Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gloat and a question: McNaughton or Oneway

Gloat and a question: McNaughton or Oneway

My wife has told me to order a coring system for my birthday. Gotta love a woman like that!!

So the question to all you guys that have or have used both, which one? I have the PM3520b.

Thanks for the input!

Your wife doesn't have an unmarried sister with a similar disposition toward turning, does she?

Congrats on the b-day gift... I don't have a system, but I'm looking forward to seeing the recommendations... I've got a birthday coming up you know!

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Your wife doesn't have an unmarried sister with a similar disposition toward turning, does she?

Congrats on the b-day gift... I don't have a system, but I'm looking forward to seeing the recommendations... I've got a birthday coming up you know!
    Me too! Thanks for the birthday idea. Usually it is something from Lie Nielsen since we happen to be there every year around my birthdya. Of course a lot of you guys are probably saying Lie who? My poor LN tools are feeling forgotten these days.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Sorry, sister-in-law is married and spends all her money on herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt View Post
    Me too! Thanks for the birthday idea. Usually it is something from Lie Nielsen since we happen to be there every year around my birthdya. Of course a lot of you guys are probably saying Lie who? My poor LN tools are feeling forgotten these days.
    I think you can take the blades out of those old LN tools and make scrapers and parting tools.

win win

Greg, You can't go wrong with either one. I have the Mcnaughton, and have cored many sets, but if were to do it over I think I would get a oneway or woodcut(?). I like the idea of a pivot point. I still occationally turn a thin bottom (usually on other peoples prize burls!) which would be harder to do with a pivoting set.
    On the plus side for McNaughton, its faster to set up, less expensive, and does a good job . There are a number of good videos that show how to use it.
    I confess that I haven't tried any other systems than the McNaughton and probably will never buy another because the McNaughton is doing the job (usually). i core every bowl blank I turn because its faster than hollowing with a gouge and you end up with another blank. Whichever you decide on, you should be happy.
    Tom

I'm with Tom on this too. I've got the McNaughton and though I haven't used it too much, it's done well for me. The only reason I went with this one was the price at the time I was looking. I like how the Oneway is set up though.

Greg I have the oneway and have cored one set of bowls. I like it and it is easy to use. I don't think you can go wrong with either but like I said I used both and went with the oneway. I just liked the ease of use.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

i got to try the oneway coring system this past weekend at the Virginia Woodturner Symposium. it works very well with short learning curve. the thing about the oneway system is that it has support post for the blades so the blades do not bind. you also need at least a 16 inch swing. i have not tried any of the other system so it is hard for me to compare them.

10. Coring system

I have a coring system (McNaughton) system that I would like to sell, no handles though, someone picked them up and walked off with them. I have the complete set of knives and they haven't been used very much much, would make someone a good price on them.

There is much interest in these, so I will post a photo of what I have, so please be patient.
    Last edited by David Campbell; 10-26-2010 at 9:06 PM.

I recently picked up the Mc from another memer here, and the few times I have used it I found it to be fairly simple. The Mc appealed more to me for the ability to vary the shapes a bit more.

I have the Woodcut. I got it because I liked the idea of super simple. And that it is. It isn't as flexible as the others. It has 2 blade sizes and you use each one once according to their docs.

I am told you can play with angles and changing position in order to get more sizes out of it. But i was less concerned with making a Mahoney style 9 nested bowl set and more concerned with just not wasting away, as much fun as that is, the entire inside of a nice big bowl blank.

I got mine with a longer neck-stem-thingy, that's the technical term, from Craft Supplies here in Provo. It is about 40 minutes at most from my house. They were quite helpful in selling it etc...

Someday I will have to figure out how to get more bowls out of the coring but I think what I like best about it is that it is pretty much foolproof. No funnels etc...

One of these days when I take the training wheels off I think I will get a OneWay. By then I should have plenty of money to go with my new skills.

Joshua

p.s. Oh I bought it from CSUSA when they were running a 20% off your whole order deal. So I got it for right around $200 even. Was just too good a deal to pass up.

I have McNaughton and use it regularly on my Powermatic. I would say, for the money, it is a great tool. The One Way may not be as versatile, but is very capable of producing relatively thin cores for nesting bowl sets. I have made a few funnels with my McNaughton, but I am satisfied with the overall results. You must keep it sharp and oil or wax the blades for each cut.

I have all 3 systems, and you can search for more detailed posts if you want.

McNaughton is the one I use, exclusively. It is faster to set up and use, once you get the hang of it. There is a learning curve. It can core any shape except hollow forms. It has the best deep parting tool out there, and you can core plate forms because it has flatter blades. The Standard set will core just about 99% of everything you will want to core. They are the only system that has a set of blades designed for the mini lathes.

Oneway is the most expensive, and the most stable if you are going big (14 to 18 inch cores). You have to remove the tip to sharpen them, and if I was going to use it full time, I would have a belt or disc sander for the tips as I find the grinder wheel difficult even with the holder. You do have to stop the lathe to advance the support finger, which on a big bowl can be 3 to 5 times. Easy to use.

Woodcut is small. The big blade is a 5 inch radius, so you can go slightly larger than that, but not much. You do have to hook the tailstock up to the back of the platform that it is on for coring. A down side to me since I never use a tailstock for bowl turning. Works fairly well on 12 inch 1 hp lathes. Easy to use.

robo hippy

Good question Greg! The Oneway is expensive but to me seemed like it might be easier to use the the McN. I heard many stories about how difficult the McN was and the stuggles people were having. Reed is one of just a few I know who prefers the McN. The advantage is that the McN is suppose to be more versitile and you can core more shapes. Well, for me, when I am coring I basically want one flowing shape...nothing fancy. I do not need a bunch of different shapes as I'm coring.

A couple of things are a must with these systems...the knife has to be very sharp always...you must have a very good tenon... and the chips cannot be allowed to build up. Also I think it helps if you use wet wood. These are things I found to be helpful. I saved up and got the Oneway and have never looked back! I usually core in the winter january and feb and I still have bowls from 2 years I have not gotten too. Hope this helps, Vince
    Last edited by Vince Welch; 10-26-2010 at 2:27 AM.
    VincesWoodNWonders