Thread: Red Cedar--as a cutting board?

Red Cedar--as a cutting board?

I've always used aromatic eastern red cedar for making small boxes and cedar chests. A while back I was at a craft show where a woman was selling end grain cutting boards made out of the stuff as well as various spatulas and other utensils. She said her husband made them for her to sell with all her pastry supplies and claimed red cedar was great for dough and other aspects of the pastry business. Unfortunately, her husband was not at the show so I could not ask him various questions about the use of red ceder.

So...

I will ask all of you!

What are your opinions/knowledge on using red cedar for any kind of food contact use? Cutting boards? Kitchen utensils? Etc?
    Wood is very beautiful in tree form. Wood is very useful in burning form. I merely try to make my work honor the first, avoid the latter, and aim for the middle: beautiful and useful.

It's not going to poison anyone but it won't hold up very well, either...it's too soft.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Yes cedar is way too soft. I know it is poison to bugs so I personaly would not want to eat it.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    It's not going to poison anyone but it won't hold up very well, either...it's too soft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim FInn View Post
    Yes cedar is way too soft. I know it is poison to bugs so I personaly would not want to eat it.

Yeah...the soft part would most definitely be a problem...but I, too, was wondering more about the poison part of it...all the oils, etc.
    Wood is very beautiful in tree form. Wood is very useful in burning form. I merely try to make my work honor the first, avoid the latter, and aim for the middle: beautiful and useful.

if cedar are poison for bugs--WILL it also kill bacteria from
    the meat and vegetables

I know that a cedar board is good to cook possum on. You spice up the meat with garlic, pepper,salt and onions and bake it on the board for about 2 hours at 275 then toss out the possum and eat the cedar.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    I know that a cedar board is good to cook possum on. You spice up the meat with garlic, pepper,salt and onions and bake it on the board for about 2 hours at 275 then toss out the possum and eat the cedar.

The oils in Aromatic Cedar will sometimes kill the "emerging" larvae of the Wool Moth. Once the larvae are fully hatched, it has little effect on them and no effect on adult moths or any other bugs.

I cut down a large, standing, dead Cedar tree a couple of years ago. It died because Carpenter Ants had eaten away the heartwood and inhabited it. The oils didn't bother them a bit.

Some people are sensitive to Aromatic Cedar dust but I don't think solid Cedar, even in contact with food is going to hurt anyone.

However, if you think it is dangerous, don't use it for food contact. It's a poor wood choice for that application, anyway.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    However, if you think it is dangerous, don't use it for food contact. It's a poor wood choice for that application, anyway.
    I tend to agree...hence the questions here....I found it odd that the lady at the show had them for pastry use. I thought maybe I was missing something that the rest of the woodworkers knew.

Cedar Planked Salmon is a common dish out here in the PacNW so no problems with Western Red Cedar.

I wouldn't want to eat anything that had been in contact with aromatic cedar personally...

people cook bread and pizzas on wooden board in a big oven
    but I forgot what type of wood that they used

Thanks for all the replies....looks like I wasn't crazy when I took a second look at the cutting boards. For a second I thought I had missed out on a great use for red cedar.