Thread: Anyone have experience with WoodMarvels.com dxf files?

Anyone have experience with WoodMarvels.com dxf files?

I am on the lookout for some pre-made 3d puzzle-like cut files to run out of 1/4" plywood on my CNC router. My son has a school session that involves medieval weaponry and this site has a nice selection of catapults, etc.

I've made some of my own designs (not for catapults...) but am still working out the bugs of scaling the joinery, etc. I came across the above website which sells both EPS files for lasers and ready made dxf files for CNC routers. I also know that many of these types of files are available free various places, although they often need cleaning up etc.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the products from the above site? They seem to have a nice selection and might be worth a try if the files are high quality.

Richard

Hey Richard,
    I don't know anything about this company, but from a little reading, it sounds like the guy is really trying to put out a good product. Folks evidently have groused about his pricing model, but he explains that if he priced models like they would have him price them, he'd quickly have a money losing proposition- and would no longer be able to produce the nice models he sells.
    From this blog entry about fair compensation, it's evident to me that he takes a lot of care preparing these for the customer:

http://blog.woodmarvels.com/fair-com...siness-dilemma

And thanks for bringing this company to my attention. I might just have to look into making some of his models on our router...

I loved this quote from the blog entry I linked to above:

Design is more work than people think!
    I have a friend who wrote a very interesting quote in his Skype which essentially says “everybody sees you as pregnant but nobody knows how may times you had to make love to achieve it”. Design is very similar, the files are “cheap” considering the amount of time, education and hardware/software is required to make and promote them!
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 10-28-2010 at 1:53 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

OK, some feedback. I purchased both the DXF file for 6mm plywood and the pdf file showing instructions for the Chinook helicopter (son's choice), etc. I don't think that the pdf was particularly helpful for someone who bought the DXF. In the future, if I do this again, I'll probably just spring for the DXF file. The assembly instructions are pretty scanty but they do have a full assembly 3d video on the website which should work very well.

The DXF file was nicely done and clean. Loaded easily into Aspire and worked well with the nesting function. They didn't provide any recommendations with respect to router bits for cutting this out so there will be some trial and error. On the other hand, sent a quick question to tech support and got an almost immediate and helpful response, which is nice.

So far I've been pleased with the experience and the owner seems to run a smooth operation. Will provide more feedback once I cut out the file later this week.

Richard

Cut out some parts from the helicopter file on the router. Looks pretty nice. Obviously, proof is in the assembly, but I'm pleased so far with the file.

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fun project. Came out reasonably well. Got it done just in time for my son's birthday tomorrow. Hopefully he will enjoy building it.
    Attached Images Attached Images