Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We wuz robbed

We wuz robbed

4 guys followed my accountant back from the bank , had withdrawn cash for my low level staff with no bank accts. Walked in 5 mins after he got back , shop full of customers , one guy drew a 9mm and went into his office , held the gun to his head and demanded the cash ($2k)
    No one hurt , no shots fired , cops on hand in 10 mins We noted the getaway vehicle's make and tags

Other 3 distracted my staff while this was going on.
    We have acess controil , guys claimed they were from a soccer club wanting to buy trophies.
    I told my staff that eft is now only way to pay , if they dont open accts , we will give em a cash cheque and they can stand in the bank waiting for money.
    We think this is an inside job via the bank , its not uncommon here for tellers or ppl in the bank to advise others who has withdrawn what.
    At least the cops responded well , fingerprint guys , detectives , videographers , constables and even trauma councillor all on the scene , found the getaway vehicle and arrested the driver , but the crooks stole another vehicle similar and switched plates with an innocent guy...
    In South Africa , this type heist is common , but mostly ppl die - thank goodness we are just a statistic but not a fatal one...
    I gotta get outa this place - wild west here - we going the way the rest of Africa is - a s---hole governed by savage nepotic mercenary tinpot dictators.....
    Anyone got a job for me in the States?
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Rodne, thank good ness no one was hurt! going to all EFT or cheques (is that the same thing as a check? ) is a good idea.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Rodne,

Glad to hear no one got hurt, Money comes and goes, but life...well you only get one shot at that.

Sounds pretty rough, but going forward, limit the cash hey.
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Blog Entries
    Dang, Rodney, that's horrible... as you said, though, at least no one was hurt. I only converse (indirectly, like through these types of forums) with a few people from Africa, but I have always wanted to believe the nasty violent stuff us 'mericans see on TV shows about African gangs and such is just that, a story in someone's movie. I'm still holding out, despite stories like this.

Oh, and I'd be happy to clear off some desk space for you... 50/50 partners, too I'm <20 miles from two major cities, our nation's capital Washington D.C. and Baltimore, so there's plenty of work to be had I wouldn't mind getting someone experienced in here...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Wow, Rodne, that's terrible! Like others, I'm glad no one was harmed. Are things really so bad there that you would consider moving to the States? That would be a pretty major move I would think. Like Dan, I just didn't realize that what we see on the news here isn't blown out of proportion and isolated incidents.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

And why the States....how about London....the cost of living isnt exactly cheap, and it rains a lot....oh wait, now I know why the States!!
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Anyone got a job for me in the States?
    You could probably find something here if you found a way to get in and you're willing to work.

A buddy of mine lived in south africa (originally from the UK) for quite a while after college, but he had the same itch as you and moved here about 15 years ago. He loves it here.

I recommend a state with open carry permits. EVERYONE can wear a sidepiece. Maybe Texas or Florida. Climate would be about the same.

Rodney

I too am glad no one got physically hurt.

With your talent, knowledge and business savvy, you could set up shop anywhere and do well.

Of course, we have our share of crime in the USA as well as anywhere else in the world.

Regards,

Pete
    Trotec 25W Laser, ShopBot PRT Alpha 48 x96 CNC, Roland Vinyl Cutter, Compucarve CNC, Ricoh GXe7700s Dye-sub printer, Hotronix Clamshell Heat Press, Pad Printing Equip, all normal woodworking and electrical tools.

Rodney, so sorry you had to go through an experience like that! It can happen anywhere, though, these days. It sounds like you got some good support from your police, which is a help. I'm like Dan, I always wondered how true the "stories" are that we hear about the corruption and wild state of affairs in Africa.

America is a great country, you'd be able to find a place you like here, but that's a big move and you'd be giving up some of the things you love to come here.

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Glad nobody got hurt.
    You can move here to Wisconsin but remember, we're just starting winter here in the Northern Hemisphere.
    You can come work for me, but I can only pay you in beer.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Rodne, I feel for ya, having been robbed myself once. Glad you and your staff are OK. My nieghbor of 22 years is from South Africa, if your half as fun as him, you'd surely be a great guy. Come to TX we get to carry our guns with pride, in fact one of our local banks was just on the news, the bank president wanted all his gun carrying customers to bring thier guns in the bank with them, "Beware Bad Guys" . Plus with your knowledge I'm sure we can find some work for you. Buisness here is booming.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    Bad things could happen anywhere, but it is wise to play the odds. Those stories that start out "he was a great kid, just having some fun at a club at 3:00 AM" say to me choices have consequences. I have friends in Kenya, and the stories from there are incredible. Wait until the emotions are under control and then choose wisely. In spite of any other problems, the US is still a nation of laws based on equality, and that is a great reason to be here.
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

Dang! It seems like more and more often we end up saying (if we are lucky enough)
    "it could of been worse."

Having been carjacked myself at gun point a few months back, I understand
    what it means to have a gun pointed at you!. I too was "lucky"
    as it could of been much worse, just lost my car and a few hundred dollars.

You have incredible talents and understanding what it takes to thrive
    in this industry. You'll do good wherever you land.

I hope your employees understand that carrying cash makes them vulnerable.
    They are better of with a fund transfer or a check as they become a "target" themselves!

If you make it stateside to check things out let us know, I'm sure whatever
    area your in someone here at the "creek" will be close
    and may even buy you dinner!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Gotta Love Texas!

the bank president wanted all his gun carrying customers to bring thier guns in the bank with them, "Beware Bad Guys" .

Greg, Sounds like my kind of bank!

Rodney, There's plenty of room for y'all in Texas! Come on over!
    Jeanette Brewer
    Engraving Concepts