Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Mission Dresser

Cherry Mission Dresser

well folks as promised here is my third project, a mission dresser I built for my new 6 week old son It is now finally complete only a few weeks late and is intended to match the crib I made early in the summer. I made it from rough air dried cherry and finished it with a maloof inspired finish that I put together and modified for a little more toughness. As always any thoughts or comments are welcome as this hobby of ours is always a work in progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A true man does not only stand up for himself, he stands up for those that do not have the ability to".
    William Lyon MacKenzie King

VERY NICE! Like the finish, I'm in the process of a cherry island, hope it turns out as well as that dresser

Thumbs up Nice.

Nice work, Bill. It'll look even better in a year or two as the cherry darkens with age and the colors even out.

Gorgeous work! Love it!

I really like that, great job!!!

Wow it looks great. Congrats on the new born. Just think, about 30 years from now you'll be digging that furniture out of the attic for Rowan's new born.
    "The key to patience is doing something else."

I must not be a good parent

I wouldn't let my kid have such a beautiful piece of furniture. I would put that in my bedroom and you might consider putting it somewhere else a little later during the "destruction period" of a child's lifetime. For boys that can vary and have a wide range of ages.

Blog Entries
    Bill,

That's a beautiful piece of furniture.

Mission style furniture is one of my favorites.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

+1. Even the toughest finish is no match for a curious child with an active imagination.
    But then again, cherry is a tough wood and some of those future marks will become character over time.

Bill, that is a beautiful piece!!!

Got to love the mission style...
    Great job Bill.

super nice job. is that your design? I am looking for somthing similar to build for my daughter.

Be-au-ti-ful

Write down the story of this piece -- your thoughts, the meaning, the story of the build. Maybe shellac it, on paper, to the underside of a drawer, or something.

Because ... this one's going to be in the family for a long while !

Really nice.

Nice Piece

That is very nicely done. It looks to be your interpretation of "Mission" which I actually like much better than true mission. Your's seems to have a gentler line that the stark squareness of Mission. I really like what you did with it.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Smile

Beautiful work!!

Blog Entries
    Very elegant. Nice looking dresser, it will only get better with time. Be sure not to leave anything in one location on that top for a year or so until the light from that window gets a chance to darken the cherry. Otherwise any fixed object may leave a permanent shadow behind.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute