Thread: Business card holder

Business card holder

Have a function coming up and needed a holder for my business cards that I have just ordered. So not having a holder and the function will have a turned piece that I did I decided to turn a card holder. All walnut, barrel is 4" long, about 2" in diameter and whole unit is 4.5" tall. Business cards are 3.5" long. Comments welcome and thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Novel approach and a nice piece. Just the right touh for a woodturner! Good luck at your function!
    mj

Steve, I really like how you cut the lines in the barrel, and did the end caps and bands - really looks sharp! Very well done, and immediately noticeable.

You did a great job on that.

Neat idea and great job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

nifty-keeno!

Forgive me if this is a dumb question -- how did you make the slot for the cards? My thought is to dig out my hollow chisel mortiser.

Like the idea for the card holder, I think I might simplify it and just make a flat on the bottom of the 'barrel' and forgo the stand. Obviously I'm not as much a turner as most of you guys. Still a neat piece.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Cool idea and a great execution. Love the barrel theme...Bill...

I REALLY like the idea!
    I'm thinking of doing one for myself, then seeing how people respond ti it. If they want to buy the one that I use, I would make more.
    You set a high standard with this one, well done.
    Change One Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Belany View Post
    Forgive me if this is a dumb question -- how did you make the slot for the cards? My thought is to dig out my hollow chisel mortiser.

Like the idea for the card holder, I think I might simplify it and just make a flat on the bottom of the 'barrel' and forgo the stand. Obviously I'm not as much a turner as most of you guys. Still a neat piece.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    Jeff,
    I used the lathe to bore a 1.5" hole in the blank. Then used a chuck in expansion mode and brought up the tail stock. After it was turned I cut out a piece with a bandsaw. While cutting I used a small clamp, don't like fingers close to the bandsaw blade. The ends were turned round from a piece of walnut and then I sliced off a couple pieces, sanded and glued to the end of the barrel. Not too hard, just several processes.

Pretty cool idea! Nice detail work! Good luck at your function!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That's pretty neat Steve. As soon as I saw the picture I immediately thought that you could use this design to create a business card holder for a judge or such, that looks like the business end of a gavel!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    That's pretty neat Steve. As soon as I saw the picture I immediately thought that you could use this design to create a business card holder for a judge or such, that looks like the business end of a gavel!
    That was my first impression. I also like the detail making the barrel look as if it was made of planks.

Great idea and neat detail with the staves!