Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloat! - The Moak 12" jointer has landed. well almost...

Talking Gloat! - The Moak 12" jointer has landed. well almost...

Hey everyone!

After roughly 1-1/2 years of searching I finally nabbed a deal on a piece of old iron!
    I've found several through various craigslist adds and irs auctions but nothing i've bought the bullet on.
    Last week a fellow employee told me about a local auction that was going on the next day with a bunch of woodworking equipment. On lunch break i looked up the listing and low and behold there was a 12" moak jointer that looked to be in good condition.. and it was only 20 mins away!
    So the following day I drove down and attended the auction. If it wouldn't have been for online bidding also I would have had it for $150! I also would have taken home a 3hp powermatic cabinet saw and a old iron mortiser... oh well maby next time. But i did have the highest bid on my jointer. a little more than what I was hopeing to bid but still a good deal.
    Paid $560 with buyers fees. Just went down and picked it up today. Still sitting on the trailer cause the engine hoist I borrowed didn't have enough hydrolic oil to lift it.
    Its in really good shape. really just needs a good cleaning. But i may strip the paint and semi restore it. all the parts are there, the fence is sitting in the trailer. the only thing its missing is the front guard over the cutter.

So now I have to find a rotary phase converter or a static one and build my own for a 3hp+

Needless to say I'm a happy camper!
    Attached Images Attached Images

YOU SUCK! That is something that is on my "search" list.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Congrats Brett! Is it 3 phase?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

cool

If you are serious about restoring it which I love to do,leave it on the trailer and take it to someone to sandblast it.

yes 3hp 3phase direct drive.
    I've thought about pulling the motor and replaceing it with a pully and a 1 phase motor. but i think i would rather buy/build a phase converter.

Beautiful.

When you THINK about allll the board-feet of wood that must have gone through that thing.......

You DO suck ... and you KNOW you suck. I've also seen your router table -- more evidence that you suck !

Quick ?? for our in-house experts.

If you WANTED to, could you have this sort of machine powdercoated ????

Might be very cool. Of course, moving it around more than you need to ... may not be the smartest thing, but ....

I'd sure watch, if you felt like keeping a photo essay OR your restoration efforts. I'd like the learning, AND the entertainment !

Jointer

Nice grab, Not only is it a great jointer but also a piece of history. I would go the rotary phase converter. It opens up a whole new world when it comes to tools. I have 2 in my shop from American Rotary
    http://www.americanrotary.com/rotary...onverters.html

Excellent after sales service 24/7. No connection just a happy customer

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brett gallmeyer View Post
    yes 3hp 3phase direct drive.
    I've thought about pulling the motor and replaceing it with a pully and a 1 phase motor. but i think i would rather buy/build a phase converter.
    WTG Brett! Moak is some solid Old Arn! I have two of their shapers.

Don't EVEN consider pulling that direct drive motor to try and install a pulley. It is no easy fix! Keep the old jointer intact. It will have much more resale value in the future. And, you will have preserved some real Americana.

I am a die-hard fan of RPCs for powering 3-phase machinery. Buy once-cry once, as long as the RPC will handle your largest 3ph motor. I assume the Moak has a 3hp motor. A 5hp RPC will handle that plus any other machine up to 5hp in your future. One 3ph machine leads to another...and another... I have...umm...EIGHT now, and counting! I also have a 5hp ARCO Model A RPC for sale, should you be interested, made in your great State of Indiana at Shelbyville.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Nice big ship! Congrats. Ditto on the Gentec American Rotary for power source. I have one in my shop, works great.

Are there any disadvantages going to a 10 hp RPC other than an additional $250.00? I assume that a 10 hp would cover anything I would ever want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Vogel View Post
    Are there any disadvantages going to a 10 hp RPC other than an additional $250.00? I assume that a 10 hp would cover anything I would ever want to do.
    Leo, the only considerations are, IF your load center will handle the increased amps, increased wire size and increased electrical consumption. Some larger RPC's specify a minimum hp motor they will run. Depending on the make of RPC, some "10hp" units are only good for powering up to a 7.5hp motor. Some hard-starting motors (air compressors, belt sanders) require larger rated RPCs. Do the math and convert your largest 3-phase motor amps to Kw, to see if the unit's published output will handle it. Here's a handy online converter:

http://www.tvss.net/train/tools/08.htm
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Nice score, that is a great looking jointer. Is it missing the fence? I recently brought home a 16" crescent that is also DMD. I agree DO NOT strip that motor and convert to belt. Rotary phase converters can be had for cheap. I got a kit from WNY and built one myself. Actually it is the control panel and all I had to do was hook up an idler motor and bam, I've got three phase, enough to start 7.5 HP and run at least 15 HP moderately loaded. It's great because my largest motor so far is 5 HP. As for sizing, I wouldn't go too overboard (i.e. 25HP converter for a 3 HP saw) but I doubt you could go wrong with a 10-15 horse motor. If you are building your own, talk to your local HVAC guys or head to a local scrapyard for an idler. Factories are another good source. I talked to the HVAC guy who was really bummed I hadn't called a week earlier as they had just hauled an entire truckload of motors to the scrap yard. 3 phase motors are hard to kill and are quickly discarded in the industrial sphere. Nice score and good luck.

Ryan

I would call the people at American rotary, they were extremely helpful when I bought my phase converter from them and talked me through what I needed to buy.
    Tom

If you can get a larger 3 phase motor, you could get a static phase converter to start the larger three phase motor to use as an idler to run the machine

http://www.phase-a-matic.com/PDF/SPL-2010-C.pdf

see method 2

here is a cheaper static phase converter
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Stat...to-10-HP/H3473

Basically, you just need to get the 3 phase idler motor to start, then this is used to generate the third leg. Unless you are going to buy more three phase equipment, the vfd is the most cost effective way to go. That said, I put together a 15 hp rotary converter for my saw for around 300 dollars, using scrounged motor, grainger start capacitors, etc. Practical machinist site has all the information you would need.