Thread: adjusting a fence on a craftsman tablesaw

adjusting a fence on a craftsman tablesaw

ok guys i got a problem with this fence and would really like to know how to fix it ...
    And no i cant go out and buy a new fancy aftermarket fence for this so i have to figure this one out.
    The fence on this saw has a lot of play in it when its not tightened down and its really the pits when your trying to set it for a cut...once its set it stays right on and never moves ..the slop is when u have the lock cam up and moving the fence to set for a cut.
    I tried taking it out by adjusting the threw rod on the fence and it did make it less sloppy but then couldnt tighten the fence down.
    Is there something im not seeing here or is there any hope?

thanks for any response and help
    Bob
    btw this fence has the cam lock not the type u tighten by turning the handle

Craftsman has had a number of fences over the years. It might help to post a picture so folks know which one you are talking about. Not all fences work the same.

Craftsman had (at least) two totally different fences which meet your description (cam lever w/ through-bolt tension adjustment). What type of rails do you have - angle iron or tubular aluminum?

My 17 year old saw had the angle iron rail fence which exhibited the issues you're describing. I replaced it after about 5 years with the aluminum tube version (found on deep discount at a closing Sears Hardware store) which was much better (but no Biesemeyer). It, too, started having adjustment problems due to wear of the plastic glides on the fence. The glides were readily available online from Sears and took care of the issue.

If you have the old angle iron rail type, don't know of much you can do. I'd recommend seriously considering upgrading but considering a good fence is about 1/3 the cost of a good entry level saw (can someone explain that ) you may have to bite the bullet.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

thanks for the response guys
    yes its the camlock type with the angle iron rail
    guess ill have to do some checking around and see what i can come up with ...there are times when i think i can do better with a straight 2x4 and clamps!...lol thats how frustrating this thing is ...
    thanks again for the info
    Bob

Blog Entries
    I've had a couple fences like that. I never could get them to work what I would call reliably. I just did a work-around where I would position the fence, toggle the lever part way to make it snug and measure from it to the front and rear of the blade whilst tapping it back and forth to get it right and then lock the handle carefully.

Got an Align-a-rip; it was cool but they stopped making them. Then I got a saw with a Bies.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Under the fence---

Hi,
    Don't know about the cam lock Craftsman but the one with a handle that you turn to tighten has a little 90 degree spring thing under the fence at the head end with a small plastic piece held on by two screws that you can adjust to fit snugly against the inside of the front angle iron. If you get it just right, clean the back side and front edge of the angle, wax it with a thin coat of paste wax, make sure the roller on the outer end is where it is supposed to be and turning freely, you won't believe the diffrence. It will never be a great fence but sure a lot better than most of the ones on the old Craftsmans. If you get it adjusted just right and after you move it, push it toward the table before you clamp it down, it should end up straght with the miter slots. Dick
    Last edited by Dick Brown; 10-20-2010 at 11:19 PM.

I have a similliar problem with my fence on my porter cable contractor saw. I shimmed the fence with blue tape until it fit snuggly and square.

-jeremy

I had this fence. For a while. I could never get it to operate with any degree of accurate repeatability.

The only way I could get it to work was to measure it from the miter slot -fore and aft - and adjust as necessary. It was tedious and frustrating at best.

I finally gave up and installed the Delta T2 fence. It was a paradigm shift in my approach to the tool.

You can make the OE fence work, but it will require constant fettling for each setup to get it square and accurate.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Blog Entries
    I know you said you couldn't afford a new after market upgrade but check around here at the Creek and on ebay. You might be able to find a good interim fence you could use at a used price. I bought a T2 from someone here and put it on my old Craftsman saw. You have to drill some new mounting holes and add some glide supports but it is pretty easy to do. I think I got it for around $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hampton View Post
    ...there are times when i think i can do better with a straight 2x4 and clamps!...lol thats how frustrating this thing is ...

Bob
    Exactly the reason I got rid of my Sears TS 20 years ago! Nobody should be made to suffer like that after spending their hard-earned dollar on a Crapsman!

I rehabed an old Rockwell Model 10 contractor saw and never looked back.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!