Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: jig saw/choices

I have the Festool and the Bosch, both in barrel grip, which is my preferred format.. The Festool is definitely a better saw than the Bosch, but for the price the Bosch is a better deal. Won't go wrong with either one.

Steve

Steve, if you don't mind I have a few questions for you.

1) What besides the pendulum feature makes the Festool a better tool?
    2) When did you purchase these machines? Also which did you buy first?
    3) What model # is your Bosch?
    4) Do you consider, the Festool, price reasonable in comparison to the quality over the Bosch?

Larry,

I just want to point out that the Bosch 1590 also has a nice anti-chip feature. Though if you have no problem spending the extra cash, everybody seems happy with their Festools and I'm sure you would be too.

The Festool PS 300 barrel grip is the best jig saw I have ever owned. It is vibration free with no chipout. I find the barrel grip easy to control. In the past I seldom used a jigsaw because of the lousy cuts I was getting. I assumed my skill level was not up to snuff. The Festool makes me look like I know what I am doing. Beleive me, if a tool can make me look talented, I like it alot.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tempel
    One vote here for the DeWalt. I was seriously looking at a Bosch until a friend told me that they must use the Bosch blades while the DeWalt could take not only the Bosch but all others as well. I had too many blades that I wouldn't/couldn't throw out so I went for the big yellow. Mine is a top handle, power galore, and cuts hardwood like butter. I expect mine will last for years as I have only had it a little over a year and use it on a limited basis.

Merry Christmas to all.
    Mike
    The Bosch blades (There are copies from other companies now! ) are far better then the old style. I don't know why you would have used that as the reason for buying a jig saw that isn't worth half the Bosch. But it is your money, you can buy what you want.

I had never heard about, read about or even seen anyone that liked the DeWalt jig saw. I do hope it last for you. They make a very good router, but havn't learned how to build a good jig saw.
    And I think that you are really missing out on how good a jig saw should be.

For the price of blades, I would gladly throw out the other type and get the 1590/1591 Bosch.

I want a new Bosch, but having the older style in both top handle and barrel grip, I can not justify a third jig saw. Maybe I could convince myself that I would save time and money on blade changes. After all, I have the one`s that uses a screwdriver to change blades. And if I would lose the screwdriver, I would be in trouble because I have yet too find one that will fit and reach all the way to the screw head.

I sold my Bosch to create need for a Festool 300 PS. I've always sorta regretted doing that. The Festool is a nice saw, but with shipping came to $300.00. I'd probably be happier w/ the Festool if it had tooless bevel adjustment, but it doesn't. So, the Bosch is a better deal than the Festool is a better saw. You'll be pleased with either.

The Bosch is great! It has been the standard for cabinet installers and finish carpenters for years....not that expensive either. Tremendous control and power.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

one more vote for Bosch,I have two, top handle and barrel grip. I keep the top handle in my truck and the barrel grip in my shop.I guess i feel i have a little more control with the barrel grip.if i had the extral $$ i would get one for the bedroom just to look at!LOL just my 2 cents.

Larry, your short list is a good one. The "new" Bosch has some very nice features, too. But I bought the Festool barrel grip (it was my very first Festool purchase) and have been very pleased with the machine. The barrel grip was more comfortable for me than the D-handle...you really need to try both to determine which is best for your own hands and work. I do have a review of the Festool on my site at http://sawsndust.com/index.shtm.

BTW, the Festool takes Bosch blades and Festool also has some heavier and much longer ones for scrolling in really thick material...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Larry, kinda' hard for me to compare, as I've never had/used the Bosch. Most any Bosch tool I've used, has been nice. That said, though, I opted for the Festool. 1st test cut I made with it was in 8/4 Hard Maple and I made sure to give it a couple good squiggly lines! Took my little engineer's square out and checked the cut line throughout; Square all the way around!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Larry,
    Never used the festool, but have heard only good things. I do have the Bosch and it is a very good tool for the money.

I have the Festool D Handle jigsaw and so far it has done a nice job. I do wish I had the dust blower feature that is available on the bosch.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I hate my dewalt jigsaw. The blade deflects like crazy and the bevel adjustment is very easy to knock out of adjustment.

I love the blade stiffness of my Festool jigsaw. The dust collection is so-so because the plastic housing snap on piece makes it hard to see the cut line.

Thanks to all!!

thanks to all that replied and i will see if i can find that deal at the orange store, and if not will try for the best deal elswhere on a bosch, cant come up with the extra b-fraklin for the green one now. if shipping wouldnt kill me i would help that feller out that needed a excuse to try festool. but it would have to be a deal with a warranty against bad cuts but i would feel good about supporting another great tool company. so where is the best deal at on the 1591 if the orange box doesnt have the deal mentioned?
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Good deals

I have bought a few tools from these guys, they have always been good to work with. I haven't been looking at the deals lately but they have had the lowest prices on what I have looked for in the past (router, ROS, router templates).

http://www.internationaltool.com/bosch1590.htm#1591

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Grimes
    Steve, if you don't mind I have a few questions for you.

1) What besides the pendulum feature makes the Festool a better tool?
    2) When did you purchase these machines? Also which did you buy first?
    3) What model # is your Bosch?
    4) Do you consider, the Festool, price reasonable in comparison to the quality over the Bosch?
    Allen, I have a Bosch 1584 that I've had for about 2 1/2 years. The Festool I've only had since around Sept of this year.
    The Festool will make a square cut in much thicker/harder material than my Bosch will. This was compared using both the Festool blades on both machines, and the Bosch blades on both machines. As well, I've had a problem with bending the footplates on the Bosch cutting some hard woods, most notably Jatoba flooring. I know of two other shops who have had the same problem. One guy has gone through 4 footplates and will never buy another Bosch because of it. Whether the Festool is better in this respect remains to be seen, but I get the feeling that at least they'll stand behind it. Bosch has been indifferent to say the least, quite happy to collect the $35 Cdn each time it happens.
    I do consider the price reasonable for the Festool. Including the extra footplates, I've spent close to the same amount for the Bosch. I think that under normal use the Bosch is an excellent machine, and I suspect the new Bosch would probably be very close or the same as the Festool with regards to the squareness of cut.

Steve