Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bigger real bird houses

Bigger real bird houses

Good morning wood spinners!

Here are 3 bird houses that I just finished for a client of mine, he wanted one birdhouse and sent me the dimensions he would like. But since one never knows what color, combo, or grain will be what the buyer likes I made 3 of them. They all have red oak tops with walnut stems and the tops have been textured and stained with "Fruitwood" stain to darken the caps closer to a real acorn. The lightest body is red maple with some spalting that followed the grain some figure and a few worm holes for character. On one end is a Red Oak body and the other is Black Cherry with some knots and such. I started these 3 weeks ago from wet logs then rough turned them leaving plenty of wood in the base for the chuck to hold the tenon. This also gave me a foot to stand them up while I used my newly tried drying technique. What I did was take some "Kitty Litter" and put it inside the hollowed out portions and left them sit for a few days. After a few days the kitty litter is removed and place in the sun to dry out again and then put back in for a few more days. After that I left them sit around the shop until I was ready to return them and get them finished. After I was finished turning them the average moisture was about 10% so I think the method worked well for this application. I also just use floor dry from the automotive parts store or where ever it is sold. It can be reused many times, I have even put it in my old smoker (Without wood for smoke) just the electric element to dry it out and warm it up. To hot and it can dry the wood to fast so that is still being perfected. I do not seal anything except the end grain on the top rim and a little at the base where the extra wood is left for the tenon. The are all finished with 3 coats of Spar Varnish and should stand up to the weather pretty well. They are about 8" tall and 6" in diameter. There are 2 more pics in next post.

Time will tell and thanks for looking,

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Lat pictures of bird houses

Here are the tops and how they are removable for cleaning out the inside after nesting has occurred!

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Jeff, those are really neat!! And, an interesting construction technique for the top. Is that JB Weld holding the spanner rods in place?

The textured tops on these, with the added stain, really enhances the acorn look - nice job!

Jeff those are great. Those would probably be really good sellers at craft shows!

Jeff - those are pretty cool! Your customer is going to be thrilled - and he/she gets to pick the flavor they want! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That is beyond cool. I love it. I see my pine tree with a bunch of those hanging in it. Sure will look better than the gourds...

Nice work. Definitely on the "TO DO Soon" list.

That's awesome Jeff! I love how you solved the removable top problem too! As John mentioned, I'd wager those would sell real well at craft shows - even at a high price point. There isn't anything like that available anywhere - which gets the eye of the well-to-do consumer.

Great work!
    mike

awesome Job Jeff!!! those really look great.

on the few that I've made, I've attached the top in the following manner:

screw in 2 small eye hooks on the inside rim of the bottom half 180 degrees apart. then i connect the 2 eye hooks with a length of bailing wire. then i take another length of bailing wire and loop it around the other bailing wire. I drill a small hole through the top of the house, just big enough to feed the bailing wire through. i loop the tag end of the wire around an S-hook. not sure if that makes any sense but it's been solid on the house i made for my back yard for about a year now, and i think it will last a long time. if anyone wants a picture next time i take the house down i can take one and post it.

Jeff what size hole did you drill for the opening? I drilled a 1" hole in mine but didn't have any nesting birds this year, I think i'm going to enlarge it a bit, not sure how big i should go.

Note to self...

"Borrow" Jeff's houses and build one, or two... I have lots of dove, sparrows a few robins and my problem is they all hang out in the very large ch. elms in the backyard and poop all over everything...they scarcely need encouragement!
    But I have a neighbor that would love one of those.
    Excellent work, and as usual, very creative. Could we get some dimensions?
    Thanks,
    Michael

Patrick, do a google search on birds, a 1 inch hole is to big for alot of birds! I went through this when i set up my area to photograph birds. First year 80 % of my houses did not get used...changed the hole sizes and they were all full this year

http://www.wild-bird-watching.com/Bu...rd_Houses.html

I love the birdhouses, and I am working on something similiar but with a twist. I need natural looking "houses" so that I can photograph the birds in a natural setting. Ive been gathering hollow logs and working on them, I just need to turn the tops and install the flooring to the right specs.

Those are pretty cool Jeff. Construction looks really stout. Nicely done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

a 1 inch hole is to big for alot of birds
    hmmm checked the link and thanks for putting that in your post btw

didn't see any hole sizes under 1" did i miss something?

Very nice Jeff. Paul have you got this registered in your mind? Maybe we can get together this winter and make a few of these.

Ray, you know my mind, I down loaded the pictures. Coarse I will forget where I saved them.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Alexander View Post
    hmmm checked the link and thanks for putting that in your post btw

didn't see any hole sizes under 1" did i miss something?

Sorry I misworded what I meant. 1 inch will be to small for alot of birds! I had all mine at 7/8 and 1 inch....many of my birds needed 1.5 inches. I just didnt want anyone to make the same mistake I did