Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performax 16/32 or 22/44 - Feed Tables Necessary?

Performax 16/32 or 22/44 - Feed Tables Necessary?

I am contemplating the purchase of a Performax sander - either a 16/32 or a 22/44. I know that bigger is usually considered better from much that I have read in the comments on this. But, I am not sure it is really necessary in my case. Any additional thoughts on size would be appreciated.
    Also, are the infeed and outfeed tables really necessary for these units? I seem to remember reading posts that indicated they were not required to get a good output. Again, thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amabile View Post
    I am contemplating the purchase of a Performax sander - either a 16/32 or a 22/44. I know that bigger is usually considered better from much that I have read in the comments on this. But, I am not sure it is really necessary in my case. Any additional thoughts on size would be appreciated.
    Also, are the infeed and outfeed tables really necessary for these units? I seem to remember reading posts that indicated they were not required to get a good output. Again, thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.
    I used to have the Delta unit that was simliar.. I think it was 18/36 or whatever.. The outfeed tables are very helpful when sanding longer pieces. They are not totally necessary. You can hold the piece or use roller standes. However, during a long day of sanding, your mind will wander and you may not provide adequate support with your hands and get some snipe on some boards when they are coming out.

I have a larger Supermax now. The infeed/outfeed tables are very expensive, so I opted not to buy them. I am getting by.

That's a long winded way of saying that you kind of have to decide if the tables are worth the expense or not.. The Delta tables were easily removed, so they did not take up floor space when the sander was not in use. I am not sure about the Performax sander tables (if they are removable or not).

As far as width.. It depends on what types of projects you make. I really loved getting the extra width. I would get the 22 inch model if I was you, if it does not cause financial strain. It's nice to be able to sand a wider glueup without flipping it. I'm guessing the wider machine comes with a more powerful motor as well, which is nice to have on a drum sander, even when sanding narrower pieces.

I have the 16-32 with out the tables. As such it's a lot like a tablesaw without an outfeed table. You have to be ready to catch and support the pieces as they exit. On longer pieces (~4'+) the extra support would be nice but not required IMHO.

On a different note, I far as I recall, the tables are not easily removed and not foldable. I'm short on floor space, so there was the $$ expense and the sq ft expense I had to consider.

I have a 22-44 pro, it came with the tables but they were not installed, I used it for awhile without them but you have to be there to catch the material. I installed them after a couple hours of use and would not go back to using without them, feed the piece and walk away. The only downside is the extra room the tables take up.

having the xtension tables makes running a series of pieces a lot easier - gives you more time to get around the other side.
    jerry
    jerry

The tables are a convenience, they do not affect the quality of the finish.

I sure like having them on mine tho I suppose for short things that they're probably not necessary. I tend to run some thin things through quite often (1/16 or so) and use a carrier board that's about 3 ft long even if the pieces are shorter so I'd miss the tables to keep it running through flat. I'd hate to get snipe on something that thin.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    +1 on that. If you sand a lot of smaller pieces, they are a lot of help, as well as the long stuff. If you sand "average" sized stuff, 12" long or so, not so.

I have the Jet 22/44 Pro. The infeed/outfeed tables are great to have with any work much longer than 18", especially if it has any width to it.

Yes, the tables are a great help. However, you could easily make some on your own.

I just set up a roller stand on the output side. Dick B.
    Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC -->
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

22-44

Just a bit off topic...just bought ( ordered ) Jet 22-44 ods... what is the width of the sandpaper rolls for this machine, and a good supplier. Im also thinking of ordering the outfeed tables. New to the forum tks..

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post

On a different note, I far as I recall, the tables are not easily removed and not foldable. I'm short on floor space, so there was the $$ expense and the sq ft expense I had to consider.
    I haven't felt the need yet but i have a couple pics of fold down infeed and outfeed tables. I build a cabinet for the 16-32 rather than using the stand. The cabinet is much more useful for storage and it'll be easy to attach fold down tables if/when I do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    I agree with Will....I have the Performax 22-44 with no tables and have never really needed them cause when I use the sander I always stay with the item(s) I'm sanding....

I've tried roller stands but they are not really effective because each time you reset the depth of cut on the sander (table moves up! ) the roller stands need to be re-adjusted (real PITA)
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Length of Rolls

Bill,
    I order bulk rolls from Klingspor for my 22/44. Just use the strip that comes with the machine as a pattern. it takes about 2 min. to make a new one. It is a lot cheaper than ordering pre cut strips. I use mainly 120 grit.