Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Name 3 Turners Who Have Influenced You The Most

#1 - robo hippy, I was lent his video from a turner I had never met. It introduce me to bowl coring.

#2 - Mel Turcanic, Our local club president. He lied to me every time I showed him my early projects and he told me how good they were and then incouraged me to keep going.

#3 - Jimmey Clews, his videos, sense of humor end his eye for design. Plus I get to see him in Spokane Wa. on the 12th of novemeber.
    Duff

Rember: Experience is what you get just after needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by George Guadiane View Post
    Paul Petrie
    Don Orr
    Steve Sherman
    Three guys who never stop raising the bar and share what they learn as they go.
    Good call George.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I have been reading this thread for a couple of days, trying to think of the top 3. I have decided to list the top 3 but include others that are so close that there is very little difference in how much they influenced what I do in my turning.

Richard Raffan
    Stuart Batty
    John Jordan

Mike Mahoney
    Bill Grumbine
    Del Stubbs
    Reed Gray
    Keith Rowley
    Don Maloney local turner, mentor and friend
    Tom Boley local turner, mentor and friend
    Steve Schlumpf, Sawmill Creek
    Travis Stinson, Sawmill Creek
    Wally Dickerman, Sawmill Creek
    Keith Burns, Sawmill Creek

My first turnings were pens, not all that long ago. So, my first influence were the penturners who broke out of the kit pen mould and designed and turned one of a kinds. A brit, nicknamed Skiprat got me thinking about doing things differently than most.

When I "graduate" to bowls, I bought the Grumbine videos. Since then, I've taken two two-days sessions with Bill. He is a great teacher, a fun guy and a true influence.

Lastly, would be two local turners. I know the OP said 3, but 3 in the US is 4 up here in Canada. My first turning ever was with a guy named Bart Poulter at a LV afternoon session. He got me hooked with his enthusiasm. Since then, I've met Lionel Bedard. He loves wood and what is inside it. He makes me think.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    3 in the US is 4 up here in Canada.
    And here I thought the exchange rate was just about 1 to 1...

1) Richard Raffan: because he introduced me to the bowl gouge back in 1992 and took the scraper out of my hands changing the way I turned.

2) David Ellsworth; because he was at the fore front of the "long fingernail grind" and the grinding jig.

3) All the members of this forum. One can gleam a couple of life times of experience just by reading this forum and growing from everyones input.
    Trying to eliminate sandpaper - one curly shaving at a time.

1. "Sir" Richard Raffan, I'm sure he's been Knighted by now...
    2. Stuart Batty, he's changed the way I turn for the better.
    3. Did i say Stuart Batty.

For me that one person that has influenced me the most has been Jeff Nicol. The best thing about Jeff is that he is only a few miles away and always willing to help with anything and give advice. Oh yea......he is also my wood pusher/dealer.

Two more would be Jimmy Clewes and Mike Mahoney.
    Mike Svoma

"There is nothing sexier than a woman in camoflage"

Bill Grumbine or at least his DVD on Turned Bowls Made Easy.
    Leo Vanderloo whose experience, advice, and posts on turning bowls have been invaluable and shown the almost endless possibilities.
    Steve Schlumpf for his constant support with everything from hollowforms to steadyrests and vaccum chucks.

1. My dad who got me started. I'm not sure if I should thank him or....
    2. Bob Hamilton who took the considerable amount of time and effort to post videos of his complete projects on YouTube. With out them I wouldn't know half of what was possible on a lathe. It was nice to watch a video start to finish and then go out to the garage and try it.
    3. and now the for the cop out answer, all the luminaries on this a other sites who posted tutorials and in progress pictures to help neophytes such as myself learn how to do that special piece.

After a lot of thought I would have to say:
    • Ray Key - his book was my bible when I first started back.
    • Andy Hoyt - His works and wit inspired me even when I wanter to throw my gouge through the wall.
    • Steve Russell - His professional approach and attention to detail really made me dig deeper and desire more.

• I can not leave out the Creek as it has played such an important role in helping me all the way through and still does.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning