Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for Record 044 replacement blades?

Source for Record 044 replacement blades?

Anyone know a source for replacement blades for the Record 044? I just need a couple of 1/4" blades for a couple of 044's I intend to dedicate to planing grooves for drawer bottoms. So far all the possible sources I have found with google are sold out.

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Paul

If you don't find a source, let me know, for some money I could make the 1/4" cutters for you.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Erickson View Post
    Anyone know a source for replacement blades for the Record 044? I just need a couple of 1/4" blades for a couple of 044's I intend to dedicate to planing grooves for drawer bottoms. So far all the possible sources I have found with google are sold out.

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Paul
    Do you have a mill file, a set of calipers and a hacksaw?

If you know what thickness they should be, they are the ideal first iron to make because they're small and easy to heat treat.

Hi Paul,

You can get a set of 8 new cutters made by Ray Iles.

http://www.oldtoolstore.co.uk/

Part number RI012

IIRC I once sent him an email, and he was prepared to sell single irons as well.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Do you have a mill file, a set of calipers and a hacksaw?

If you know what thickness they should be, they are the ideal first iron to make because they're small and easy to heat treat.
    I don't know what thickness they are supposed to be. If anyone happens to know, that information would be helpful. I do like the idea of making my own. Will look around for material in the event nothing else shows up.

Thanks for the replies.

cheers, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gillard View Post
    Hi Paul,

You can get a set of 8 new cutters made by Ray Iles.

http://www.oldtoolstore.co.uk/

Part number RI012

IIRC I once sent him an email, and he was prepared to sell single irons as well.
    Thanks for this.

cheers, Paul

I have the Marples version of the Record 44. If you decide to make the blades, let me know if you need dimensions. Though if you have other width blades then it should be obvious. Mine does not have the depth adjustment for the blades, so my blades do not have grooves on the back as most of the Record blades do.

EDIT: Looks like Trevor has given you specs on the grooves. My blades are only 3/32" thick instead of 1/8". Length is 2 7/16", call it 2 1/2". Bevel angle is 30°. I can't be 100% certain that was the original angle, but I believe these blades had never been sharpened after leaving the factory.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrae Covington; 10-25-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Record #044 Cutter Measurments

My original cutters measure 1/8" thick, there are 4 groves that are .072" wide spaced .2" on center. and are half the thickness or 1/16th deep.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Walsh View Post
    My original cutters measure 1/8" thick, there are 4 groves that are .072" wide spaced .2" on center. and are half the thickness or 1/16th deep.
    Hi Trevor,

Thanks very much. I assume you have access to your 044, I can't get to mine right now. Can you tell if thicker blades could be accomodated?

cheers, Paul

Andrae,

Thanks very much.

cheers, Paul

There is some wiggle room, and the 1/8th there is slightly smaller, they are using metric stock I imagine. If I was making them, I'd start with the 1/8th and after lapping to flat and lapping after heat treatment that would be perfect.

Even though there is some room, I don't know why you'd want thicker cutters there. Chatter is pretty much a non issue considering the application. I don't think they would fit 3/16ths stock, mouth issues and chip clearance... and 1/8th inch stock is standard and cheaper than say .155" ground stock, know what I mean?
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Walsh View Post
    There is some wiggle room, and the 1/8th there is slightly smaller, they are using metric stock I imagine. If I was making them, I'd start with the 1/8th and after lapping to flat and lapping after heat treatment that would be perfect.

Even though there is some room, I don't know why you'd want thicker cutters there. Chatter is pretty much a non issue considering the application. I don't think they would fit 3/16ths stock, mouth issues and chip clearance... and 1/8th inch stock is standard and cheaper than say .155" ground stock, know what I mean?
    Thanks, just checking on the possibilities.

cheers, Paul

Blades

It was surprisingly easy to make a few for a 45 with steel from McMaster and Carr. You need a Mapp torch.

I've found that the cutters from my MonkeyWard 45 (same as Stanley 45) fit my Record 044c. And that the replacement cutters you can still order from Stanley will fit both. Also found that they fit fine in my old Stanley 48 too. Just that it's obvious they aren't original to it since they have the notch and number stamped at the top.

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/ploughcutters.html

As to the quality of the steel, I can't say much since my sample set is pretty small. Only replaced a couple and they seem fine but they haven't seen heavy service. YMMV. But being small, it wouldn't be a big deal to rework them with a torch, some oil and a little time.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Andrae, Thats a nice plane you got there, condition is great any guess on the age? My only complaint is the red...I don't think I could stand the red. I'd be tempted to remake one in brass... I get temptations like that a lot, it's bad sometimes.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop