Thread: Awesome new way to make Beaded Face Frame w/pics & vid

Awesome new way to make Beaded Face Frame w/pics & vid

Hello everyone,

I have been working on the design of this machine on and off for about two years.

As of tonight, it is finally operational.

It is a 1975 Delta RAS12 12" radial arm saw with custom notching head that has shear and negative rake. There is a digital height gauge on the side that is accurate to 1/200".

Run the bead on the router table. Knock corner off bead with micro adjustable sled.

Notch other end with pneumatically operated notcher.

IT'S ALIVE!

Video of running bead on router table

Video of RAS12 removing bead

Thanks for looking,

David - Tool Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very interesting use of the RAS there Dave. I love the pneumatic control system, I fear the Rube Goldberg society may give you an award for that invention, but its a thing of beauty none the less. How doe the router table do with the power fed climb cut?

David please explain a little further.

I have been really interested in the beaded frames since Kreg came out with their jig for same. I'm not quite getting what shape or form you are running in the radial arm saw. I am probably going to be embaressed by the simplicity of the answer but I can't see the process. Wouln't this be the part where you are notching out the opening with a router bit? Hopefully you understand my question well enough to respond.
    Thanks,
    Larry R
    Seattle

Here are some shots from today,

Using a single bevel marking knife, I mark where the middle stile needs to go on the lower rail.

Shot of middle rail now fitting into lower rail.

I am switching widths of material, I am going from 4.684" to 4.130" wide material. Doing the math, I need to lower the RAS head 0.554". I reset the digital height gauge to zero and lower the head 0.555. Test cut shows height setting is bang on.

I got most of both sides of the island frames made today. I expect to finish them tomorrow.

This is just too Cool! Two years in my head, now a reality! Works awesome. This is going to make making all the beaded face frames for all my built ins sooooo much easier.

Some final shots of the joints.

Thanks for looking,

David - Tool Guy

One last shot,

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Rasmussen View Post
    I have been really interested in the beaded frames since Kreg came out with their jig for same. I'm not quite getting what shape or form you are running in the radial arm saw. I am probably going to be embaressed by the simplicity of the answer but I can't see the process. Wouln't this be the part where you are notching out the opening with a router bit? Hopefully you understand my question well enough to respond.
    Thanks,
    Larry R
    Seattle
    I have done it with a router bit in a router, it is a PITA.

Look at the test cut on the offcut, that is the profile of the cutterhead.

Thank you,

David.

Beaded Face Frame

Dave, Great job on with the radial arm saw. Tom

David, the end result is outstanding!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

David, you have built a very nice system, I like the automated operations shown in your videos. Just the other day I saw a similar system from Sommerfeld's advertised in a magazine. Their ad showed the cutter that removes the bead, mounted in a table saw and being used with a sled to hold the rail or stile being notched.
    http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/prodi...?number=01020B

David, you should get an ww ingenuity award :-)

Question: When I look at the final face frame.... I am curious, why not just make a straight face frame and add bead molding? Seems easier, and same end result? I am sure I am missing something, please advise... thx

David,

Nice tooling and great results but wouldnt getting the kreg system be alot easier? I watched the kreg video and it seemed pretty easy to get the results you are achieving with the kreg setup.

Will,

adding the bead after is very time consuming and tedious. Think messy glue and filling of nail holes and that is after lots of miter cuts with tiny moulding.
    I will take Dave's way or the kreg way over adding the bead after any day.
    Fullerbuilt

Eiji,

I can see that...but it took David 2 years to get this far!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.