Thread: Need an inexpensive mobile base for a Grizzly 8" jointer (G1018)

Need an inexpensive mobile base for a Grizzly 8" jointer (G1018)

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive mobile base for my 385 lb. Grizzly 8" jointer (model: G1018)? Here's a link to it: http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-...-Jointer/G1018 and the spec sheet: http://cdn2.grizzly.com/specsheets/g1018_ds.pdf

Cash is a bit tight right now so I'm trying to spend as little as possible. Actually, does anyone have one they'd like to sell me (that's usually the cheapest route)?

Thanks,
    Greg

A relatively inexpensive way to go is the kits either Rockler or Woodcraft sell. Those you add your own hardwood (the Rockler) or plywood (Woodcraft) to adapt their kit to your machine. I've had both and I prefer the Rockler.

Harbor Freight sells something similar to the Rockler but instead of a kickstand wheel, theirs uses locks you have to thread down which aren't as convenient. I'd choose either of the above over that.

The Harbor Freight mobile base is rated only to 300lbs. Fine for my HF band saw, not so good for this heavy jointer.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I made one.
    I used 2x4s for the front/rear rails, a couple 2x6s on top of those at the ends. Carriage bolts hold it together.
    The wood is jointed square.
    A piece of plywood for the bottom is screwed into the 2x4 bottom sides, and 5" wheels mounted to the 2x6s. It's a lot stronger than anything I found.

I used the 5" wheels because the jointer is so heavy, smaller wheels have a tendency to push the 1/2" rubber floor mats into a bunch.
    I'll snap a pic if you would like.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night