Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book Review: The Workbench Design Book / Schwarz

Thumbs up Book Review: The Workbench Design Book / Schwarz

I ordered Christopher Schwarz's latest tome, The Workbench Design Book: The Art & Philosophy of Building Better Benches, and I just finished reading it a couple of days ago, so I thought I'd share.

First off, I did something I rarely do with woodworking books. I read it from cover-to-cover, and I'm glad I did. But more on that later. And don't let the words "Art" and "Philosophy" in the subtitle fool you. This is not some touchy-feely romp into existential woodworking angst. This is a nuts and bolts look at bench building. If it makes you feel better, substitute the terms "How" and "Why" in the the subtitle, because that's really all Schwarz talking about.

In Chapter One, the introduction, he explains that the impetus for this new workbench book was a grumpy old man who was disappointed by Workbenches: From Design & Theory to Construction & Use, because there were only two bench plans. He wanted at least a dozen designs from which to choose. This new book covers nine different bench builds from start to finish and a tenth plan for a proposed build that had not been undertaken at the time of printing. In addition, there are chapters on bench upgrades, tool racks, knockdown options, the latest (and I mean the latest) advances in workholding. Schwarz must have been researching and writing right up until the deadline.

The introduction is followed by "18 Principles for Building Workbenches" that he has gleaned from his research and experiences. Although he acknowledges that he has never be able to work all eighteen into a single bench he does refer back to them throughout the rest of the book.

If you have been following all of the various bench builds going on at Popular Woodworking over the last few years then you are already very familiar with most of the specimens covered, such as Schwarz's Roubo, the Holtzapffel, Megan Fitzpatrick's LVL (Gluebo), Glen Huey's Shaker, etc. If this is you, you may ask yourself, "Why, then, do I need this book?" Well, you may not. However, one advantage I see is that you would have all of those various options in one handy reference. What's more, in the introduction Schwarz expresses the hope that by examining all of these plans and learning what "makes them tick" that you will choose not to build any of them, but design your own bench. To aid in this effort each build is followed by a two page critique discussing what the builder may have changed since the original build and what works well and not so well and why. Schwarz explains the advantages and disadvantages of every standard component and why you might or might not want to include a certain feature or appliance in a design. He addresses issues with which most of us struggle such as bench height, wood choices, vice & workholding choices, etc. But the key throughout the whole book is "choices."

The builds are not covered in excruciating detail, so novice woodworkers might get a little overwhelmed or frustrated, but there is enough detail so that anyone who is already familiar with basic woodworking should be able to follow each build reasonably well. Certain aspects of bench building such as how to do a draw-bore or aligning the holes for bench bolts are covered in greater detail and multiple times throughout the text.

Also, there is a chapter of critiques of common bench designs that can be found on the Web. Reading from cover-to-cover some of the information became very repetitive. By the time I made it to this chapter I was so familiar with the 18 Principles from the previous critiques that I felt that the chapter was really overkill. However, in taking a moment to reflect I realized that 1) "Repetition is the Mother of Learning," and 2) the repetition allows each chapter to stand on its own, if need be. For me, the real value in reading it through was that it brought me closer to designing and building my own bench by making informed decisions, in accordance with the author's wishes.

This is the book that, like the grumpy old man, I was hoping that Schwarz's first workbench book was going to be. I strongly recommend The Workbench Design Book to anyone who is considering a bench build. I think it will quickly take a place beside The Workbench Book: A Craftsman's Guide to Workbenches for Every Type of Woodworking by Scott Landis and The Workbench: A Complete Guide to Creating Your Perfect Bench by Lon Schleining as a go to resource on the topic.

Cheers,
    Charles
    Last edited by Charles Wiggins; 10-21-2010 at 11:04 AM.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Wow. Almost 200 views and no commentary.

Thanks for the review! I think i'll be ordering my copy soon.

Blog Entries
    yes, thank you. I was *this close* to just doing plywood carts or a solid core door type of workbench... But I'm thinking my first real project should probably be a nice work table.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Thank you for taking the time to write your review! It is appreciated

Smile

About 2+ years ago, Christopher wrote a very thorough article in Popular WoodWorking about benches. It was sort of a lead-in to his book.

In my garage were 4x4 Maple timbers for legs, 2x6 Maple for stretchers and a Euro Birch laminated top. The top weighed nearly 200 lbs. These materials waited while I worried. I had bought bench plans from Lee Valley and had another large set of bench from the '80s. I waited. And I continued waiting.

I visited about 20 shops with benches. I looked at commercial benches costing more than $2000. My neighbor gave me a puny Sjoberg Swedish bench. I gave that away to a friend with a cabinet business.

