Bud Latven
    Ray Allen
    Stephen Hogbin

All for the obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by George Guadiane View Post
    ~~ so?? ~~
    So, nothing...it was a joke George.

Wally

Hey Walley, I want to be the first smart a** to give this answer. How about Me, Myself, and I? Just kidding..... I first got interested in turning when I got my Fine Woodworking July/August 1983 edition, and the front cover had Ed Moulthrop turning a large hollow form. I got inspired, but the flame died quickly....... I purchased a lathe shortly after ward to build a table pedestal, and that's pretty much the only turning I did until I found SMC at the beginning of this year.......
    As far as inspiration goes, every thing I've seen here inspires me to "git'er done". That's my lathe I'm talking about.
    When it's done, I've got a lot of questions to be asking...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Probably Richard Raffan, Malcolm Tibbetts, and Ray Allen because of the teaching in their books. David

Bill Berry, Gulf Coast WoodturnersAssociation (Houston AAW Club). He is my Guru. I had two lessons from him in 2007 and that launched me deep into the vortex. Wonderful teacher, great man of character and fun to be with.

David Ellsworth and Richard Raffin. I don't know them personally, but I have read and re-read their books. Ellsworth on tool use and Raffin on design...hard to beat that combination.

Oh, and I must mention Ken Fitzgerald, yes, our very own KF. His introduction to the turning world by fellow members of the Creek, his enthusiasm and sharing of his experiences no doubt played a role in my peeking over the edge into the great abyss.

All the best, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

It would be impossible for me no nail it down to just three. I would say for me there are at least two categories with three people in each category, one category being "how to turn", the other being "what to turn". For 'How to turn" it would be Clead Christiansen of The Turning Post for teaching me how to properly sharpen the tools, Joe Wagner for opening my eyes to how easy it can be to make my own specialty tools, and whoever invented the Oneway scroll chuck (Talon) for making it so much easier to hold wood on the lathe. As for "What to turn" I believe in the scripture that reads "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." But the versions of wood art that I've aspired to have come from the lathe's of Keith Burns for hollowforms, Mark Cothren for bowls, and Steve Schlumpf for good all around advice.

A good, tough question to answer as I've been influenced by a number of folks. That said, I'll go with Mark Cothren, Keith Burns, and Travis Stinson.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Mike Mahoney, Bill Grumbine, and Alan Lacer. Another 2 that has had a great influence on my turning is Ernie Conover and Steve Schlumpf.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Kelly Dunn, Don Albrecht, and Elmer Adams - Big Island of Hawaii and seeing their work at the show there. Lots of inspiration from their different style of turnings and their sharing with a novice was really special and encouraged me to try different shapes and techniques.

Raffan, me, and the Collective Creeker. I've been turning for less than two years and have learned the most from those three.

Raffan because his book and video were my intro to turning and that is what I based my techniques on largely.

Me, because I just keep pushing myself to learn, expand and grow, both in form and technique.

And the Collective Creeker, because I have turned to this forum for a lot of info, advice and inspiration since jumping into this vortex. So give yourself a pat on the back!

At this point, I can think of only two.
    Steve Schlumpf who helped me get started.
    Bill Grumbine in his DVDs.

The third would be all of you people on this forum with all of the help and pictures of your work. Which reminds me that I need to start posting some pictures of my work.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Kevin Neeley, Malcolm Tibbetts, Ken Cowell - Segmenting
    Alan Lacer, Dave Ellsworth, Cindy Drousda - Technique
    Dave Ellsworth, Cindy Drozda, Bill Haskell - Form
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

This is a difficult question for me because I am only 1 1/2 years or so into this and I had never seen the well known turners do anything (either in person or video). But I found this place and with that I found a LOT of talent to infuence my own turnings. I was drawn, early to the perfect shapes of Keith Burns' HFs with that unique finial, Curt Fuller's ornaments with the segmented bulbs and smooth flowing pendants and in a pretty big way .. John Keaton for making me push my own limits. As most realize, John has a great eye for forms and is a natural turner. His rapid gain in skill level made me "pick up the pace" and realize there are alot of things to be turned that arent a bowl!

There are many others that I have been influenced by or that I mimic thier styles in the pursuit of creating my own style, but you said 3 people!

That ought to swell a few heads!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Malcolm Tibbets - i stumbled across his website and gallery and got inspired to try turning
    and
    all of you guys here who ,post your turnings ,provide honest critiques in a positive, encouraging way , are more than willing to share your experiences,knowledge and insight with all of us who are wanting to learn as much as we can

thanks more than i can say it may be a vortex but its been a heckuva fun ride so far

Raffan, Grumbine, Batty.