easywoodtools carbide tool. as you hold the tool flat on the rest and let the rest absorb most of the impacts - it may help you outl. It will not provide a finish cut on spindle work, but for the roughing step in particular - it'll be quite a bit faster than your router and likely less impactful than your roughing gouge.

G'luck
    michael

I'll offer a couple of suggestions...

1. Larger diameter, padded handles on your turning tools will alleviate some of the stress of turning.
    2. If the majority of your arthritis is at the base of your thumb, changing to a 'false grip' will take some stress off of that joint. There are also off-the-shelf and custom braces designed for immobilizing the joint at the base of the thumb. The majority of the stress on that joint is related to pinch type grip which puts a lot of pressure on the joint.
    3. Lighter cuts, faster speeds, and sharper tools will help alleviate some of the shock/stress that your hands see.
    4. If applicable, get your carpal tunnel treated... The median nerve is the one affected by carpal tunnel syndrome, and it's the nerve responsible for 'powering' the muscles at the base of the thumb. Most people lose grip strength due to carpal tunnel, and weak muscles are easily fatigued and sore. Grip strength can be regained after surgery, and that often helps people with performing physical hand activities.

Just my .02

Carpal Thumb Surgeries

Thanks David,
    The carpal tunnel surgery has been done on both hands ...I had emailed you about the trigger thumb surgery earlier this yr and it went great. I have the right thumb scheduled for Dec 13 which was the original thumb giving problems but a shot helped it....But it flared back up.So im looking forward to getting it fixed too...
    Thanks For All Your Help,
    Mike

6. Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    I'll offer a couple of suggestions...

1. Larger diameter, padded handles on your turning tools will alleviate some of the stress of turning.
    2. If the majority of your arthritis is at the base of your thumb, changing to a 'false grip' will take some stress off of that joint. There are also off-the-shelf and custom braces designed for immobilizing the joint at the base of the thumb. The majority of the stress on that joint is related to pinch type grip which puts a lot of pressure on the joint.
    3. Lighter cuts, faster speeds, and sharper tools will help alleviate some of the shock/stress that your hands see.
    4. If applicable, get your carpal tunnel treated... The median nerve is the one affected by carpal tunnel syndrome, and it's the nerve responsible for 'powering' the muscles at the base of the thumb. Most people lose grip strength due to carpal tunnel, and weak muscles are easily fatigued and sore. Grip strength can be regained after surgery, and that often helps people with performing physical hand activities.

Just my .02

Dr. Keller,

I just wanted to say thank you for your post here. I think it is a really nice thing for an Orthopedic surgeon, such as yourself to help a fellow wood turner with issues such as these!

It shows that you are a class act!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Mike you might consider watching the videos by Wilford on the Kelton handles
    http://www.kelton.co.nz/index_store.html

Seems like they have helped him with his hand issues.

I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by roger chandler View Post
    dr. Keller,

i just wanted to say thank you for your post here. I think it is a really nice thing for an orthopedic surgeon, such as yourself to help a fellow wood turner with issues such as these!

It shows that you are a class act!

+ 1000
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Mike,
    Several good ideas already. I have problems with my thumb joints. Started using a pair of fingerless, padded gloves from a bike store. I've found that the pads help absorb so of the shock and with no fingers in the gloves I'm not in danger of getting a glove caught on something that's spinning. Gloves that weight lifters use might also work, but I've never tried those. Good luck.

Mike, I suggest trying a really big skew. I recently picked one up and roughed a bunch of blanks into cylinders. As David said, also turn up the speed. I was amazed at how quickly and easily I turned those spindles with higher RPMs and the big 1.25" skew. The mass makes it easy on you and you just glide it across the rest without having to "pinch" the tool or even grip it that much.

I suggest not using an oval skew. I started with one but much prefer one simply with rolled edges.