Thread: Candy Dishes

Candy Dishes

I sold a Spanish Cedar Platter to a guy who liked it so much that he brought me some 2" x12" Spanish Cedar and ask me to make him as many 9" diameter Candy Dishes as I could from it. He wanted them in the same design as the platter and plans to give them out as Christmas presents.

I got 10 Candy Dishes out of the wood. I took him the first one to make sure we were on the same page with the design. He liked it, so here are the other nine ready for delivery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They all look great! Congrats on your commission! Hope it leads to many more!

Nice looking hollow forms as well!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Those are beautiful Bill! What kind of finish did you use?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Blog Entries
    Those look great! Kinda looks like an offering plate.
    Have a Nice Day!

They look great Bill. I've only done flatwork with Spanish Cedar, how is it for turning?
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

Nice platters, Bill! And, I am with Steve on the HF - they look very nice, as well, particularly the one on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cunningham View Post
    They look great Bill. I've only done flatwork with Spanish Cedar, how is it for turning?
    Rob, It's real soft wood, very porous. It turns easy but you really do need sharp tools as it is really bad at tearing out. The good thing is, that it is so soft you can sand out the tear out without much problem. The guy who ask me to make these first wanted me to make him salid bowls with it, but because of these characteristics of the wood I talked him out of it. He settled on Candy Dishes.

Jim Burr; Quote: What kind of finish did you use?

Jim, I put two heavy coats of Tung Oil Finish, then applied several heavy coats of a homemade concoction called "OB's Shine Juice" and buffed with the Beall System. "OB's Shine Juice" is a mixture of equal parts of BLO, Shellac and DNA. I got the formula form a guy in Louisana (Captain Eddie Castelin <eddiecastelin@cox.net>) email him and ask for a copy of his "Tip Sheet", lots of interesting stuff there.

Ncie work there Bill, all around. And thanks for the Csp'n Eddie tip...he's quite a character from what I can see on youtube!

OB's Shine Juice...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bulloch View Post
    Jim Burr; Quote: What kind of finish did you use?
    Jim, I put two heavy coats of Tung Oil Finish, then applied several heavy coats of a homemade concoction called "OB's Shine Juice" and buffed with the Beall System. "OB's Shine Juice" is a mixture of equal parts of BLO, Shellac and DNA. I got the formula form a guy in Louisana (Captain Eddie Castelin <eddiecastelin@cox.net>) email him and ask for a copy of his "Tip Sheet", lots of interesting stuff there.
    Bill, OB's Shine Juice sounds like a concoction that might have come from OB O'Brien, a lovable, good-hearted, bear of a friend of mine, who lives down in Pensacola. I wonder if he's where it originated......
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Nice looking dishes and congrats on the orders!

Very nice looking candy dishes.. Those will make very nice presents to whomever the gent gives them to.

Eddie is quite the fellow. Love watching his videos over and over. Always seem to pick up something from him.

Nice platters Bill.