Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Krenov Style Planes

1. Very Nice! As was mentioned, I agree that the details are what really win over with these planes. The Lamb's Tongue is a beautiful touch, and having the chamfer transfer from that around the front, with the widening of same chamfer, what can I say. It's just downright sexy. The use of brass rod for the pin is great as well.

Oh, the grain of the beech is very nice as well. What finish did you use on them?

Thumbs up Very nice!

Thanks for the tutorial on the brass pins. Nice planes too.

David, the irons are adjustable with mallet taps on the sides of the bodies as well as the sides and back. If it becomes too much of a hassle I may cut the bodies down, or buy new irons.

Thanks George, your compliments mean a lot, I've admired several pieces of yours. They are a 3 piece construction. I've never heard of the soles pooching, although I can see how the forces on the pin would want to separate the cheeks from the iron bed. Is that a common problem? They are nicer than Krenov would've made, but only because Krenov insisted they be quick and dirty. The shape is inspired by the prettiest Krenov I've seen, Tom Fidgens. The sneck is only for my fingers, the wedge is loosened by rapping the heel of the plane.

Jeff, I find myself holding the block and sometimes the smoother just as you do, right over top of the iron. It's very controllable and intuitive with that grip.

David, the finish is Post-cat nitrocellulose lacquer, I was worried they'd be too slippery but I haven't had a problem.

Bill, Rob, Sandy, Jeff, Mark, Paul, thanks for the kind words. I really enoyed making them. Both the lambs toungue and the brass were firsts for me, and there's nothing I enjoy more than doing something for the first time.
    Darnell

If you really enjoy doing things for the first time,thrust your whole arm into a kettle of boiling water!!!!

Darnell,
    Those are lovely planes. Excellent seams and the details are top notch. I wish I had some lignum vitae when I was making mine .

But is the pin protruding? If so it would make it hard to use with a shooting board.

Nice planes!
    Salem

Top rate work, did you leave the inside unfinished.
    Cheers Ron

Thanks Salem, I got the Lignum Vitae from Lee Valley, every now and then they'll have it in their project wood pile. I prefer a low angle plane on end grain, so I wouldn't use these with a shooting board.

Thanks Ron, I sprayed the inside the same as the out, being very careful to get a nice coat on the bed- no runs, drips, or sags were allowed there. The bottoms are unfinished, but the LV is so oily it's hard to tell.
    Darnell