Thread: Table Saw Inspiration

Table Saw Inspiration

I stumbled on this table saw station http://lumberjocks.com/projects/17852 and really love it.

I have a Porter Cable job site table saw http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=24026

The biggest thing that I don't like about the saw is the top. What would be the disadvantages of building a replacement top out of laminated MDF to match the rest of the top of the table saw station?

-jeremy

I have the same saw, this is a very tempting option. Could probably integrate a router station to save space.

Would love to see pics if you get this done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Greiner View Post
    What would be the disadvantages of building a replacement top out of laminated MDF to match the rest of the top of the table saw station?

-jeremy
    If any of the inner components are mounted to the top, I wouldn't want to depend on mdf to hold them.

If you can spare some depth of cut, you might consider a one piece top, including extentions, that sits on top of the existing top.

I agree Erik, the original Shop Notes article had a router table on the side and I think I'm going to add that as well.

I don't believe the top is holding anything in place, but I could be wrong I'll make sure to check that.

-jeremy

The only other thing to consider is building this in such a way that would allow for future/larger saw to be mounted. I just don't know how committed I am to this PC saw. I predict keeping this thing aligned and true will end up being more work than I care for.

I think you should price out all of the components before going forward. Then compare it to the cost of a decent contractor's saw, which I would think is comparable functionality. I'm assuming you are doing this as a hobby and consider your time 'free' as you would enjoy building it.

Also, you may want to consider re-sale value. I don't see home built models getting much return on resale, while something like a SawStop contractor saw will probably get 50% back on if you decide to sell it.

Good luck to you if you decide to build it. The guy on lumberjack did an amazing job.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Jensen View Post
    I think you should price out all of the components before going forward. Then compare it to the cost of a decent contractor's saw, which I would think is comparable functionality. I'm assuming you are doing this as a hobby and consider your time 'free' as you would enjoy building it.

Also, you may want to consider re-sale value. I don't see home built models getting much return on resale, while something like a SawStop contractor saw will probably get 50% back on if you decide to sell it.

Good luck to you if you decide to build it. The guy on lumberjack did an amazing job.

Roger
    I have priced a lot of it out, I bought the Kreg precision router table system earlier this week. Due to a shipping mishap and Amazon being out of stock (directly) I'm being refunded my purchase. So I can re-order through a reseller on amazon or I can build my own.

I started researching building my own when I stumbled on the lumberjocks article. For just over the price of the Kreg precision router table system, I can buy all the MDF, Laminate, a good table saw fence and additional accessories I need to buy (T-tracks etc..) I get an amazing router table AND a huge boost to my table saw output.

-jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    If any of the inner components are mounted to the top, I wouldn't want to depend on mdf to hold them.
    Well, looks like I was wrong on that, the motor is mounted to the top in such a way that I'd only have about 1/4'' of MDF holding it up.

I did some more digging and found that the saw is less than 90 days old, making it elgible for return so I gathered everything up and returned the saw.

Now to figure out if I want a cabinet saw, or another better contractor saw.

-jeremy