Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to pick up my new (to me) Jointer today!!

Going to pick up my new (to me) Jointer today!!

Only two more hours!!! I feel like its Christmas or something!! And yes Tyler the digital camera is charging!!!

two hours

Tim/
    Okay, its been two hours-where are the pictures?
    Did you get your jointer?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Tim, those batteries outta be charged by now!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Tim -

Cough 'em up! Or are you busy playing with your new toy?

Congrats,
    Ted

Sorry guys, got caught up in "christmas" stuff ....I did pick it up. Looks to be in OK shape, a little more rust on the base than i was expecting, but other than that it seems fine. I will post pictures tomorrow. For those who don't know...its a Powermatic Model 60 8" jointer built in 1989. I think it will need a new motor, link belt , knives and a good scrubbing. Also thinking about a mobile base to make it more, uh well...mobile.

Merry Christmas to all

Congrats. Looking forward to the pictures, right Tyler?
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Angry

This Thread has been officially declared a Non Gloat for failure to produce pictures in a timely manner.

Non Gloat

A 10 picture penalty has been assessed for non compliance.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Here are a few pic's....its looking pretty rough right now, and a big part of me thinks i should have gone for the brand new grizzly. Maybe after i clean it up i wll feel different. It was an awkward position to be in since this was a friend and client of mine. Had it been a stranger and i saw the amount of rust on this unit i would have walked away...but once i clean it it up i hope i feel as though it is was worth it. The thing that has me most worried is the rust on the cutter head. Once i get it inside and put some elbow grease into it i will post some cleaner pix...but i know Tyler wasn't going to sit down to his turkey dinner till these were posted
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Tim, it will clean up nicely and the PM model 60 is an American classic. Plus, you'll know the machine inside & out. I think you chose right.

Congrats!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hey Tim, congrats on the new jointer. Dont worry, from what I see in the pictures the rust is very minor compard to some machines Ive saved. My old 1967 Craftsman shaper was in a lot worse shape than that when I got it and it looks brand new. Not as hard as you think either. I used Naval Jelly, orbital sander, wire wheels on the drill and everything else I could to get it off but it shines like a new penny. I would have jumped on this jointer too, that tiny bit of rust wouldnt bother me at all!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    That's going to clean up real nice Tim It will be filled with great learning opertunities as well as Kodac moments
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 12-25-2004 at 11:45 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    Here are a few pic's....its looking pretty rough right now, and a big part of me thinks i should have gone for the brand new grizzly. Maybe after i clean it up i wll feel different. It was an awkward position to be in since this was a friend and client of mine. Had it been a stranger and i saw the amount of rust on this unit i would have walked away...but once i clean it it up i hope i feel as though it is was worth it. The thing that has me most worried is the rust on the cutter head. Once i get it inside and put some elbow grease into it i will post some cleaner pix...but i know Tyler wasn't going to sit down to his turkey dinner till these were posted
    Tim/
    Looks pretty nice from the photos and I am sure it will clean up quite nice. I am not sure what your concerns are about the cutter head and rust. I think a year from now once you have it running and its all tuned up you will be glad you made the purchase, and your friend will be sad he sold it.

Hey Tyler,

Is it now a 12 pic penalty because of your late dinner??

tommorrow I'm cooking a 1olb prime rib roast and hopefully that will bribe a couple friends to come help me lift it out of the truck and down into my warm basement. I will experiment with some diffent ways to clean the rust off and talk to my brother about sanding down the base and completely repainting it PM yellow. I have an email into PM to see if I can get the paint code. if I get anywhere with the cast iron i will post some pictures. I can see this turning into a money pit, as i want to order the mobile base, link belt & pulley, motor and now I am thinking about ordering a new magnetic switch.

Many a machine is taken apart and bead blasted. This will remove all the rust. Then you can prime and paint. PM stocks the paint in spray cans.

After bead blasting the cast iron will polish up easy with a bit of rub down.

Whats wrong with the motor ? If it`s 3 phase then simply get a phase convertor. Now I am assuming the magnetics match the motor. Sure the belt is worth replacing. But the pulleys should be ok if they have not been damaged. Motors are cheap to replace however. Check Grainger or ebay.

Take a step back and evaluate just what you really need to do. It sounds like you may be spending money you dont need to.

Or if you want. Give it to me and I`ll rebuild it for you for a couple bucks.