Thread: Panel Saws

Panel Saws

There's always a lot of talk about backsaws/dovetail saws on here. But as I put together a list of tools I want, I'm trying to find out what would be good as far as bigger saws like panel saws - things for cutting boards to rough dimensions.

What manufacturers do you guys recommend for both rip and crosscut saws - both new and vintage?

Thanks in advance for all of your input!

If you're going new, get a saw with hardpoint teeth and replace it when it's dull. I have sharpened and restored a bunch of saws, and I can't match a hardpoint saw for cut speed on crosscut (I haven't tried to rip with a hard tooth saw).

If you're going old, anything WWII or prior with a tapered blade, extra money spent on a good quality saw with a nice taper and a tote will help you work more comfortably, though I can't say the saw will cut better or faster than an offensive looking cheap saw. You have to get a couple of them to decide what you like.

It's worth your trouble to become an educated buyer and look around for a while. Some people think a D8 is worth $200, and some think they're worth $10. When sharp, they are no different.

Do you sharpen your own saws? If so, a saw with a straight tooth line and the tooth count you want, and you're good to go with an hour or two of work.

I personally do not see the need to buy new panel saws, great quality panel and carpenters saws are out there in spades, with saws as good as have been made (Disston #12s) with full plates floating around often for $55 or $65 from reputable sellers like walt Q.

One of my favorite rip saws is a full-plate saw with a nib that was marked warranted superior and it was $3 at a flea market, with no rust and a good set of teeth.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 10-25-2010 at 8:41 AM.

Gotta give my 2 cents on this one. I thought I'd try out one of the Stanley sharp tooth saws out for cutting rough stock by hand. The price was right and, although I would love a new LN, Wenzloff, etc. panel saw, I wanted to save the cash for other tools I had my eyes on (like my new Wenzloff carcass saw ). Anyways, I was really, really happy with it. Cuts really fast and straight. I waxed the blade and took a file and sand paper to the handle. Someday I may make my own handle for it. For under $25 I'd definitely recommend it!
    The one I got was the 26-inch, 12-point saw.

What about pax saws from tfww?