Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipe ?

Ipe ?

My cousin is sending me some Ipe cutoffs from some decking a neighbor did in so Florida. It is referred to also as Ironwood. When a turner talks about a piece of ironwood, is it Ipe? Apparently pretty hard wood. Regardless of what it's called, Im sure I'll get a few pens out of it!
    Thanks...
    mj

There are lots of different kinds of ironwood. Generally, when I hear someone talk about ironwood, I think of desert ironwood(Olneya tesota)... It's absolutely gorgeous stuff. I don't have a lot of experience with the other species, but I believe that they are all hard, dense woods

Ipe is also referred to as brazilian walnut. I can definitely see why they would call it ironwood though. It has the fire rating of steel and conrete, last for about 100 years finished and about 70 years unfinished. If it turns a little grey with age you can take a pressure washer to it to get the greay to go away. It is very heavy and very pretty. I have about 350 bd ft of it.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Blog Entries

Ipe

Ipe is hard & dense but is not desert iron wood. About the color of poplar and plain jane grain. Say that three times.
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

Ipe is interesting in the fact that it's the only wood that will sink in water.

I turned a piece of it once. I think one could get bigger chips out of a brick. Definitely very hard stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Thompson View Post
    Ipe is interesting in the fact that it's the only wood that will sink in water.
    I may be mistaken, but I think desert ironwood will do the same. I think there are actually several different woods that will sink in water. Somebody on here will know whether or not that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by David Woodruff View Post
    Ipe is hard & dense but is not desert iron wood. About the color of poplar and plain jane grain. Say that three times.
    Ipe doesn't look at all like poplar and often has very interseting grain. It has a variety of colors from dark coffee brown to a mocha tan or slight orange/reddish tint. It is super hard and machines nicely but requires super sharp tools and can chip out easily. It is an oily wood and super dense. Gluing and finishing can be problematic due to the oils.

There are a number of woods that have specific gravity that exceeds 1.0 (meaning heavier than water). Ipe is one. It reminds me of teak, high oil content, lots of silica so it dulls your tools, turns grey when exposed to the elements, makes great deck wood (I can jump up and down on a 1 by 6 spanning 16 inches and it doesn't bounce, and I am big). It used to be cheap, but then got popular so is more expensive now. Great wood. Pronounced "ee-pay".

robo hippy

I made a few pens out it. They look nice but you want to start with a sharp tool.
    God is great and life is good!

The other day, someone brought in a counterbore that was bent like a pretzel. One of his students tried to drill through Ipe a bit too quickly. It is HARD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt View Post
    Ipe doesn't look at all like poplar and often has very interseting grain. It has a variety of colors from dark coffee brown to a mocha tan or slight orange/reddish tint. It is super hard and machines nicely but requires super sharp tools and can chip out easily. It is an oily wood and super dense. Gluing and finishing can be problematic due to the oils.

I didnt want to start a fuss but my Ipe doesnt look like poplar at all either. It is very pretty wood.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    I have about 350 bd ft of it.
    Karl,
    About how many pens will that make?????

Quote Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
    Karl,
    About how many pens will that make?????
    Optimally, approximately 16,800

Ipe

Cocobolo is another wood that will sink in water. It is also oily.
    Max if it is to be it is up to me.