Thread: First 'big' project - King size bed

First 'big' project - King size bed

Waiting for the rain to pass so I can go out and work on my fence. I gathered I'd post something today.

Here's my first 'large item' project I made. Finished a few months ago.
    It's Mission inspired, everything else was planned out in sketchup according to what SWMBO wanted. (Shelf, height, etc).

The key design challenge for me was to create a platform frame that would be manageable.
    I did not want to have to rely on a center support/leg, AND I wanted it to come apart so one person could move it around.

I came up with what I've dubbed, "the frankenframe" (Due to the bolts).

The frame is 2 parts, joined together with 2 full 2x4 crosmembers at the head and foot to distribute the weight. A few bolts thrown into the center joint for good measure. The rails were glued, screwed, and mortised at the ends to hold the bed hook hardware.

The assembly has a small amount of spring when I stand on the center and bounce. It's definitely stood up to my abusive tests.

I then covered the sub frame assemblies with hardboard. (not pictured).

Reading lights, ended up being dimmer than wanted but still nice mood lighting.

Dry fitting tenons (The center part was already finished, hence the different shade)

Glue up with some proof of concept stuff clamped up top.
    Last edited by Justin M Rovang; 10-23-2010 at 2:26 PM.

We made ours very similarly. Just with no foot board.

It looks good and will last for a long time. You're back will thank you every night!

-R

Looks Great.

I don't know why I noticed it, but the object on top of the head board looks just like something on the mission dresser in this post:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...39200#poststop

Is this the new mascot of the creek?

I commented earlier in that thread, it's the twilight turtle! (No relation to vampire movie)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...turtle&x=0&y=0