Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best dust mask that won't fog up my glasses

Blog Entries

Question Best dust mask that won't fog up my glasses

I'm looking for a dust mask the won't fog up my glasses, does anyone have any suggestions. I'm not looking for a respirator, just something for sawdust.
    Thanks
    Dennis

Dennis,

When turning and especially when sanding I wear a Trend Airshield. It has two benefits. 1) It filters a tremendous amount of dust. 2) The air flow prevents my glasses from fogging up and sweat from appearing on my forehead in the summer heat. This is especially important if I am turning during our hot summer months here.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-29-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Look for the built-in exhaust vent versions

If you don't want the really neat device mentioned by Ken and just want the simple dustmasks, I've had decent luck with some of the N95 type dust masks that have an exhaust valve built into the lower part of the mask. You may need to try several brands as I've discovered that they don't all put this type of valve in the exact same place, which leads to a difference in " anti-fogging" performance. Don't have my box of masks in front of me so I can't remember if they're 3M or A.O Safety. Anyway, try single mask from each brand before you buy them in bulk boxes to get the right mask for you.

Take a piece of tape and place it on the dust mask and partially on your skin over the bridge of your nose. The tape prevents exhaled air from passing by your glasses and prevents the fogging.

This is a tip I picked up from surgeons during my surgery rotation (I'm a medical student). Usually we had masks that had a piece of plastic that went between the mask and bridge of your nose that worked effectively.

I know you said you didn't want a respirator, but I can't help mentioning the 3M 7500 series. It is very light and comfortable, imho. I wear it with the P100 (pink) filters and my glasses NEVER fog up. I don't find it that much heavier or inconvenient than the decent paper masks with vents. I wash it out with warm water when it gets dirty (and shop vac the filters), so it's cheaper for me in the long run than buying disposable masks. Plus I can add the other filters for work with finishes, etc. when I want to. The woodwhisper has a pod cast (#87 Dust in Time) about dust control in general and recommended this model mask and I'm super happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Callan Campbell View Post
    If you don't want the really neat device mentioned by Ken and just want the simple dustmasks, I've had decent luck with some of the N95 type dust masks that have an exhaust valve built into the lower part of the mask.
    +1. I can't find a respirator that I like, so I use the 3M 9211 dust mask. The exhaust valve totally eliminates any fogging of my glasses. You can buy them individually from WoodWorker's Hardware if you want to try one, first.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...81&cat=1,42207
    Great mask seals on my beard and doesn't fog glasses.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 10-29-2010 at 8:36 PM.
    Paul

I use the dust bee gone mask. woodcraft and rockler carry it. Very comfortable and does not fog up glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by brian wight View Post
    Take a piece of tape and place it on the dust mask and partially on your skin over the bridge of your nose. The tape prevents exhaled air from passing by your glasses and prevents the fogging.

This is a tip I picked up from surgeons during my surgery rotation (I'm a medical student). Usually we had masks that had a piece of plastic that went between the mask and bridge of your nose that worked effectively.
    That does work (I'm an anesthesiologist), but isn't foolproof. It also really messes with the skin on my face, so I rarely do it.

I've found the 3M N100 masks with the bottom vent to work pretty well. Not foolproof. You need to make sure to wipe off sweat from your face before putting on your glasses / mask, or it will still fog up with those.

Thinking of the face shield myself. Do they distort your vision?

+1 on the 3M 7500 series with the p100 filters - I've used decent p95 disposables for years, and the 7500 is more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time, never fogs my safety glasses, and is slim enough to wear under a face shield. (I bought the large size 'cause I have a big noggin'...)

Dave

This is what I use and it works fine. The only unpleasant problem is that you tend to drop saliva (spit) from the bottom of the mask and it often gets on your work. They say this will stop as you get familiar with the mask, but it hasn't for me. But it does work and doesn't fog up your glasses.

http://woodworker.com/resp-o-rator-w...r&searchmode=2

3M8511

-Steve

The 3M 8511 seems to do an excellent job of keeping the fog off my glasses.

you might wanna try different glasses, not a mask... i use fastcap goggles that were only 7$, they create a gasket against your face. and i use just a simple 3m dustmask

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Komroff View Post
    I use the dust bee gone mask. woodcraft and rockler carry it. Very comfortable and does not fog up glasses.

Though, I am not completely sure about the efficacy of the Dust Bee Gone it is without a doubt the most comfortable and most fog free dust mask I have ever used.