Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta DJ-20 V belt..uhh...does that say $53?

Delta DJ-20 V belt..uhh...does that say $53?

I'm getting ready to put a byrd head on my DJ-20, and I figure now is a good time to change the drive belt just for good measure. So I'm trying to find the trade number or size of that belt on line, and in looking it up I find Delta wants $53 +shipping for that item. McMaster Carr seems able to provide a high quality goodyear belt for $6.52 in that particular size.

Just who the BLEEP BLEEPING BLEEP BLEEP BLAP do they think thy are kidding? OK, I get that Delta's price may be a bit higher as they are not in the "belt sales" business, but thats quite a mark up, no? If I marked up hardware to a customer 800% I could be arrested.

So, from the people that brought you the $3 quart of gear oil for $48 (but that's another story for another rant), its the "special Delta V belt" (whose trade number they seem to want to hide) for $53! I wonder if anybody has ever bought one of those?

The local Honda dealer's selling spark plugs for $56. Spend $6 plus shipping on the belt.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post
    The local Honda dealer's selling spark plugs for $56. Spend $6 plus shipping on the belt.

Pete
    I used to work at a motorcycle parts counter, this sort of thing doesn't surprise me, but is does still irritate me! We used to stock "ferring bolts" that cost $3 each from Yamaha, but had a box from Master Carr under the counter for $.05 each, same bolts, same grade. Go figure?

Yup, I ordered the master carr version, went for the cogged belt upgrade, grand total of $11! Even link belts are cheaper than delta belts.

I have a DR field mower with a dual blade mowing deck that uses a long V-belt. Of course, the maintenance manuals caution us to replace the belt with a genuine DR belt that is specifically designed for the mower. They want over $60 + shipping. The EXACT belt, identical right down to the numbers is about $15 at the local supply house. I think maybe DR has tmoved the corporate offices to Nigeria.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

My wife drives an Escalade. She had her purse on the console and started of one day. The purse slid off and broke the ashtray bracket on the back seat end of the console. It is part of the "end cap" of the console. Price to replace was $585.00 4 years ago - we passed.

I needed to replace a starter on a 1956 Jaguar XK-140 - Britih Motors wanted $180.00 for it - Turned out there was a Ford starter that was identical and cost less than $30.00 (this was in 1965).

I worked for a wrecking yard in the early 1960's. The owner would buy several brand new Cadillacs each year and part them out. He figured he tripled his money by selling the parts. It was painful dismantling those cars when they had less than 20 miles on them.
    Last edited by Glenn Vaughn; 10-29-2010 at 8:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Vaughn View Post
    My wife drives an Escalase. She had her purse on the console and started of one day. The purse slid off and broke the ashtray bracket on the back seat end of the console. It is part of the "end cap" of the console. Price to replace was $585.00 4 years ago - we passed.

I needed to replace a starter on a 1956 Jaguar XK-140 - Britih Motors wanted $180.00 for it - Turned out there was a Ford starter that was identical and cost less than $30.00 (this was in 1965).

I worked for a wrecking yard in the early 1960's. The owner would buy several brand new Cadillacs each year and part them out. He figured he tripled his money by selling the parts. It was painful dismantling those cars when they had less than 20 miles on them.
    That is the most interesting idea I have ever heard! Sell them new for parts! Perhaps I could buy brand new Grizzly jointers and sell them for parts to delta owners? Could make a killing until people figure out they can just buy grizzly tools themselves and cut out both delta and the middle man. Oh wait, people seem to have figured that out in droves already!

Blog Entries
    Any proper sized belt will do. I put a link-belt on my G0490X (clone of the DJ-20 to a large degree). Much quieter if that matters but the price will sneak back up on you.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Welcome to the wonderful world of Delta... Parts are WAY overpriced. But it sounds like I'm preachin' to the choir.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Franz View Post
    I have a DR field mower with a dual blade mowing deck that uses a long V-belt. Of course, the maintenance manuals caution us to replace the belt with a genuine DR belt that is specifically designed for the mower. They want over $60 + shipping. The EXACT belt, identical right down to the numbers is about $15 at the local supply house. I think maybe DR has tmoved the corporate offices to Nigeria.
    Thanks, Ben. I just bought a DR 44" tow behind. That info will be useful, down the road.
    Nice Mower, BTW.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I was recently quoted some repair prices from a Nissan dealer for my car. Now keep in mind that the sign in the office says $79 per hour labor rate.

Crankshaft sensor replacement $200
    Rear brakes rotors and pads $404 total
    Front brakes rotors and pads $397 total

Now I replaced the crankshaft sensor, took 1 hour and cost $38 (and that included figuring out where the flipping thing was and how to get to it)
    Rear brakes: 1 1/2 hours, $90
    Front brakes: 1 1/2 hours also, $100

And I get the middle of the line stuff, not the cheapest but not the most expensive.

Now, If you do the math subtracting the parts cost from their price and divide by the time
    Crankshaft sensor replacement (200-38)/1= $162/hour
    Rear brakes rotors and pads (404-90)/1.5=$209/hr
    Front brakes rotors and pads $397 total=$198/hr

And this is a weekend warrior doing the job in his driveway. Not a professional that works on the same type of vehicle in a garage at a comfortable height with all the tools at the ready. Factoring that in, it should take them less time to do the job than I increasing their profit. This is why my wife doesn't mind the extra clean-up in the bathroom sink after I get finished working of the cars. (clean the sink or pay $200/hour not to)

But now if someone would like to pay me $200/hr to work on their car...

Well next time your on a commercial flight sitting on the cheap plastic toilet seat look in the mirror and smile because your sitting on a 2000 dollar seat. Thats just for the seat.

Phil

Wow, the negative stuff about Delta is flowing. I gotta tell ya, I think I am one of the lucky ones. I have several Delta tools new and old and I have had nothing but great service from them. I had a couple tools that weren't performing exactly as I thought they should and the Dewalt/Delta/PC service center in OKC fixed them right away at no charge. The only tool I have that didn't last as long as I think it should have is my PC 18 ga nailer. It tends to easily jam. But my DJ20, New Unisaw, and 10 other Delta shop floor tools work great. Maybe I am just lucky.

John, I had acquired a Delta 6" jointer. It was about 5 years old (IIRC) but had never been put together. The only thing(s) missing were all the bolts, nuts, etc to put it together...the bags had gotten lost in the years that the original owner had it set aside. I called Delta to get the bags of parts. Not only did they not have "bags of parts", but they couldn't get them for me unless I knew the exact parts numbers and quanitities of said parts for EVERY screw, bolt, nut, etc. Once I figured out what I needed, I called them back. A couple "parts" into it, as I realized I was being charged $3-5 per bolt, I decided to go to the local ACE...where I got EVERYTHING I needed for about $25.

When I needed new bearings for my DJ-20 (when I was replacing the cutterhead with a Byrd) I got quoted something around $40-50 for EACH bearing. Ended up getting them at Grizzly for a couple bucks each. Are they the same quality? Not sure. No guaranty that the ones from Delta are any better. They MIGHT be, but no guaranty. And from their history of overpricing replacement parts, I second guessed whether or not it was worth it. That was enough to make my business stray from them.

When I got an old Delta Lathe, I wanted some parts for that, too. The tool rests and things were so out there, that again, I went elsewhere to find what I needed.

For me, my answer to the OP came from my experiences. Your milage may vary...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    John, I had acquired a Delta 6" jointer. It was about 5 years old (IIRC) but had never been put together. The only thing(s) missing were all the bolts, nuts, etc to put it together...the bags had gotten lost in the years that the original owner had it set aside. I called Delta to get the bags of parts. Not only did they not have "bags of parts", but they couldn't get them for me unless I knew the exact parts numbers and quanitities of said parts for EVERY screw, bolt, nut, etc. Once I figured out what I needed, I called them back. A couple "parts" into it, as I realized I was being charged $3-5 per bolt, I decided to go to the local ACE...where I got EVERYTHING I needed for about $25.

When I needed new bearings for my DJ-20 (when I was replacing the cutterhead with a Byrd) I got quoted something around $40-50 for EACH bearing. Ended up getting them at Grizzly for a couple bucks each. Are they the same quality? Not sure. No guaranty that the ones from Delta are any better. They MIGHT be, but no guaranty. And from their history of overpricing replacement parts, I second guessed whether or not it was worth it. That was enough to make my business stray from them.

When I got an old Delta Lathe, I wanted some parts for that, too. The tool rests and things were so out there, that again, I went elsewhere to find what I needed.

For me, my answer to the OP came from my experiences. Your milage may vary...

Well said, experiences vary.

Could some of it have to do with the repair/service centers called. I know there are several in my area but I have always had really good luck with the one I go to. Maybe it is like your local woodcraft. Each one gives a different experience related to the individual owner.

Um, I've been calling Delta directly...
    I drink, therefore I am.