Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another CL Rant...

Thumbs down Another CL Rant...

There were few topics recently in regards to "CL is good - CL is bad" but let me vent off a bit...
    Many several weeks ago, I found a PM 719T advertised on CL not too far from me. Replied, waited and waited and waited and asked again, got a reply saying that he would be away up to a month so we would talk once he gets back. Waited another month, sent him a reminder and he got back to me. Made an offer and he accepted it and provided me a phone number to call. I also indicated that there was a sale going on and I had to get it before the sale ends. He suggested times to come to pick it up also asked if I would be interested in other equipment he was selling including a PM2000 which I was interested and going to check it out when I get there. He suggested maybe it would be best the following week so there won't be too much rush. I reminded him that I am taking his word to defer it till after the sale is over. I've emailed him today to schedule a convenient time within next two weeks since I had no trips scheduled. He gets back to me right away saying that he had a change of heart and not selling anything. it was a gift from his wife and she was upset for him wanting to sell it. I've replied kindly stating that he should think about it how he would feel if someone else treated him as such reminding him that I took his word as is. What would say if same to happen to you? Of course, he has all the right to change his mind with or without a reason but what happen to common courtesy and keeping your word? I would have been able to have it delivered to my doorstep for $809 (CPO was applying 10% discount as well during the store wide sale event - confirmed!) if I were not too naiive to trust a stranger just because...

Let's say, for arguments's sake -- that the guy was telling the absolute truth.

I would say that his obligation to her is stronger than his obligation to you.

I'd be disappointed, too, if I were you.

Cross your fingers that another one comes along -- in better shape, and for a better price.

And I'll cross mine, too.

Maybe you could call CPO, tell them your story, and beg ? Seriously. Stranger things have happened......

Ruhi, there will be another sale.
    It would have been nice if he gave you a quicker response, nevertheless, the seller has every right to change his mind, particularly for the reason he gave.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It is a wonder though why so many put an ad on CL or other sites and then leave town.

I think that you put too much emotion into it. Craigslist is just a website that allows people to exchange information. You've just found out that some of those people are ___ ____ (fill in the explecative).

And it didn't cost you any money. I use craigslist and like it, but you can't count on anything until it is in the back of your truck.

and remember:
    "THERE WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER DEALS"

Blog Entries
    I see people getting unbelievable good deals on craigslist so I guess it works for some.

I dont know, I think I prefer using the classified section here on the creek. Not super incredible pricing but solid. I've bought a couple of tools that way.

I've noticed an ad in the CL near me (Baltimore, MD) He says he has a brand new still in the box PM-2000 for $1250. I replied to his ad a week ago and still havent heard from him. ??? The ads still up if anyone is interested.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 10-25-2010 at 9:01 PM.

Unfortunate but another deal is coming for you. Have patience and it will happen - maybe better than these deals!

Just tell the guy thankyou, wish him the best sincerely, let him know he can ask you any questions about wood working he might have, and move on to the next deal.

Sometimes finding close-ish woodworking friends are worth way more than woodworking deals. Good Karma will pay off big time in woodworking deal finding.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post

Good Karma will pay off big time in woodworking deal finding.
    This is it. Conduct yourself well, be patient, keep the oil changed, and it will happen. If others do not act with integrity, that's not your problem.

I concur. In my reply to him I was clean and cordial. He must feeling pretty bad. He wrote back explaining more. I said no worries and if anything changes in the future, one way or another, to let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhi Arslan View Post
    Many several weeks ago, I found a PM 719T advertised on CL not too far from me. Replied, waited and waited and waited and asked again, got a reply saying that he would be away up to a month so we would talk once he gets back. Waited another month, sent him a reminder and he got back to me. Made an offer and he accepted it and provided me a phone number to call. I also indicated that there was a sale going on and I had to get it before the sale ends. He suggested times to come to pick it up also asked if I would be interested in other equipment he was selling including a PM2000 which I was interested and going to check it out when I get there. He suggested maybe it would be best the following week so there won't be too much rush. I reminded him that I am taking his word to defer it till after the sale is over. I've emailed him today to schedule a convenient time within next two weeks since I had no trips scheduled. He gets back to me right away saying that he had a change of heart and not selling anything. it was a gift from his wife and she was upset for him wanting to sell it. I've replied kindly stating that he should think about it how he would feel if someone else treated him as such reminding him that I took his word as is. What would say if same to happen to you? Of course, he has all the right to change his mind with or without a reason but what happen to common courtesy and keeping your word? I would have been able to have it delivered to my doorstep for $809 (CPO was applying 10% discount as well during the store wide sale event - confirmed!) if I were not too naiive to trust a stranger just because...
    Ruhi, what was your first clue that the seller was not too awfully motivated to sell??

I have never encountered quite your type of experience on CL. I have answered a few ads by email when no phone # was given, and received no response until finally the seller said it was already SOLD! CL ads with no phone # freak me out. Motivated sellers don't mind answering the phone!

But, most sellers I have done business with were ready and willling to sell if a price was agreed upon. There will always be exceptions, and extenuating circumstances beyond our control. All we as buyers can do, is try to be first in line when an item appears that we are interested in. The best bargains are usually GONE the next day. There is no time to dilly dally around!

IF I received only foot-draggng from a seller while the same item was on sale at a good discount...well, a bird in the hand...

At least you did not send money for something you did not receive. You did not drive a good distance, only to be told the item was no longer for sale. You lost only your naïveté. I have had great luck on CL so far. But, I don't doubt if I do it long enough, there is sure to be a downside, sooner or later.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Ruhi, sorry to hear about the deal falling through, and it sounds like you comported yourself well.