I just couldn't pin down my WWing needs and methods to the specs of available benches. In that area alone, Christopher's article answered all my questions. First, was the size of the bench for the work I do. Second, do I need a tail vise (yes), what kind of face vise (single screw). Width, height. These are specs that will make or break your bench. Particularly the height.

There are so many bench ideas because there are so many experiments. Not all of them will work for you. Rather than frighten you off, one criteria just got easier because of some new products ---- hold-down clamps. Drill your dog holes in the right pattern and location, and it becomes a multi-function work station for nearly every clamping need. Chris shows you how.

If you don't want to buy the book, get the early 2007 Pop. WWing story on benches. You might be able to download it.

Gary Curtis

I'm another huge fan of Chris' writing. When researching benches over a year ago I bought his earlier Workbench book.

What I'd read to that point wasn't gelling for me (much as Gary says), but as a mechanical engineer with a strong background in engineering design and R&D management Chris pressed all the right buttons for me. Apart from the usual detailing of designs and construction methods he rated the available means of achieving each functionality in turn. (in the lingo he methodically mapped functional requirements to design solutions)

In factual terms, and based on what looks like has been an enormous amount of building and testing. With little or none of the fuzzy headed genuflection to 'tradition' that so often surfaces in such books. Yet he's not even slightly dismissive of the older ways.

He inspired me enough to invest heavily in the material for a Roubo-esque bench in beech - which wood is currently conditioning while I finish refurbishment of my shop.

I'm sure it's not perfect, but if the new book builds from his last it ought to be very good indeed...

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 10-22-2010 at 10:36 PM.

The bench I built following Chris Schwartz's guidelines sits next to the newest model Festool MFT/3 table. I find more use in the traditional bench. It invites planing, gluing and clamping. Since I didn't put a tool tray into it, you would expect clutter. But I avoid that.

The Festool is used mainly for cross-cutting boards with their plunge saw, and for making Dados with their router and guide bar. So, you could say the traditional bench is for hand tool work. The Festool for power tools. Most of my shop time is spent there.

Tage Frid stated that a workbench without a tool bin would invite a lot of dropped tools. Or the surface would become a catch-all. I simply try to be disciplined about my tools.

I just tried to order this book and it says it is not out until April 2011. Am I missing something or did you get an early draft of the book? Just wondering as I would love to get it as I am in process of designing my dream bench.

Thanks,

David

I found it on http://www.woodworkersbookshop.com. I think its the soft cover version that is not available until April

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Runde View Post
    I found it on http://www.woodworkersbookshop.com. I think its the soft cover version that is not available until April
    Jay, thanks. I had looked for it on Amazon and couldn't find it. I guess they don't carry every book

David

Charles just adding my thanks for your review

Well done and most useful. Benches have been discussed and written about to the point where it's hard to sort out the information. I am encouraged by what appears to be a balanced and thorough treatment of the subject. Your time is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Larry R
    Seattle

Christopher strikes new ground because he discussed ergonomics. And that includes the geometry of clamping. Vital subjects. Whatever specific building plan you use, the issues brought up by C. Schwartz will help you make the right decisions.

Questions about that kind of stuff held me off from building my bench for a long time. Even with plans.

Great review of a great book. When building my bench I was mid project when I read this book and decided to change my plans; I'm glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Curtis View Post
    The bench I built following Chris Schwartz's guidelines sits next to the newest model Festool MFT/3 table. I find more use in the traditional bench. It invites planing, gluing and clamping. Since I didn't put a tool tray into it, you would expect clutter. But I avoid that.

The Festool is used mainly for cross-cutting boards with their plunge saw, and for making Dados with their router and guide bar. So, you could say the traditional bench is for hand tool work. The Festool for power tools. Most of my shop time is spent there.

Tage Frid stated that a workbench without a tool bin would invite a lot of dropped tools. Or the surface would become a catch-all. I simply try to be disciplined about my tools.
    All a matter of style. I am envious of your organizational abilities, but I not only feel I need a tray, I love having one. I think they are cool and a lot of fin. Also, I use my MFT quite a bit. For assembly, layout, measuring, absurd combinations of holding anything in any position and, oh yea, cutting with the saw, it is exceptional. The combination of my traditional bench and MFT is perfect for me. Oh yea, I made little trays for the MFT too and they are FULL of all kinds of cool little clamps I use on it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Runde View Post
    Thank you for posting that link. Placed an order.

I have his book on Design and Theory, so this one should be a nice addition. I'm currently waiting for knock-down hardware and base materials to complete my first bench, so I'm going to use his new book to help with the finishing touches. The top is tilted up in my shop (half of a small garage) waiting to be finished.