Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safest way to dispose of oil soaked papertowels/rags?

I have a barrell outside the shop with water in the last 1/4. I just throw them in it and later dip them out when I take the trash out.
    Charlie Jones

When we moved our driveway out front, we ended up with some extra 18"dia. x 48" concrete cluvert pipes.

I cut one down to 24" long and sat it up vertically in a gravel base out side the shop. Picked up a 18" round paver stone from the Borg to cap the top.

I just throw everything in it and use it as a 2" thick concrete "safety" can. Every few weeks I will empty it out.

If it were to catch fire, it can't hurt anything.

Rob

I have a sink and running water in my shop. I wash out the oil-soaked rags with Dawn dishwashing detergent and hang them up to dry. The next day, I toss them in the trash.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

filters and rags soak in oil or paint thinner will ignite even when they are soaking in a water fill tank ,you need to keep them under the water

I toss mine outside in the yard. Same theory, if it did combust, it would burn a hole in the grass and that's it.

I did almost have a linseed oil rag combust. I don't use linseed oil anymore. It happens very fast. Pretty scary.