Thread: Walnut Hat Style Bowl

Walnut Hat Style Bowl

This was my Sunday morning turning. It's perplexing how the bowl changed in the photos. The forms curve leading into the lip is not the graceful arc that was envisioned on the lathe. It looks like I made a sampan style hat.

Thanks for looking and comments always welcomed.

Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 10-18-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: removed negative description

Beautiful wood and the form would look great if you turn an inch or so of the bottom and go for a shallow bowl design. From the pictures it looks like you have the thickness in the bottom to remove a bit of the bottom of the bowl.
    Happy Turning,
    Jack

Beautiful bowl. I would think you would want to leave the bottom thick with that small diameter bottom to make it less tippy.

Love the wood, and I really like the nice curve you've got on the inside. The ogee though seems... I don't know small? Unbalanced? After having looked at it about a dozen times now I'd probably mirror the inside curve on the outside and remove the ogee. Is that one of the pieces I shot you? Regardless, LOVE the interior figure and the color!

Mike

Beautiful wood. The concave portion of the ogee seems a bit abrupt to me. People always say that a continuous curve is the hardest thing to accomplish in wood turning, but I think the ogee shape is more difficult as it is two balanced curves in opposite directions. I suck at the ogee!

Pretty wood! I agree with Jack's assessment of removing an inch or two of the foot area. In addition to shortening the foot, an option would be to use a small cove to create a pedestal.

Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Whatever you do - save that wood!! Looks like some I got from Mike, as well - nice stuff.

Personally, I would remove the bottom portion and leave a very petite foot - 1/4" or so - under a fair curve bowl matching the inside.

Beautiful wood and color. I am always amazed at the subtle(and sometimes not so subtle) change in curve when things are taken off the lathe or out of the chuck.

I should have left it alone, but went back to the lathe to tweak the foot and made that one last cut. All these learning moments would be beneficial if my memory wasn't so bad that I have to re-remember not to do stupid stuff. I've got 'groundhog'* syndrome.

*(From the movie Groundhog Day-reliving the same day/experiences over and over)

Quote Originally Posted by William Hutchinson View Post
    I've got 'groundhog'* syndrome.

*(From the movie Groundhog Day-reliving the same day/experiences over and over)
    I KNEW there was a name for this problem!! It keeps cropping up - must have something to do with getting up every morning?!?!?