Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame and Panel approach

Frame and Panel approach

I want to make some frame and panel cabinet doors. What methods/tools do you suggest? As always, I am hoping for it to be cheap and easy ... but I don't want to skimp and have doors that will fall apart.

Thanks.
    Ray

what do you have avavible? router (or shaper), router table, router bit set for your choice of door and panel at a min..

what I have

I have routers and a router table. I have considered using dowels (I have a Dowelmax).

I am willing to buy a set of router bits if I am convinced I will be happy with them in the long term and would want to use them on future frame and panel and raised panel projects.

I have a set of router bits for raised panel door along with the rail and stile bits and they are great. I forget which ones I have but I got them from Rockler or Woodcraft. They weren't that expensive and the doors turned out great. I have used them on multiple projects so I have gotten my money worth. I have done both raised panel doors as well as more simple flat panel doors using just a rail and stile kit. The doors have held together very nicely and I have a 5 year old who is always gentle on doors. Hope that helps.

David

Hey, a local Denver guy!

Ray,
    There are a million ways to go on this. Materials, size, style, your available tools, etc. will all impact the advice.

Cheap and easy = cope and stick
    Cheap and really nice = M&T

Other items to think about are:
    Flat or raised panels?
    Beaded frames?
    Overlay or inset door?
    Face frame or euro?
    Glass front?

I like M&T doors with a raised panel. They can be done with a router, a TS, or a shaper. I have all three and my choice depends on the size, style, mood, and how many I’m going to make.

Blog Entries
    Lap joints make excellent frame and panel doors. You can easily cut them with just a table saw. The joints should last a life time if they are smooth and glued properly.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

cope and stick

Phillip,
    I am actually in Parker ... near Ponderosa High School.

All,
    I have been considering getting a cope and stick set, but I am afraid that that is not strong enough, and would want suggestions on the best set.

Ray

8. Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    I want to make some frame and panel cabinet doors. What methods/tools do you suggest? As always, I am hoping for it to be cheap and easy ... but I don't want to skimp and have doors that will fall apart.

Thanks.
    Ray
    If your router is powerful enough, and you have a router table, then using the router works wonderfully. And you can get quite a few different profiles for the frames and for the panels.

Your tablesaw can be used for rails and stiles that have no profile, and for raised panels that have no curves in the profile.

And if you aspire to neanderthalism, buy all of the right handplanes.

Dave

Ray,

I live on Saddle Rock golf course, hole #6 (Arapahoe and E-470). I have a router set I got from Woodcraft years ago. I only used them once and they ran me about 75 to 100 bucks. I'd be willing to sell them to you on the cheap (if I can find them).

I actually use my shaper when I'm doing cope and stick construction. I have three or four sets of Amana shaper cutters, each provide a different profile. Cope and stick is commonly used for cabinet doors and they provide a lot of glue surface and they are pretty darn strong and easy to do. You need a router table, a router, the bits, and a sled to clamp in the coping cut.

For raised panels on a router table, I would take a serious look at the vertical panel bits. It just looks like a safer operation. Oh, and if your router is not a variable speed, the vertical bits may be your only option. I have three horizontal bits, for my shaper, and each of them are around 5" to 6” in diameter. I do not have a power-feeder... so I take a few extra precautions when using them.

I also try to prefinish the panel before I glue everything together. It will prevent you from locking the panel in place.

If I were to buy a set for the router, I would look at some of the CMT bits.

Let's make a deal

Phillip,

I may be interested in the bits that you are talking about. I have a powerful, adjustable speed router, so they should work for me. I would me interested in more detail about them, if you can find them.

Thanks.
    Ray

Ray,

Why are you worried that cope & stick wouldn't be strong enough?

Easiest way is flat panels, edge routed - with corresponding groove cut in rails/stiles. Fast and strong. And can be cut with one straight bit on router table.

cope and stick

I think that I have seen articles that talk about tenon- modified cope and stick for extra strength. That led me to believe that the cope and stick alone may not be strong enough.

I'll see if I can find them and take some pictures. I'll PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schafer View Post
    Phillip,

I may be interested in the bits that you are talking about. I have a powerful, adjustable speed router, so they should work for me. I would me interested in more detail about them, if you can find them.

Thanks.
    Ray

Ray, how big are your doors going to be?

Door size

I guess typical cabinet doors -- except some will be 42 in in height.