However, my opinion on this is slightly different. This was a business deal, CraigsList was just the way you got introduced. And while supposedly verbal agreements are valid, the truth is everyone hears what they want to hear and slightly differently. No court in the land would uphold a contract without something in writing, just based on a statement from you. There's a good lesson in here for you-- get it in writing!

Every time I buy something on CL, I go view the item and MAKE THE DEAL. If for some reason I can't pick it up right then, first I am probably being foolish, but then... I have both of us sign a Contract For Sale, stating the item is sold, stating he agrees to STORE MY ITEM there until pickup at some time, and then I give him something to do so! If you "make a purchase" and contract for him to hold something for you, but you give no "consideration" i.e. pay him something for this, then there is NO SALE by contract law. You must realize that him agreeing to hold an item for you costs HIM something, if nothing else opportunity to sell to others is lost, you MUST pay him something for this.

While we may want to be able to sink a deal with a phone call, if you have any expectation that you'll both agree to the relative costs of changes in the deal or failure to execute, you MUST agree on breach penalties, timing, failure to execute costs and ramifications etc. ahead of time, and get it in writing.

Here is the "standard" form I use for securing CL sales, so I have some documentation to stand on if I feel I got taken advantage of, which you may find useful:

Agreement and Record of Sale and Receipt for Deposit

I, _____________(seller), have agreed to sell my __________________________(item model and serial #) to __________________________(buyer), for the sum of $______. The sale is effective as of noon, _________(date), contingent upon receiving a deposit of $_____ from buyer, which will be in the form of a personal check for $_____ sent via US Mail on __________(date).

I agree to deliver the saw to buyer's home address of:
    ___________________, by ___________(date). The remaining $______ owed will be given me upon delivery of the item, in either cash or check at my option. I will include any parts/tools/literature I have for the item as well as: __________________________________________. In the event I fail to execute this contract by date above, buyer will be entitled their deposit back as well as a liquidated damages fee of $200, which I agree is a reasonable estimate of their damages caused by my breach.

Signatures/printed name:

Seller ______________________ _______________ Date: __________

Buyer_______________________ _______________ Date: __________
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Blog Entries
    Online Craigslist ads are like asking a girl out on a 2nd date. Don't be that guy who calls 10 times and leaves a bunch of messages. Give it 2 shots and move on with life (or man up and make the deal in person).

13. Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    Here is the "standard" form I use for securing CL sales, so I have some documentation to stand on if I feel I got taken advantage of, which you may find useful:

Agreement and Record of Sale and Receipt for Deposit

I, _____________(seller), have agreed to sell my __________________________(item model and serial #) to __________________________(buyer), for the sum of $______. The sale is effective as of noon, _________(date), contingent upon receiving a deposit of $_____ from buyer, which will be in the form of a personal check for $_____ sent via US Mail on __________(date).

I agree to deliver the saw to buyer's home address of:
    ___________________, by ___________(date). The remaining $______ owed will be given me upon delivery of the item, in either cash or check at my option. I will include any parts/tools/literature I have for the item as well as: __________________________________________. In the event I fail to execute this contract by date above, buyer will be entitled their deposit back as well as a liquidated damages fee of $200, which I agree is a reasonable estimate of their damages caused by my breach.

Signatures/printed name:

Seller ______________________ _______________ Date: __________

Buyer_______________________ _______________ Date: __________

I think you guys are taking CL too seriously. It's simply a web based classified section. Personally, I would never sign a contract for a tool sale, unless you're talking something REALLY expensive. If you are selling something and I sign that contract, what's to keep you from taking parts out of the machine or swapping parts while I'm away? If you do I'm not protected from that by the contract but am still bound by contract to buy the item if I discover something like that? I don't think so. When I buy off of CL I email if there is an email and then I call. If I don't get a response from either one, I move on. Once and done. When I'm selling I hate it when the same person blasts me with tons of calls and emails. I know we're talking about expensive tools being sold sometimes, but hey, this is Craigslist, not the (insert major tool manufacturer here) Store. Ruhi, sorry you wasted a bunch of time on this, but if the guy decides right before you hand him the cash to back out he has the right. I'm sure he'd much rather be on your short list than his wife's short list. Keep looking, great CL deals are everywhere!

I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Who knows, perhaps you'll find the deal of a lifetime now that you still have your cash and a tool need.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    It is a wonder though why so many put an ad on CL or other sites and then leave town.
    Yessss, it's like this, Umm, I'm about to waste your time ,and everyone else replying to my CL ad, but feel to engage me and get your time wasted...... Oh, and by the way, I'm leaving town for an undetermined amount of time, but still, please respond to my CL ad....
    My recent Chicago CL ad favorite was a poster who didn't want people asking the following about his Campbell-Hausfeld compressor: What model is it, what are the specs on it, how big is it, etc. I mean , come on, what does he expect, russian roulette salesmanship?
    Hey, don't waste my time, just guess from the picture I provided and bring your money....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    I see people getting unbelievable good deals on craigslist so I guess it works for some.

I dont know, I think I prefer using the classified section here on the creek. Not super incredible pricing but solid. I've bought a couple of tools that way.

I've noticed an ad in the CL near me (Baltimore, MD) He says he has a brand new still in the box PM-2000 for $1250. I replied to his ad a week ago and still havent heard from him. ??? The ads still up if anyone is interested.

PHM
    I'm pretty sure That's the same scam artist that tried that a while back if you're talking about the "saw" in Lutherville/Timonium. Looks like the same pictures as the one that was for sale here in Houston.

Steve