Thread: attic based dust collection

attic based dust collection

I'm primarily a turner, and I'm considering a detached garage shop remodel. I have attic space with about a 6' clearance at the apex, and I'd like to put a dust collector there to reduce noise and free up space. I have a couple of questions.

1. Any recommendations for collection systems that are short in stature?

2. Any reason that I can't put the main unit in the attic and then drop a pipe down to the main level where the canister/bag is located. I don't want to lug bags/canisters of shavings and dust up and down the attic stairs. Assuming it's possible, any tips on getting the set up right?

3. I likely install a small heat/air unit in the attic as well. Any problems having the two in the same attic space?

Thanks

If placing the DC in the attic, you certainly want the bag or barrel to remain on the shop floor, otherwise emptying would be a pain.

I have 10' ceilings in my shop and have the DC blower mounted high on the wall inches from the ceiling, a switched pug to the DC, and vented thru the roof (no bag). I have a Thien style separator with a 6" outlet connected to the blower with 6" stove pipe. This works out great and since the output of the blower goes to the attic and out the roof, much of the noise was cut down as well. The 5" output of the blower is connected to the roof vent by about 8 feet of 8" insulated HVAC flex, the insulation acts as a silencer and noise is no issue for the neighbors, just a low hum. I did this to save floor space in the shop, and get the fine dust out of the shop instead of using a 1 micron bag.

So to answer your questions...

1) If venting thru the roof, the only attic component would be the blower unit, making the size more practical for the space.

2) No there is no reason not to have the chip bag/barrel in the shop, there is every reason to keep this easy to access.

3) No problem sharing the space so long as everything fits and is serviceable.

Let me know if you'd like pics of my setup.
    Last edited by Adam Strong; 10-22-2010 at 5:57 PM.

can you make a chip box outside ? would get the bags out of your way and its hard to believe how much more airflow you get without them plus if you have the noisy part in the attic the box could be big enough to not need emptying very often

Would motor longevity be reduced/signigcantly reduced as a result of the combined motor operating tempertaure and a hot attic??....

I had that thought when figuring out my set up, and that is one reason the blower is not in my attic. This question could be answered by calling the manufacturer of your blower and asking the max temp the motor is designed to handle.

Can you say, CONDENSATION? Warm air from shop area introduced into cold attic results in condensation. A wet sticky mess of shavings, which will be a FROZEN mess in the morning.

I have wondered about condensation myself. My shop is in the 50s or below during the coldest months. The attic space is, of course, much colder, but perhaps NOT freezing, except during the most severe weather. My shavings barrel would be located downstairs in the shop. Still a great savings in space. But, I worry about the pleated filter element at the blower turning to sawdusty ice. Any experiences here?
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Can you say, CONDENSATION? Warm air from shop area introduced into cold attic results in condensation. A wet sticky mess of shavings, which will be a FROZEN mess in the morning.
    I had thought of this, and I'm planning to insulate the attic with spray foam. I would think warm air from the shop introduced into an insulated attic would result in a warm attic, so I'm hopeful that the condensation wouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Another reason to vent thru the wall or roof and not use a filter.